Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt airport hotels - June 8, 2023

We are scheduled for the RS Best of Germany tour in May 23 -June 4 2023, We had reservations to return to the US from Berlin via Frankfurt on 08June. However, Lufthansa canceled the Berlin - US leg and we are now scheduled to fly from Frankfurt to US on 09June. We had thought to spend the evening of 08June at an airport hotel in Frankfurt. However, the airport hotels (and hotels in central Frankfurt and also near the train station) are all more than 400€ for that night, which seems to be about double their usual rate.

Does anybody know why that would be? Thank you.

Posted by
2322 posts

Irrespective of what others might say, take it from someone who has been in Frankfurt more than once, there's never much going on in that city anyway and as a result I'm a big proponent of staying out at the airport - places to eat the evening before, easy transition to check-in in the morning and having said that, hotel rates are always steep this far out - relax and check back well into the New Year.

Posted by
651 posts

Huh, weird question, but have you called Lufthansa to ask them to re-book you on a 08June flight? There's a hefty penalty on EU carriers for cancelled flights, which I've not had to use, but much discussion on RS about it. My neighbor filed a claim & it took about 8 weeks to get compensation. Be sure to keep all proof of flight delay & hotel charges, meals etc if you choose to go this route. https://www.businessinsider.com/flight-delayed-compensation-canceled-europe-eu-2022-9#:~:text=250%20euros%20(%24251)%20for,flights%20longer%20than%203%2C500%20km.

"If a flight's departure is postponed to the next day, travelers are entitled to an overnight stay in a hotel and travel to and from the airport. For flights delayed by more than five hours, airlines must offer to reimburse one's ticket and offer a flight to their original point of departure."

Here's the official EU site - https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/travel/passenger-rights/air/index_en.htm

Posted by
338 posts

I did a quick check on Booking and found a range of prices from 99Euro for the Marriott Moxy to a little more for a Hilton property. Recheck your search.

Posted by
19092 posts

The last time I flew out of FRA to the US, I stayed at Hotel Königshof in Mainz. It's less expensive than the hotels in the airport and right across the Bahnhofsplatz from the Mainz Hbf, from which there are frequent S-Bahns to the airport. Great breakfast, comfortable rooms. I might not recommend staying there for your vacation, but for the last night, it's perfect.

Posted by
8942 posts

There is probably a convention or trade fair in town. That always triples the prices. Have you looked at any of the hotels in Gateway Gardens? Only one stop on the S-bahn or a bus from the airport. Was just out there yesterday making a video and the place is full of hotels and restaurants!
If you want to stay in Frankfurt and do a bit of historic sightseeing, there are some nice hotels right outside of the north exit of the train station, a deluxe Flemings, a Flemings Express, and Hamburger Hof. The station is 4 stops from the airport, with a train every 15 min.
Contrary to what periscope says, Frankfurt has so much to see, after 36 years, I still discover new things on almost a daily basis. Much as I like Rick Steves, his section on Frankfurt leaves out many of the best sites. Since 8 June is a Thurs. one of our very best Farmers Market is happening. Only local products.

Periscope, next time you visit, let me show you around and perhaps you will change your opinion? I think you will be pleasantly surprised at all that you have missed.

Posted by
2322 posts

let me show you around and perhaps you will change your opinion

Nah, for more than 25 years my Taunus friends have dragged me through every nook and cranny of Frankfurt - I'll pass and I remain resolute on my "not much going on".
Hey I have written about what I thought is the one shining star in Frankfurt

" ... I continue to say that Frankfurt is on the lower end of the tourism spectrum for a reason but if you have a couplea hours to kill, make your way over to the Sachsenhausen district, have a quick walk around, grab your place at a restaurant outdoor picnic table and order any dish that features Grüne Soße (Green Sauce) usually with hard-boiled eggs and boiled potatoes or if you're really hungry, order the Tafelspitz (boiled beef) mit Grüner Soße, maybe some Handkäse mit Musik (marinated Cheese with onions) and a glass of Apfelwein (Apple Cider) - there, you've captured the essence of the Hessen traditional culinary scene, you've paid your respects to Germany's financial capital and you're now free to move onward."

Posted by
6637 posts

I always do as Lee has suggested if possible... spend my last evening in Mainz before flying home from FRA. From Mainz Hbf station, 2-3 trains per hour will take you directly to FRA's Regionalbahnhof station (inside the airport facility) for €5.60. Just buy a ticket at the station before boarding. Several hotels lie within steps of the station... the Hammer, the Königshof, the B&B Hotel, the Intercity, the Mercure... lots of choices, and a pretty good area to be in.

Photo of the Königshof and the Hammer

Posted by
19092 posts

I actually like the looks of the Gateway Gardens option. There are quite a few hotels there. I see one, the MOXY (Marriot) for less than 80€ per night for 2 on June 8. Use Google Maps to find more. The S-Bahn station is a little far north from the hotels, but a lot of the hotels are along or close to Amelia Earhart Str., and there is a bus stopping near the Moxy that goes to Terminal 1 in 10 minutes, for 1,60€/P.

In addition to Gateway Gardens on the east, there are S-Bahn stations going into the airport from the west at Rüsselsheim, Raunheim, and Kelsterbach (find on Google Maps) with reasonably priced hotels within walking distance of the S-Bahn stations. The fare from those towns to the airport is 3,65€/P.

There are lots of options other than hotels right at the airport or in Frankfurt.

Posted by
2322 posts

More important than last evening in Germany logistics - your Best of Germany tour is plunk in the middle of the annual Spargelsaison - every meal, so many options, all served with the magic of fresh daily white asparagus.

Posted by
8 posts

I'll add another vote for staying in Mainz. Super easy to reach airport by train and its only 30ish minutes! Plus the Mainz cathedral is gorgeous, the Guttenberg Museum fascinating and the Chagal Windows in St Stephans are beautiful!! You might even run into a fun festival in Mainz, it is wine region!!

Posted by
174 posts

If you want to stay the last night in Frankfurt, there are many hotels right near the Haupbahnhof train station. I have stayed at the Hotel Excelsior many times and it is literally across the street from the train station. It leaves from Track 103 I believe. You can buy your ticket and be at the airport in about 10 minutes! Nice to know you are close and such an easy process. The hotel is very affordable and I found it clean and comfortable with a good breakfast.

Posted by
8942 posts

Joy, I am not sure if the Excelsior is still in business. The south exit hotels have gotten rather run down the last few years.
There are nicer hotels outside of the north exit - a Flemings, a Steigenberger, and Hamburger Hof.

Posted by
980 posts

Probably a trade fair in Frankfurt. That happened to me in September so I ended up staying in Mannheim. Only 30 mins away from the airport by ICE and an advance ticket cost less than 13€.
DJ

Posted by
1161 posts

We stayed at the Hilton inside train/airport and it was most reasonable. I think we booked the Hilton Garden Inn next to the Hilton and they moved us up to the Hilton. Nice room, very convenient. We just walked downstairs to the Lufthansa luggage drop and we were on our way.

Posted by
14507 posts

When flying out of FRA to SFO, say in June/July, my flight leaves late enough so that I can easily stay the night before opposite of Frankfurt Hbf with plenty of time to spare getting to FRA by taking the S-Bahn. That 3 star hotel charged for a single less than 80 Euro. Never had to stay at FRA itself due to a pressing time constraint, there is such a hotel for that contingency.

Posted by
1943 posts

Not much going on in Frankfurt-? Maybe 20 years ago but today with the rebuilt downtown and parks have transformed the city. It's like saying there's nothing going on in Cleveland. Sure it's not NYC, but it has The Flats, The Baseball Hall of Fame and some wonderful neighborhoods.

I'd stay in Frankfurt.

Posted by
30 posts

We've stayed at the Holiday Inn Moerfelden many times, should be around $125 or $150 for that time of year. There are a bunch of hotels just south of the Airport- all within quick drive or hotel-shuttle ride to FRA- also about 10 newer hotels directly across from the Airport on the northside across the A3. Summer will always be more expensive, but you should have no problem getting something under $200-