Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt Airport

Hi everyone, do you think 1.5 hours is enough time for a connection at Frankfurt airport for an international flight (Berlin-Frankfurt-USA)

Posted by
2266 posts

Likely enough from my experience - also with change of terminal.

Posted by
19099 posts

What airlines? If it is all Lufthansa, or United, which code shares with United, probably. You might make the connection, but checked baggage, particularly if not United/Lufthansa, might not make it. But oh, well, you are going home, right?

Posted by
19099 posts

We last flew out of Frankfurt in 2017. I don't know how things have changed since then, and they can change again any day, but back then, if your flight came in from a Schengen country to an A gate and you went out from a Z gate, it was a really simple change. A and Z are just two separate floors on the same building (Z gates are for outside Schengen, A are for inside Schengen, A1 and Z1 are on top of each other and share a Jetway.). Near gates 1 (A1 and Z1) is the immigration/emigration area. Going out, there is passport check on the A floor, then you go upstair (escalators, as I remember) to the Z floor and go to your gate. There is no security between the floors; the security is just when you enter the complex onto the A floor from the non-secure part of the terminal.

Now if you are coming into a B or C gate, that's another story. But I think (someone could confirm this) that there are Schengen and "air-side" stations for the Skyway people mover, and that it is all inside security (?). There is also a tunnel between A and B. But it might involve going through security. In 2002 (4 month after 911) I changed gates coming from Munich, into A, and going out to Denver, from B in less than an hour, using the tunnel. It was right after 911, and as I recall we went through security three times then.

Posted by
8946 posts

Look up both of your flight #, it will tell you which gate your arrival and departure flights usually are. (use google or use Fraports website. They often use the same gates every time. Coming from Berlin, this will probably be a smaller plane and you will deplane quickly. If Lufthansa didn't think 1.5 hours was enough, they wouldn't have sold you the ticket. Lufthansa uses A and Z almost exclusively. I have never seen them use gate C and I am at the airport ALL the time.

3 hours between flights is a bit too much unless you were coming and going to some scarier places or places where they would be scrutinizing your passport with a fine-tooth comb.

Posted by
494 posts

I would agree with AshleyMIA on this one. The Frankfurt airport can be tough. I have had them give my seat away while I was literally standing a few feet from the check-in in the "bonus" security line. I had literally run between flights and made it with enough time but the airline was dawdling along without any concern for those of us stuck in their own line. My seat was given to a standby. How much consideration did they give?? Talk to the hand.

Posted by
52 posts

If I were to miss my flight due to the connection being too short would Lufthansa rebook me for free?

Posted by
6418 posts

If you have bought is as one ticket, Lufthansa will make sure you get to your destination in case of delays.

Posted by
52 posts

Thanks everyone for the replies. Last question: would Lufthansa rebook me even if I book a economy light/economy basic ticket?

Posted by
459 posts

Yes, you should have no problems. I have done many a tighter connection in FRA. Obviously you won't have a lot of time for snacks and shopping, but it shouldn't be too problematic. I have also not had trouble with my luggage with that connection. And yes, Lufthansa will rebook you if your first flight is delayed and you miss the second; however, you should be fine. The airport is big, but it is easy to navigate. I consider 1,5 hours enough to comfortably get to my gate and, if needed, grab a snack once I am close to my gate. I usually then download one last book onto my Kindle Unlimited while at the gate because I inevitably finish one on my previous flight ;) Most US bound flights have an extra security screening, sometimes to get into the extra waiting area. Check where you are on time before entering because you might not be able to leave again to grab food, though they do generally have a bathroom.

If it were Paris, I'd worry. Amsterdam and Frankfurt, no problem, especially if it's all one airline.

Posted by
256 posts

Hi gang,

If for some reason Germany does not open to US tourists by the time I leave in mid-July, I would go to Spain instead.
Would that be an issue if I transfer via Frankfurt Airport? Would they permit me to land and then continue on the route to Spain? This would all be on Lufthansa.