Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt airport

Has anyone ever had a good experience at Frankfurt airport? All of the recent reviews are horrible. I will be traveling next June and all of my connections seem to go through Frankfurt. Possible flight connection or transfer to train.

Posted by
15819 posts

It worked for me every time. But my connections are all with Lufthansa, so that might make a difference.

LH flights from North America arrive at gates Z, while Schengen flights depart from gates A. The are actually on the same terminal 1 (Z gates are one level directly above A gates), however depending on which specific Z gate you arrive and which A gate you depart you might still have to walk a long distance, as it may not be just going to the level below. There are rolling walkways, but the T1 has multiple piers and they are pretty long.

Also consider that FRA has more flights than its terminals can handle, and T3 is still under construction, therefore there is a chance that your plane, instead of docking at a gate, might stop in the middle of the tarmac, and you will have to board buses to the terminal. That process adds a little extra time to the deplaning and going to the connecting gate.

Posted by
6923 posts

I was shuttled 2 weeks ago from Z to my LH transfer terminal... We got off the bus and waited in a hot, stuffy, dirty hall way with no ventilation for 10 minutes until the doorman got the signal to let us out. He was untrained on how to latch the security door into an open position, so it kept trying to close on the passengers as they entered. Thought I had landed in some other country by mistake.

Posted by
14758 posts

I am not interested in what reviews have to say about FRA, I don't read them anyway. Recent experience with FRA are those of last summer and this summer, using it 4 times, r/t SFO to FRA and return.

I have no problems with FRA, it's functional, but then I am not there after the 11 hour overnight flight from SFO to connect elsewhere. Instead, I take the train as I did in May a couple hours after landing and another 5.5 hrs to Berlin.

I fly United despite its reputation but it is consistent....no real problems there either arr or dep FRA.

Posted by
541 posts

When I travelled frequently I usually passed through there at least once every other month. I rarely had problems. There are situations mid-night you can end up feeling like a hamster in a cage, but by and large, it's a good functional airport. I would much rather pass through there than CDG.
I was through FRA this week and it was 100% fine. On our way to Z, we opted not to attend the far away lounges and instead sat and enjoyed a pleasant draft beer. The flight boarded and departed on time..... no complaints.
Some people complain about the extra screening that UA passengers get... I'm fine with it. Make time for it.

Posted by
558 posts

Dozens of good experiences at FRA over the past 30 years. The past 5 years are still OK even though I am now on my on $ and flying coach. FRA is big and you have to stand in lines and sit in crowded departure halls unless you have premium status on your airline. This makes FRA no differenct from every other major airport. The T1 - T2 train was down on one of my trips, but they had a bus to replace it.

My only negative comment is delays and connections. I learned to never trust inbound connection to FRA for a flight back to the US. I always spend the night before flying out of FRA at a hotel at the airport or in Gateway Gardens.

Though not specific to FRA the airport itself, there are some good places to eat, drink and buy groceries at the attached regional train station, which makes for easy connections across Germany.

Posted by
291 posts

What reviews? Who reviews an airport? People who have had a bad experience, I'm guessing.

Posted by
6923 posts

Couple more details... a cancelled connecting flight resulted in a long FRA layover in the LH gate area. I don't know how many mice one should expect to see, on average, during a 5-hr. layover, but I did see one scamper across the floor there. I probably only noticed him because he hid behind a drinking fountain / water-bottle filling device that I was watching with interest. After seeing the crazy-long lines at the coffee counters, I had given up on coffee and gone in search of water. I then tried unsuccessfully to fill my water bottle at said fountain. It was not a built-in water fountain with plumbing-supplied water, but a free-standing plug-in unit that uses big jugs to supply the water. It had run dry, no one had installed a fresh jug, and many others were approaching it as I had with their empty water bottles, only to be denied. So my negative impressions of FRA (an airport which I too have used many times in the past without incident) resulted from an accumulation of smaller problems that seemed to be crying out for attention.

Posted by
49 posts

Connecting in FRA, especially from NA to Schengen flights can be a bit harrowing, especially in your inbound is late. I'd generally allow a min. of 90 min. if possible, or even 2 hrs.

On my recent trip to Germany, I had no issues, and my outbound experience was particularly pleasant. I stay at the Moxy at the airport the night before departure. It is short walk and single S-bahn stop from there to the main terminal. Security on this trip was quick and border control was around 20 min. For Air Canada and probably United, if you see a giant line, there is a second border control point if you keep going to the right that usually has shorter lines. This was all quicker than planned, so I tried both the Lufthansa Senator and Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge. Both were great but the LH lounge had more food options and a full sit-down bar.