Please sign in to post.

Frankfurt

I'm flying in and out of Frankfurt but not sure it's worth staying there. Thoughts?

Posted by
9148 posts

You will get a lot of opinions on Frankfurt. I have lived here for 37 years and find it fascinating. I find new things here on almost a daily basis.
It is one of the older cities in Germany and has many eras of historic importance. There has been a palace and church here since about 680, but the Franks got here in 450 and the Romans around 70 AD. It was the chosen election city for the Holy Roman Emperors, also the site for 10 coronations, it had the first enclosed Jewish Ghetto and also the longest lasting one, it was the center for Jewish culture for centuries and before WW2, had the 2nd largest Jewish population in Germany. Their medieval cemetery dates back to 1272. It is the birthplace of Anne Frank as well as the Rothschild family. The 1st freely elected German parliament was here. One of the oldest churches in Germany is here - the Justinus church built between 830-850. The neighborhood of Höchst is on the half-timbered route. There are 4 medieval churches in the downtown area that survived the bombings, St. Leonhards, Alte Nikolai, Deutsche Orden. (the Kaiserdom only needed a new roof). The neighborhood of Sachsenhausen if full of applewine pubs which are unique and many of the buildings are centuries old. The Kleinmarkthalle is a treat and must see. The Karmeleiter Cloister has the largest religious wall paintings north of the alps done 1513-1521. There are dozens of museums to match any interests you might have. The Auschwitz trials were held here. You can visit a WW2 bunker built on the ruins of a synagogue the Nazis destroyed and see the virtual recontructions of at least 25 Synagogues being created by a technical university. The IG Farben building is here as this was their home office. The Nazis could not have fought WW2 with out them. It is open to the public. The Gesappo jail is open on Sat. afternoons if you want to see the horrific conditions that people endured. The farmers markets in the city are amazing. The Palmengarten is always worth a visit. The new Alt Stadt is charming and you can see the skilled craftmanship that went into making it.

Hope that answered your question ok.

Posted by
15771 posts

Frankfurt is one of the truly underrated cities for tourists, with a beautiful cathedral in a charming historic center, very walkable with good food and much to explore. It's also well-situated for day trips to nearby worthwhile destinations. My favorites were Mainz and Büdingen.

Posted by
1331 posts

Ms Jo, thank you. You gave me a couple new things to look into. I may just have to take a ride up there this weekend.

Posted by
586 posts

What Ms Jo said!

Let me add that the Stadel Museum is very good. Not the largest collection in Germany, yet still a very good one.

As an occasional traveler in and out of Frankfurt, I always enjoy a vist to the GALERIA Frankfurt an der Hauptwache. I head up to the rooftop resturant and have either a coffee or beer while overlook the city.

Posted by
16068 posts

I thought Frankfurt was nothing more than a financial center before I visited

Then I visited the city and took the Frankfurt on Foot walking tour. It showed me a city I wasn't aware of.