Please sign in to post.

First Trip To Germany

Hey everyone,

I posted on tripadvisor and received some very good feedback from the community. Now I'm looking for second opinions before booking hotels and locking myself into an itinerary. As of now, my entire trip through Germany will rely on trains.

Day 1 (September 4th): Arrive in Frankfurt at 10:40am from New York, then take the train to Rüdesheim or Bingen and board the ferry to St. Goar. Spend three nights in St. Goar. Explore the region.

Day 4: Arrive in Stuttgart, spend most of the day sightseeing in Stuttgart-Mitte before heading to the hotel (I need recommendations for where to stay). Spend three nights. Depending on where the hotel is, should I stash my luggage in the Hbf or check in first?

From Stuttgart, I'm planning on one day trip to Ludwigsburg and Heidelberg, and spending the other full day visiting the Fernsehturm, Mercedes Benz Museum, and Esslingen.

Day 7: Arrive in Munich and spend four nights. I don't have any day trips planned, so my entire time will be devoted to exploring the city.

Day 11: Arrive in Mittenwald where I'll spend three nights. I plan on doing some short hikes around the area and just enjoying the scenery. I'll likely take the Karwendelbahn lift on whichever day has the most agreeable weather. I'm debating taking the train to see Linderhof (I have minimal interest in Neuschwanstein).

Day 14: Train to Bamberg, spend most of the day, then train to Frankfurt and spend the night. Fly home on the morning of September 18th.

Is this itinerary too ambitious? The plane ticket is purchased and I've also booked a hotel for the three nights in St. Goar. Other than that, the trip is subject to change.

Posted by
7731 posts

I guess you are going to the museums and taking daytrips in and from Stuttgart. I was just there one day last week maybe not enough but the city seem kind of bland nothing exciting

Munich (over rated when it comes to tourism promotion) for me was pretty bland also; 4 nights seems like a stretch and no day trips at least take one to Salzburg, Austria.

Posted by
26840 posts

I'm not sure whether that boat trip on Day 1 is the only one you plan to take. If so, I would reconsider. Many people are so sleep-deprived and jetlagged on their arrival day that they are barely functional. I wouldn't waste a world-class view on that day. If I sat down at that point of the day I would almost certainly fall asleep. I need to keep moving, outdoors if I am to have a prayer of staying awake on Day 1.

Posted by
2898 posts

While based in St. Goar, try to see Marksburg Castle. Best preserved medieval castle on the Rhine.

Love Mittenwald. The Karwendelbahn is terrific. The scenery is stunning in the area. We’ve spent 6 nights in Mittenwald. The luge ride (Sommerrodelbahn) in Garmisch is a lot of fun. In Mittenwald our favorite place for coffee and dinner is “der Kleiner Kartoffelsack” in the pedestrian zone. Friendly, fun, local atmosphere.

If you have interest in an over the top, gilded palace, Linderhof is tops. I personally love the interior.

Paul

Posted by
3809 posts

I like your plan! Not the same old first Germany trip. I was in Stuttgart last year for Christmas markets. I liked it, but I like most things German. I don't know what you're looking for in lodging, but I stayed at the Motel One near the main train station (Hbf). Motel One is a German chain with reasonable prices for small rooms that have a touch of design flare. It was a convenient location, especially for catching trains to Ludwigsburg and to Esslingen. Sarah at Stuttgart Steps offers walking tours of Stuttgart and Esslingen; I did two tours with her and recommend her, if you are interested in such things.

I'm hoping you'll come back and leave a Trip Report after you return from your trip. I'm interested in hearing about how things go!

Posted by
1477 posts

We stayed at the City Hotel in Stuttgart and liked it. It is in a neighborhood just outside the city center, an easy walk to the castles in town.

You mentioned Ludwigsburg. We thought the Komfort Hotel near the train station in Ludwigsburg was a pretty good bargain. Good train connections to the area. If you are thinking of day trips, it might serve you better than staying in the city center. Ludwigsburg has its share of restaurants and tourist services.