Please sign in to post.

First trip sense 1982

Going to Germany for my 50th Birthday with my wife and 16 year old daughter. We are looking at going the end of May and the first of June have around 2 weeks could stretch a little if needed. Here is what I’m thinking and wanting ideas if it is doable or not also if I should by a German rail pass or not

Germany.
München day 1
City center
Marienplatz main square glockenspiel
Hofbrauhaus beer hall
The Residenz Royals museum??
Nazi document center
Out side of city day 2
Dachau concentration camp travel and tour of
Nymphenburg palace.
Salzbug Day 3
Neuenschwande castle day 4
Nuremberg day 5
City walking tour on own
Nazi documentation center/Rally grounds
Day trip to Rothenburg day 6
RS walking tour imperial museum day 7
Relax in Nuremburg day 8
Berlin days 9-11
Reichstag , Brandenburg Gate, German history Museum, Berlin Wall memorial

Please give input on things I’m missing and ideas of places to eat and stay should I get a rail pass?

Posted by
2231 posts

1982 ... guess you will explore a new country :-)

For the Bavarian days I suggest Bavaria ticket if you do not want to use speed trains to Nuremberg.

Time in Berlin is relatively short compared to Nuremberg - would shift 1 day. Do not underestimate Berlin's manifold of sights and size of city - means time to explore.

Suggest to reserve online for Reichstag visit (ealiest 2 months before, 3 months if guided tour).

Make yourself familiar with Berlin public transport and check VisitBerlin for more inspiration.

Posted by
27111 posts

If Day 1 is the day you arrive via an overnight flight, I think you are expecting way too much of your travel group that day, given the likelihood that at least some of you will be suffering from sleep-deprivation as well as jetlag. I'd plan to stay outside if the weather's OK. Perhsps take a walking tour if you can find one that doesn't have to be pre-booked.

Add all the time you can. As you continue your planning, you'll discover more things you want to see and do. Berlin is a huge city (figurr on considerable travel time between sights) with many large, excellent, museums and historic sites.

Posted by
2 posts

Good thoughts. I may reverse the trip and start in Berlin add a day. I have more time in Nuremburg because I use to live there. I know I will not see much that I remember but want to just walk around

Posted by
867 posts

I'm guessing you're an Army brat, and if that's correct there's not a lot of what you knew left in Nuremberg. All the old Kasarnes are empty and have been since the 90's. A couple don't exist anymore in a form you'd recognize (like what used to be the main PX.) Still, if you know where to look you can find some of the old landmarks. If you want to show your family what it's like where there's a still a US military presence you can find that in Ansbach or Illeshiem.

I think you have too much planned on your day one (Munich) list, but otherwise you should be OK. I'd probably just do one of the document centers (cut the Munich one). If you get a car drive the road from Nuremberg thru Erlangen down to Bad Windsheim and then to Rothenburg odT and go back via Ansbach (in a loop) That will give you the best scenic route and should bring back some memories.

I also think that the idea of Salzburg as a day trip is something proposed by people who've never been there. I've never been able to spend less than three days and I always leave planning to come back. I'll recommend you go do Ludwig's castles (not just the one) and stay a night down that way in a place like Garmish instead.

If your daughter is not used to beer or wine you may want to let her try them prior to going over; as what she's used to is going to be different even if available.