Please sign in to post.

First time trip to Germany

Hello everyone. I did look over some recent topics to see if any spoke to my question and I did not see any that gave me the answers I am looking for.
My daughter and I will be going to Germany in August from August 7th to the 17th. We have a tentative itinerary planned out but I tend to get a little overwhelmed with too much information and bogged down with trying to work out the smallest of details. We will land in Munich on Aug. 7th and we are driving to Prague.
We will be in Prague on the afternoon of the 7th and all day on the 8th and then driving on the 9th to Budapest. We will then be in Budapest the afternoon of the 9th and all day on the 10th and then driving back to Munich on the 11th. Our first full day in Munich will begin on the 12th and we will be turning the car in that morning at the airport.
I have tours scheduled in Prague and Budapest. From Munich, I have booked a tour for the Neuschwanstein Castle for the 13th and a day trip from Salzburg to Hallstatt on the 15th.
We plan to make the trip up to Zugspitze on our own and roam around Garmisch-Partenkirchen on the 14th.
Now, having shared all of that, I want to know if it is possible to take a train that will stop at Regensburg, then Nuremberg and end in Rothensberg?
I have read comments about the different trains, getting off, getting on etc. but what is the basic information? If we take a train to Regensburg to explore, when would another train come through that we can take on to Nuremberg and so on, and so on or is that even feasible?

Posted by
2214 posts

Be very careful with destination names. Do you mean "Rothensberg" or "Rothenburg ob der Tauber". Likely the second one but with first wrong name you will be guided wrong by tools. Other names are OK.

Posted by
24 posts

OK. I googled some more. Do you know if it is possible to hop on and off trains reasonably for these 3 locations?

Posted by
3044 posts

You don't mention your experience with European travel. Your itinerary sounds like you have not been. Often first-time travelers want to do it all. You can either travel all the time and do no tourist things (museums, cafes), or travel a little and do more tourist things.

A lot of driving in this trip, and not much time for touring. Each city (Prague, Budapest) have enough to keep you going for 4-5 days. Consider dropping Budapest. It's a wonderful place, but you would be able to spend another day in Prague. On the way back, you could go to Cesky Krumlow, which gets high marks for a destination. Another option is to eliminate Prague and Budapest, and stick entirely with Germany. There are hundreds of great places to go in Germany. Leave the other countries for the next trip.

When you change locations, you spend time packing (1-2 hours), time in transit (Munich - Prague - 5 hours), time gassing up, etc. The day of travel will not have any time for touring. If that's what you want, great. For my wife and myself, travel days are often not good for touring.

I don't really see any time in Munich on your list. You will be there in Aug 12, but at Neuschwanstein on the 13, and Salzburg-Hallstadt on the 15. 14 is Garmisch. In Munich, there are actually many things to do. There is the palace. There is the tour of Nazi sites (Hitler's regime began there, and seeing the actual beer hall is interesting). There is Nymphanberg palace. There are several famous beer halls. You don't seem to leave much time for those. Is that what you want? Every day on a train or in the car? I would not enjoy such a trip, but you must decide.

Another suggestion is to consider rail travel. I'm pretty sure you can do all your trips on rail. Americans reflexively think "I need to be in a car". In Germany in particular, this is not the case. Trains are fast, not expensive, and you don't get traffic tickets or side-swiped when using them. To explore options for transit, the Rome2Rio site is good. It gives you a generally accurate picture of the several choices you have in travel.

Posted by
8942 posts

Where are you flying in from? If you have been on a trans-Atlantic flight, the last thing you need to do is drive a car. Especially a long distance. This is as dangerous as driving drunk. The best thing would be to stay overnight in Munich and then start your travels. Have you added in how long each of these trips will take you to drive? Are you able to change your tour dates that you have reserved in the various cities?

Posted by
2332 posts

Now, having shared all of that, I want to know if it is possible to take a train that will stop at Regensburg, then Nuremberg and end in Rothensberg?

Trains run at least hourly, but that's not the problem with your plan. Are you thinking of doing the whole trip on the only day that's still open in your itinerary? Let's take a look on travel times (assuming that you would take regional trains to take advantage of the cheap Bayern Ticket):

München - Regensburg approx. 1:30
Regensburg - Nürnberg 1:05
Nürnberg - Rothenburg 1:15

Including walking to / from the centers that's 4:30 travel time at a minimum plus approx 3 hours back from Rothenburg to Munich. So you will have barely time for sightseeing and you will be exhausted in the evening. I'd slow things down and concentrate on either Regensburg or Nürnberg or add the day to Munich.

BTW, There is no need to drive to Prague, and, as said by Ms. Jo, after a overnight flight it's dangerous. And in big cities like Prague and Budapest a car is an hindrance. I'd take the bus from MUC to nearby Freising instead and from there the direct ALX train to Prague (e.g. MUC dep. 10:41, Freising dep. 11:08). You can buy a "Prague Special" ticket aboard the train (there are cheaper tickets avaiable in the E-Shop of Czech train, but they are train specific, which is a bit risky since your flight could be delayed). Then I'd take either the night train from Prague to Budapest or a cheap flight (EasyJet, Ryanair etc., details on Google Flights or kayak.com or skyscanner.com); same for Budapest - Munich.

Posted by
24 posts

I have researched cars, buses and trains and driving actually gets us to our destinations quicker than the bus or train and it is more economical as I will have use of the car from the 7th thru the 12th for only $200. It is just to get from point A to B, plus, I assumed that it would give us the advantage of pulling over to do some sight seeing along the way if we saw something that caught our fancy. We would use local trams etc. inside Prague and Budapest and plan on the Bayern ticket for use in Munich and for day trip travel.
This is our first experience and my mind set is that it could be our only trip to Germany therefore we would like to take in as much as possible. The 16th is a day I planned for us to stay in Munich since we will be traveling back home on the 17th. The 12th is possibly the day I would like to travel to Regensburg, Nuremberg and Rothenburg if it is doable.

I realize that there is alot to see but I have purchased Rick Steve's guide books and he does point out "must sees" vs trying to see "everything". We are going with the "must sees".

Posted by
24 posts

sla019- thank you for that info. Maybe we should try Rothenburg on Monday and add Regensburg to our Friday since it is closer to Munich?

We could just take Nuremberg out of the equation.

We will travel from Budapest to Munich on a Sunday which I felt like was just a wash since most things are closed on Sunday to see.

If I extend time to Prague and take out Budapest then I will have to find a different Airbnb as the one I currently have reserved is already booked beyond my last day there. Not sure how that improves my time in Munich unless I travel back from Prague on Saturday the 10th.
I think my daughter will be disappointed if we take out Budapest.

Posted by
3044 posts

Just because Rick says that it is a "must see", that's not a law. That's just his opinion.

While you are correct on the facts of driving and costs, there are other issues. Will you take the insurance? That's gonna up your costs. Parking is not free, nor easy to find in many European cities, which are small, crowded, and have different rules about driving than you are used to. We've moved away from cars, and find that train travel is much more pleasant as we do not need to be consulting maps all the time. Also don't forget that you can get traffic tickets.

We just did a trip. We had 30 days. In that time, we spent 3 nights in each location. We had 8 locations, but with 3 nights in each we had time to see things. That allowed us to spend time on fun stuff, not on simply moving from one place to the next.

It's your trip, not ours. You make the decisions. But remember that if you don't see one thing, you will see something else. It's not like eliminating Budapest means that you sit in a room for the day. No, you will just travel less and see different things. I guess you have a real interest in seeing specific things.

Here's an exercise to help your planning: Pick the city and look at a guidebook. Write down all the things you want to do. You don't say if you are interested in museums, churches, hitting the bars, or whatever. But list whatever you want to do. Basically, experienced travelers plan on 1-2 things in the morning (usually 1) and 1 in the afternoon. There is also the evening. What specific things are on the Prague list? You have time for 3-4. Budapest, same. I can give you a list of 30 things for Budapest. Same with Prague. Your trip is sort of like Cliff notes for Europe. You may hit the high points, but the depth and bredth of a place will be missed.

Posted by
24 posts

I have not considered insurance but we have obtained our International Driver's permit. We contacted our Airbnb hosts to inquire about parking near where we are staying and both had options that seem to be relatively convenient and cost effective. I did this before we made the decision on the car.
I researched the train option and felt that it was more expensive than I was lead to believe plus again, the train really does take longer and the bus even longer than that. Since we are trying to do "alot" it just seems that our best bet is to get to where we are going as quick as we can.

I will discuss with my daughter to see if she wants to eliminate Budapest. The only good thing that can come out of that is that we could take the tour to Zugspitze on that Sunday since that is the only time they offer a tour instead of us trying to navigate that on our on.

The theme here seems to be less is more.
Thanks to everyone for the input. It is appreciated.

Posted by
3044 posts

Well, "less is more" is not really the theme. The real theme is "more time on sight-seeing, less time on travel between cities". No one advises you to do less. Rather, we suggest that you do more in each city.

Every big city has a bunch of stuff to do. I've been to Munich now 3 times. I can give you 10-12 things, plus there is the "wander around and look at stuff" activity that my wife and I do a lot. When you go to fewer places, you see more of the sites in each place. Your trip will involve going to many places, and doing 1-2 things. That's one kind of trip, and you may find that to be fun. Most who travel frequently in Europe here are not fond of such trips.

Here's a different way to think: Every day in Europe, you can do 1-3 things. You can pick things to do. One of those is "travel to another city". It takes the place of something else. You have 10 days or so, which gives you time for 25-30 things (and that's a high count). You plan on traveling on almost every day. So, you will have 10 travel activities, and 15 non-travel activities. If you go to fewer places, you trade travel activities for actual sight-seeing. Time is fixed.

Posted by
24 posts

I will say, we are just southern gals from lower Alabama. We may not ever get an opportunity to travel again or it may plant the travel bug seed into our souls that causes us to forego movies and food (haha-not likely) to save money for another trip. Who knows. I just feel that I really want to get the most bang for my buck if that makes any sense or not. I don't want to feel rushed and I think if I can make a plan of things that I want to see and I see those things then I will be happy.
I do love driving. I have grandeur thoughts of driving through some of the most scenic landscapes that I have ever or will ever see. Am I wrong? Will there not be beautiful scenery on the drive?

Maybe if we get to come again in the future we can plan for a more laid back, leisurely trip for relaxing.

Posted by
2332 posts

I researched the train option and felt that it was more expensive

I'm curious where you got your info on train fares from. For example, you can travel from Munich to Prague with a train specific ticket for €14.50 pp and from Budapest to Munich for €29.00 pp if booked with the national carriers.

OTOH, gas alone plus the Czech motorway sticker (don't forget to buy that, otherwise it will get expensive) sum up to about €55 for MUC to Prague, and for the Budapest-Munich trip to at least €80 (you'd need a toll sticker for both Hungary and Austria). Plus the full CDW for the rental car.

Posted by
24 posts

I went on several sites and downloaded apps. I used the Rome2Rio to check prices and the DB navigator. I am on the DB navigator site now and 1 ticket to Prague from the Munich airport is showing as 74,40 euro.

Posted by
3044 posts

You say "I don't want to feel rushed". Huh. Your trip plans say otherwise.

Of course the drives have beautiful scenery. When you are on the train, you see the same things, but you can actually look at it. Americans are fixed on driving. In Germany in particular, you can do very well with trains.

Here's a section of our trip earlier this year: We flew into Budapest on May 30 (our third visit). We spent 4 nights. We went to Szentendre (small city N of Budapest) on Day 1. We went to Godollo (palace S of city) on Day 2. On Day 3, we went to the Great Market Hall and had lunch, and found the Cat Cafe for a snack. We did a lot of walking. We found 3 fun cheap restaurants. We also went to a ballet (Snow White), in which we saw 5000 small children all dressed to the nines, which was fun. And that was just in the audience. We also went to Kadarka Wine bar, the Hungarian Agriculture Museum, and the National Art Gallery. Plus we spent a morning on Heroes Square looking at the statues, and at the other tourists. On Day 4, we left for Pecs. We had a good breakfast and took the tram to Kelesti Train Station. We boarded the train, and spent 2.5 hours in transit. We arrived in Pecs about 1 PM, found our hotel, etc. On that transit day, it was pretty much nothing but transit, plus 3 hours at the destination looking around.

I've probably given you enough thoughts. Enjoy your trip. Germany will be there in the future, as will Czechia and Hungary.

Posted by
2332 posts

I am on the DB navigator site now and 1 ticket to Prague from the Munich airport is showing as 74,40 euro.

Correct. But those trains are not run by DB but by a joint venture of Czech Rail and the Bavarian based Laenderbahn. The DB can quote only the standard international fare. Please look up prices at the E-shop of Czech Rail (and concentrate on direct trains, not the expensive train / bus combo via Nürnberg).

(BTW, even the DB app should offer you the "Prag Spezial" ticket mentioned in my previous post).

Posted by
24 posts

I have a 4 hour tour booked in Budapest that covers alot of ground. Outside of this tour the only other place that we would like to take in is the castle. It is the same for Prague. We have a tour booked that covers alot of the top sites and then we will do the castle there on our own.
My "not feeling rushed" is not trying to do everything and being satisfied with that.
If I intended to make multiple future trips then I could see myself making plans the way that you have but I don't have the expectation of that. In fact, if we do travel somewhere else I want it to be to Ireland.

Posted by
2214 posts

Tip: especially for inner-German and to / from Germany connections use Omio (former name GoEuro). This Berlin start-up will deliver you directly the best connection options, e.g. Munich - Prague.

Posted by
2332 posts

This Berlin start-up will deliver you directly the best connection options, e.g. Munich - Prague.

Not true. It shows the "Prag Spezial" ticket of the Laenderbahn for €39 (and has wrong fare information: that ticket is neither exchageable nor refundable), while the cheapest fare offered by CD for August 7 is 346 czk = €13.56.

Posted by
24 posts

Our flight is supposed to land at 8:40 am Wednesday morning.
The next train time out for any line is in the 10am to 11am timeframe.
I researched and found that it would take approximately 45 minutes to get from the airport to the train station.
Is it possible to get off the plane, get through customs and to the train station in time for an approximate 10am ticket out?
That puts us not getting to Prague until 4:15 pm with no transfers. Driving would get us there earlier than that if we didn't make any stops along the way.

Posted by
2332 posts

Nobody's trying to talk you into taking that train. But you should start from complete and realistic premises. In addition to the things already mentioned such as fares, this also includes realistic time planning. If you have checked luggage, you need about 45 minutes from deplanning to the bus/train station. For picking up the rental car you need another 45 minutes. It is not said that everything will go smoothly afterwards, because there can always be a traffic jam on the motorway. You also have to stop at the border to buy the Czech motorway sticker. All in all, the difference in travel time won't be that big.

I researched and found that it would take approximately 45 minutes to get from the airport to the train station.

You'd not go to the main station in Munich but take the 10:41 bus to Freising (arr. 10:59) and then the ALX train to Prague dep. 11:08

Posted by
24 posts

7.8. München Hbf
Praha hl.n.
dep. 10:43
arr. 16:19
Ex 357 Západní expres

This is a ticket I see on the site you provided. It is the cheapest direct ticket at 364 czk for 1.
If I choose this then I will still need to get a bus from the airport to the train station correct?

Posted by
195 posts

I like driving in Europe too, but I just wanted to let you know that traffic is quite heavy and to be prepared for lots of construction on the autobahn, so just be prepared for delays. Last year my daughter and I were driving to Potsdam and got stuck for over an hour behind a big traffic accident.

Have a fun trip!

Posted by
19092 posts

I researched and found that it would take approximately 45 minutes to
get from the airport to the train station.

No need to go into the Hbf. There are buses leaving every 20 minutes from outside Terminal 2 at MUC. (Oh, I see SLA already mentioned it.) They take about 20 minutes to get to the train station in Freising, where the trains from Munich to Prague stop on the way. With a Bayern-Böhmen-Ticket, €35,60 for two people, you can take the bus to Freising and any train to Pilsen. At Pilsen, it's about €12,50 more for Czech tickets to Prague, or a total of less than €50 for both of you. Getting the tickets from Czech Rail would cost even less.

You say you have the car for $200 (~€180) for six days, but you are only using it for 3 days, so that is €60 per day of travel. Will you car come with vignettes for Czechia, Austria, and Hungary? (Are you even permitted to drive the car to those countries?) IF the car does not come with those vignettes, ViaMichelin estimates the cost of those to be about €66 for the three days of travel. ViaMichelin also estimates the cost of fuel for Freising to Prague to be €40. Even without having to purchase highway vignettes, you cost of the car and fuel to Prague is going to be about €100, more than twice the cost of taking the train.

I'm estimating using driving times from ViadMichelin and train times from the Bahn, that you might save 2½ hours in those 3 days by driving. But take into consideration the time it takes to pick up the car at the airport, stops for food and potty, and the time saved with a car is probably somewhat less that 2½ hours. And you plan to take the car back the morning of the 12th. It's a 45 minute drive to the airport and 40 min back by S-Bahn, so there is an hour and a half lost from the less than 2½ hours saved.

Posted by
2332 posts

If I choose this then I will still need to get a bus from the airport to the train station correct?

Yes, it's €2,90 pp from the Airport to Freising train station.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Becreel- Well, it looks like you have an interesting trip planned for someone under 40 who drinks a lot of coffee and doesn't need much rest. Here are several comments.
When you pick up the rental car, be sure it has a GPS that is setup for English. Be sure the car rental company allows you to drive in the the countries you are planning to visit. If you are going to drive in Budapest and Prague (I shudder at the thought, especially in Prague) ) then there is no reason you can't return the car in Munich proper (Hbf is one place) instead of the airport and save the time (2-3 hours) and expense of a return trip from the Munich airport to Munich proper via Sbahn. You will be paying the full rental cost because you are renting at the airport so you can return the car with no additional cost anyplace that has an office for your rental in Munich proper.
On the 14th, you might want a contingency plan in case the weather is bad at the top of the Zugspitze. There isn't much to see if it is socked in at the top.
If you stop and think about driving vs training, remember the driver must concentrate on the road and will miss most of the scenery. And you can take naps on the train ... I believe you will need them!!
Finally, in response to your question ... Now, having shared all of that, I want to know if it is possible to take a train that will stop at Regensburg, then Nuremberg and end in Rothensberg?
I would skip Regensburg if your heart is set on visiting Rothenburg. I don't see how you can get much out of Nuremberg and Rothenburg (a minimum of 4 hours in each including some time to potty and eat) if you don't skip Regensburg.

Have a safe trip and please file a trip report !!!!

Posted by
2332 posts

IF the car does not come with those vignettes, ViaMichelin estimates the cost of those to be about €66 for the three days of travel.

The car has certainly none of them. With regard to autobahn fees, that's not guesswork (prices for the shortest period available):

Czechia: 310 czk approx €12.00
Austria: €9.20
Hungary: 3500 HUF approx €10.75

All in all approx €32.00

Posted by
8942 posts

It is school vacation time in Bavaria, so yeah, be prepared to sit in some traffic jams.
Seriously though, you are trying to visit 9 cities in 9 days, plus a castle and a mountain. How much of each of these places will you see?

No one can tell you which places to cut as we don't know what your interests are.

Just Prague, Budapest and Munich are more than enough for 9 days. This is 2 days in each city, plus travel days.

Posted by
136 posts

Germany and its neighboring countries are not like Alabama as far as traffic is concerned. Germany is the second densest populated country in Europe after the Netherlands (not counting mini states). Usually driving takes you much longer than you think.
Have you ever experienced jet lag after a transatlantic flight from west to east? On the way from Munich to Prague you will likely regret having rented a car.
"We will travel from Budapest to Munich on a Sunday which I felt was just a wash since most things are closed on Sunday to see."
Where do you have this from? As for tourism Sunday is the busiest day of the week because locals go for outings, too. Restaurants are overcrowded and touristic hotspots as well. Only stores are closed, at least in Germany.

Posted by
24 posts

All of you have given great feedback and I appreciate your passion in ensuring that we have a realistic and fun trip.

I have decided to cancel the car and go back to the drawing board with the trains. Although it is very confusing to me with the different sites I have been given to research.

1. The big ticket item for me is trying to figure out which ticket will get me from the airport to the train station in one full swoop and can I make it from the airport for the first available train out that I see which is 10:43 am from Hbf. I take it that means that I will have to take a train or bus from the airport to the train station which again I read takes up to 45 minutes to get there. ******My plane lands at 8:40 am if no delays.
  2. Do I purchase the ticket now or do I simply reserve the ticket in case we get hung up at the airport or our flight is delayed?

3. The other issue I see is when I research trains from Prague to Budapest it shows a caution message about something being closed. I am not sure what that means. Surely they would not sell a ticket if there is no way to complete the trip?

As far as the itinerary, I talked with my daughter and we are of the same mind. We may not ever make it back to Germany. As crazy as it apparently sounds, we would rather see a little then see nothing at all.

Posted by
2332 posts

The big ticket item for me is trying to figure out which ticket will get me from the airport to the train station in one full swoop and can I make it from the airport for the first available train out that I see which is 10:43 am from Hbf. I take it that means that I will have to take a train or bus from the airport to the train station which again I read takes up to 45 minutes to get there. ******My plane lands at 8:40 am if no delays.

Please!!! - do NOT go to the main train station; that would be a big detour. As said several times above: take the bus to nearby Freising, where the ALX train from Munich to Prague will call at 11:08. The latest bus to catch that train leaves at 10:41 from the airport (the bus # is 635, it runs every 20 min).

For the ticket you have three options:

(1) Buying a train specific ticket at the E-Shop of Czech Rail from Freising to Prague - approx €14.50 pp; do NOT book that ticket from the airport, the price will be almost five (!) times more. Buy a ticket for the bus to Freising in addition (€2.90pp).

If you feel pre booking is too risky since your flight could be delayed then either

(2) Go by bus to Freising (€2.90 pp) and buy a "Prag Spezial" ticket aboard the train (or from a vending machine at the Freising station; €39pp).

or

(3) Buy a "Bayern-Boehmen" ticket as suggested by Lee above at the airport (€35.60 for both of you). That ticket would be valid on the bus to Freising and would cover you until Plzen. In addition book a single flexible ticket from Plzen to Prague at the E-Shop of CD (approx €10 for both of you). You could get it from the Czech conductor as well after Furth im Wald (the border station), but then you'd need Czech money (not sure if they will accept CC on the train category EX).

NB. Buying simply from the DB ticket window at the airport would be €71 pp!

Posted by
24 posts

OK. I am on the airport website and I see a map of transit and I do see the bus to Freising. I think that is what I was doing wrong. I kept putting in Munich to Prague and couldn't see what you were talking about.
So I will need to purchase a bus ticket for 2 which is bus 635 to Freising. I need to search for a train ticket from Freising to Prague.

Do you know anything about the caution for the trip from Prague to Budapest?

Posted by
24 posts

I have re-read your response like 4 times now and keep seeing key information. You make it sound as though purchasing ahead of time may not be necessary.
Under that assumption that there would be available seats on the train from Freising to Prague then option # 2 seems to be the best option with less hassle.

Yes?

Posted by
24 posts

I downloaded the Czech Rail app. It gives everything in czh not euro but that is fine.
When I choose the Freising to Prague ticket it only gives 2 options- ticket with reservation or reservation only. The app does not allow me to search for a Prag Spezial ticket.

Avoiding the DB seems to be the other main point. The pricing seems to be the same whether I book/reserve now or wait.

Posted by
2332 posts

Yes?

Yes but it's also the most expensive of the three. I'd either choose the cheapest option, i.e. #1 - that's a bit of gambling since your ticket would be invalid if your flight is delayed more than, say, 90 min or option #3 which requires just one additional step (i.e. booking the Plzen - Prague ticket online) but saves approx €40.

Posted by
24 posts

Car cancelled.

Now to decide whether to purchase our train tickets now and keep our fingers crossed that our flight will land on time or wait and hope the train is not sold out.
The train we want will not arrive until 16:19. I would hate to get pushed to the next train which would put us not getting there until late night.
With our tight itinerary, we wouldn't get to see anything on the 7th.

Posted by
8942 posts

That is why it would be better to stay in Munich your first night, then head to Prague early the next morning. You will be fresher, & you can take advantage of the cheap train ticket without stressing about your flight being delayed.

Posted by
2332 posts

No reason to worry about seats on the train. The ALX is technically a regional train that cannot sell out. If you decide on ticket option #1 you should book asap, options #2 and #3 can be bought on the spot (with the exception of the extension from Plzen to Prague for option #3, which I'd book at the CD App).

Posted by
6888 posts

Just checked Prague to Budapest tickets : the warning is just a generic warnings about fifteen minute delays due to engineering work on the tracks. Nothing to worry about.

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you both. If I don't have to worry about the train selling out then I will probably wait and do option 3 and book the other ticket on the CD site as suggested.
It would be my luck that we would be delayed and then I would out extra money it appears.

Posted by
2332 posts

That Bayern-Boehmen ticket is valid on any ALX train. So if your flight should be late you can simply take the next one.

Posted by
24 posts

Just when I thought I had it all figured out.
To purchase the ticket from Plzen to Prague I have to know a departure time.

How do I figure out what time the train will get to Plzen if we make the 11:08 departure train from Freising?

Posted by
2332 posts

That's EX 357, dep. Plzen 15:00. Look up it on the website of CD, click on details and you will see the complete itinerary of that train: it starts in Munich as ALX 357, departs Freising at 11:08 (with both of you aboard ;)), changes it's name on the Czech border to EX 357, arrives Plzen at 14:49 and goes on to Prague at 15:00.

BTW, your ticket from Plzen to Prague is flexible and valid on any other train of the same category (EX)

Posted by
24 posts

I see it. So I will buy the Bayern Bohemen ticket at the airport. That ticket will cover the bus ride from the airport to Freising and the train ride from Freising to Prague with the additional ticket from Plzen the rest of the way to Prague.

I need to purchase the Plzen ticket now and print out.

OK. That's it! You guys are off the hook! I am not sure that I have completely graduated but I think you have all done the best you could. ;)

Posted by
2332 posts

A final remark: the train has two parts - besides the cars to Prague it also carries some to Hof, which are split off in Schwandorf at 12:42. The cars to Prague are usually at the top of the train - consisting of two or three blue-white CD ("České dráhy") cars, and two grey-white ALEX cars +). So wait on the eastern side of the platform. But don't panic - if you end up accidentally in the wrong segment of the train, you can always walk through the train into the right one. Have a good trip!

+) The "man in seat 61" has pictures of them:
https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-routes/munich-to-prague-by-train.htm

Posted by
24 posts

Oh my goodness. Thank you for sharing that link. I am very much a visual person so this helped tremendously.
Thanks again for all your help.

Posted by
10 posts

I vote for the car. Our first trip to Europe 4 years ago was to Germany/Austria/Switzerland and we had no problems driving. I wouldn't recommend driving in the medieval city centers but you can usually park just outside those areas easily. Just finished a 6 week Germany/France/BeNeLux trip in May 2019 and most of that was by car. Not only is a car better for countryside driving I like the scenery coming at me instead of zipping by on a train window.

Posted by
24 posts

I hope someone is awake. My daughter and I are currently in Budapest and so far I have been unable to secure train tickets out of here for Sunday. I have looked at the CD rail that I used as recommended from Munich to Prague and the DB navigator. The CD app shows trains but doesn't let me actually get to a purchase window. The DB navigator has reservation only. No option to purchase a ticket.
Can someone please help?