Please sign in to post.

First Christmas Markets are changed / canceled and Cologne Canival Feb 2021 is in discussion

Just as info for all people who hoped for a year's end trip or one in February for some celebration:
The first smaller Christmas Markets are canceled already and I guess that nearly all huge ones will follow.

Example article from Frankfurt area (German):
https://www.fnp.de/frankfurt/weihnachtsmaerkte-frankfurt-stehen-kippe-13862443.html

In Berlin the old town Spandau one tries to define a different location (old Zitadelle Spandau to have a controllable area) to keep number of people limited but is this then still a typical German Christmas Market feeling? The answer is very individual I think.

Btw: German Health Minister Jens Spahn already votes for the cancellation of Carnival February 2021 in Rhine area.

Let us see the outcome.

Posted by
1370 posts

That's a shame. Last year we visited the one in Freiburg im Breisgau and I had my eye on a sausage but the line was so long I never did get it. I'm still thinking about how great it would have tasted!

Posted by
2212 posts

I hope you will find a next chance for a good Bratwurst on a German Christmas market.

Next Christmas will become a challenge in Germany - especially because compared to the US Germans do not celebrate Thanksgiving. So, it will be the next family festivity from now on.

Posted by
2212 posts

Update: City of Cologne decided to cancel all larger Christmas Markets for this year.

Source (German).

Posted by
8437 posts

Any good alternatives in the US? I know Chicago has a good Christmas market, but I assume there are others.

Posted by
27096 posts

In normal years there's a high-end craft market at the Washington DC Convention Center. I believe it's in November. I don't remember seeing Christmas-specific merchandise, though it's a great place to look for nice hand-made gifts (but not generally cheap ones).

Posted by
4601 posts

Any good alternatives in the US?

Cambria (on the coast in California, about midway between San Francisco and LA) has a wonderful Christmas market. The "market" itself is small and includes a small biergarten. A huge attraction is the display of thousands of lights, along with carolers, train ride and visits from Santa.

ETA: from their site, "Cambria Christmas Market still plans to return this winter! Our event team is working hard to come up with creative solutions to adapt our event in response to COVID-19. "

Posted by
2212 posts

Info: Updated nationwide #coronavirus measures after Merkel's video meeting with state premiers today:

• ban on large events until end of 2020
  • min €50 fine for mask shirkers (except Saxony-Anhalt)
  • no more free #COVID19 tests for people arriving from 'non-risk areas' in Europe

Source / text.

Posted by
2212 posts

Update: Berlin authorities decided to allow Christmas markets with some strict rules

"The Christmas markets in Berlin will probably not fall victim to the Corona pandemic: The health authorities have given the green light - provided that all protective and hygienic measures are observed."

Source.

Posted by
2073 posts

In regards to the Cambria Christmas Market mentioned above. It’s not open to the public this year unless you are staying at one of three hotels.
This is from an email I got last week.

Book your stay to enjoy the Lights at Cambria Pines

We are sad to announce that the Cambria Christmas Market will will be postponed until 2021 due to concerns around COVID-19. In an effort to continue to bring holiday cheer to our guests, we will be hosting a very limited and intimate experience called the Lights at Cambria Pines this year. The Lights at Cambria Pines will only be accessible for guests of Cambria Pines Lodge, J. Patrick House and Sea Otter Inn, who are booked on the Christmas rate, November 27 - January 2 (closed December 24 and 25). Guests must book direct by clicking on one of our lodging options below.

We are excited to still offer our two million twinkling lights, but on a new, one-way path to ensure social distancing. Guests of the Lights at Cambria Pines will still enjoy cozy fire pits, and festive beverage options will be available from Cambria Pines Lodge. The train ride, food booths, vendor booths and other activities will not be available this year for guest safety.

Lodging Options for the Lights at Cambria Pines​

www.moonstonehotels.com
information@moonstonehotels.com

Moonstone Hotel Properties. 2905 Burton Drive Cambria, California 93428