Please sign in to post.

Favorite small towns near Stuttgart for December 2023

I am planning a long-awaited Christmas market-focused trip for a week in late December. Due to some family limitations (husband with mid-stage Alzheimer’s, traveling with two small dogs), we will stay in one place for the week and not move to different regions. I somewhat randomly picked Stuttgart as our base to have access to good transportation links. We are arriving by train from central Italy, with an overnight stop in Switzerland both ways. We will not rent a car.

I want to visit Stuttgart and Esslingen markets, and then find 3-4 more small towns within an hour commute by train. We may go to Tübingen, but all other choices should be smaller towns. The usual criteria: cute historic centres, train station or bus/S-bahn, maybe a castle or small museum to break up the Glühwein-and-tchotchke march. Concerts would be a bonus.

I have very little experience with the Baden-Württemberg region. If you could please mention your favorite smaller towns near Stuttgart, I will cross-check them against the list of 375(!) Christmas markets in the region and make a short list to pick from once we’re there and see the lay of the land.

I speak German and have lived in other regions of Germany (very very long ago), so I’ll be able to manage the logistics and my traveling circus. I just need some help with identifying a few gems from the too-many choices. Thank you!

Edit: I have already booked an apartment in Altbach for the week. We need a calm home base with space for the dogs, and it fit the bill, and is walking distance to a train/S-bahn station.

Posted by
1552 posts

I don't know about the markets but Schwäbisch Hall is a lovely town and is likely to be lit up nicely for Christmas. Ludwigsburg on its own is worth a visit (palaces, decent enough downtown area).

Posted by
6901 posts

Tübingen is lovely, on top of all the other recommendations you already have. Really worth a quick visit.

Posted by
1034 posts

Thanks for the input, now to narrow down the choices some more…

The link I posted for Christmas markets is quite helpful as a comprehensive reference for dates/times/descriptions of all markets in Germany but isn’t helpful for narrowing choices to a short list. A few of your favourites and the ‘close to Stuttgart” list is helpful, I appreciate it.