Please sign in to post.

Europe in March

Greetings. My husband and I won a round trip to Munich and the surrounding area for 1 week March 4-11th. We booked our return flight for one week later so that we can have one more week in Europe. We need advise where to go. We don't expect the weather in March to be that great anywhere. We have family in Brehmen, Germany, but we don't need a whole week there (and they are willing to come see us in Munich). I am 5 months pregnant. We love to explore but also need a comfortable place to rest each day. I don't think we'll have a car, but need to rely on public transportation. Ideas?
We are intreged by Prague, Greece, Rome or Florence, Colmar, Paris, Lisbon, Romania, or just exporing more of Germany?

Thank you for your help. The trip is coming SOOO fast!!!

Posted by
8421 posts

So basically, you've committed to roundtrip (return) tickets to Munich. I'd consider Vienna, Salzburg or other parts of Austria. Places you can easily reach by train and easily return to Munich.

Posted by
8889 posts

My husband and I won a round trip to Munich and the surrounding area for 1 week March 4-11th. We booked our return flight for one week later so that we can have one more week in Europe.

Does that mean you actually have 2 weeks, or just one? I guess 5 months pregnant you don't want anything too strenuous.
Salzburg and Vienna are both good ideas, easy by train. Salzburg is a day trip, Vienna you would want 2-3 nights there at least.
March is not good for the mountains, so skip the Alps.
Prague is an option for 2-3 nights. From Munich there are buses and trains. Trains will be easier if you are pregnant.
Lots of other cities to visit on Bavaria and the rest of Germany. Nuremberg is worth a day trip. Even Berlin is only 4½ hours away by hourly High Speed train, you would need to reserve 3-4 nights to do that justice.

Posted by
1479 posts

There are many great places to see near Munich in addition to those already mentioned.

Regensburg - A UNESCO World Heritage City with a Roman Ruins, a gothic cathedral from the 1100's and a wonderful pedestrian zone. One of our favorite cities.

Augsburg - The Fugerei (to house the town poor) built in 1519, the gold rooms in the town hall & beautiful churches.

Landshut - Some of the most attractive pastel facades in Germany, a castle on the hill and a beautiful river front.

Nördlingen - A walled city with lots of atmosphere.

All these places have small old town centers easy for walking.

Posted by
677 posts

A couple of thoughts come to mind, knowing that you must return from Munich. I think you need to stay relatively close, and as suggested above eliminate Greece, Portugal and Rome. Salzburg and surrounding area is close and Salzburg is an easy train ride away from Munich. Prague is a bus ride from Munich. Lots of beautiful places in Germany. Maybe spend a few days in Munich and then choose one or two other places and explore those areas in your two weeks time frame. If you want to head to Northern Italy, that is also an easy train ride from Munich with stops in places like Gramisch Partenkirchen, or Mittenwald, or Innsbruck down through the Dolomites (maybe Vipiteno or Bolzano) to Trento to Verona area. Possibly Venice. I would not go as far south as Rome.

Posted by
32702 posts

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

What do you get with the trip you won? Is it all in Munich or do you go other places? What about Neuschwanstein? Speaking of there, if you are 5 months pregnant now will you be 6 during the trip? What does the doc say about mountains, steep climbs, snow and ice underfoot?

Do you mean Bremen on the north coast of Germany?

The weather is improving here in England and the days are getting longer. The wind died down today for a change. I was just watching the Security Conference in Munich and saw all the snow they got today...

Posted by
14499 posts

I suggest staying in Germany and exploring other cities off the North American tourist radar....Berlin, Leipzig, Hamburg, Schwerin Bremen, Lübeck, Münster, Minden, Frankfurt...lots of choices.

Posted by
32702 posts

Ms Jo, Portugal was to have been April. Maybe early March is better for the baby and mom. After all the emphasis on the Portugal trip was for resting...

Posted by
5256 posts

Intriguing. I'm waiting for the OP's reply!

Posted by
10 posts

Thank you to so many who have sent ideas so quickly. We are really looking forward to this trip and will consider all your suggestions.
To clarify, we have 2 blogs going here. This trip for myself and another for my mom and dad who are traveling to Portugal in May.