Please sign in to post.

Easter in Munich

Has anyone attended an Easter service at any church in Munich? I have been looking into some of the older churches such as St. Peters and St. Lukas, but their websites are in German? Is this a good indication that the service will be in German? Also, I read that shops and some attractions close on Easter Monday as well as Sunday, any suggestions for places to visit? I seen the English Garden suggested a lot. What about a day trip to Fussen/Neuschwanstein castle? Thank you!

Posted by
19099 posts

Do you really expect the service at a church in Germay to be in English? Or are you hoping for Latin?

A lot of museum in Europe are already closed on Mondays, so I'm not sure Easter Monday will be much different than any other Monday.

According to the website for Neuschwanstein, it closed on December 24, 25, and 31, and on January 1. Doesn't say anything about being closed at other times.

Posted by
635 posts

No Easter services, but I did attend a late-evening (10 PM) Thursday service at St. Lukaskirche (candlelight only, and the music was beautiful -- but hardly a social event), and a Sunday evening (6 PM) worship at St. Mattäuskirche. The service was in German, of course, but we were introduced to a lovely couple there who speak English -- she had lived in Oregon for a number of years some time ago. They invited us to their home for dinner that evening and now we have friends for life. Wonderful!

Posted by
980 posts

If you are interested in attending Easter services in Munich but are not comfortable navigating a German language website you might try contacting the Munich English language Catholic Church.

http://www.stjohnberchmans.de

I'm certain they would be more than happy to help you fill you religious needs.

DJ

Posted by
111 posts

Yes! Several years ago, we attended Easter services at the Frauenkirche in Munich. We attended a 6 pm service. It lasted about 45 minutes and was almost all music. We tourists had to stand in the back, which was fine. They passed out programs with the text for the service and the songs, and we got to sing along in German. This was one of the highlights of my trip!

Here is the Frauenkirche's calendar. Just look for "Sonntag, 16. April" (Sunday, 16 April) and then use Google Translate.

http://www.muenchner-dom.de/kalender/?tx_cal_controller%5Bgetdate%5D=20170327&tx_cal_controller%5Boffset%5D=4&cHash=af119c401bc3b1e7c69209ed61a433da