Please sign in to post.

Ear plugs

Hello all!
Can anyone recommend a good set of earplugs to block out unwanted noise while traveling? My husband snores which I worry will keep me from getting a good nights sleep especially if the double bed we booked are on the small side.
Thanks
Jackie Toombs

Posted by
1814 posts

I would look for the noise reduction rating on the package.. I find that most are in the 29 to 31 Db range with higher being better. There used to be hard foam ones but I only see soft foam ones now. The soft plugs are more comfortable but I found the hard variety worked better for me. Make sure you understand how to put them in.

http://m.wikihow.com/Put-in-Ear-Plugs

I would suggest you try different brands at home prior to your trip if you are really worried about this.

Posted by
330 posts

I agree with Rocket.
I use the soft ones and found some with a noise reduction of 32 decibels. They are yellow and red and I bought them at my local store.
I did have to try several types to find out what worked for me.
Good luck.

Posted by
14036 posts

I think the ones you get at the hardware or building supply store work better than the ones sold for travel. They may have a decibel rating on them as Rocket mentioned. The ones I like are in a small black and yellow cardboard container.

Some people like the wax impregnated ones. I have not used them but have seen them in the local pharmacy in the eye/ear section.

Definitely work on proper placement before you need them.

You also might consider downloading a white noise app. I wound up sharing a hotel room with a family member over Christmas who really snored (even shaking her and getting her to roll over didnt help) so I wound up doing a search in the middle of the night and downloading it. It does not block out the sound totally but it masks it enough I could get to sleep.

Posted by
2607 posts

I use a brand called Hearos, they make several varieties and you can get them from Amazon.

Posted by
15184 posts

I hated earplugs and could never find a pair I felt comfortable wearing.

Then I found Moldex Comets and everything changed. They cut out noise and are very comfortable. They cost a bit more but worth it. They can be washed and used over and over again.

Posted by
4684 posts

If you really want effective reusable earplugs and are willing to spend a lot, you can get personally made ones done by casting your ear. They're primarily intended for shooters, so I would ask at your local gun shops to see if anyone does it in your area - I got mine done in London by Boss & Co.

Posted by
327 posts

Check with a hearing center. I've been using customized earplugs for 5 years - they cost $95 back then and work really well for blocking out noise in hotels and on flights. However, they do not totally block out the sound of a snoring husband, but enough that I can get to sleep. A friend who uses the same type of personalized earplugs recommended them and I've never regretted "investing" in mine, even though they were expensive.

Posted by
1097 posts
  • 1 for the whitenoise app. My husband used to wear a c-pap and I got used to the sound. When he lost a bunch of weight, didn't need c-pap anymore but I couldn't sleep without the white noise. We bought one from Amazon that has a bunch of different sounds and just plugs into the wall, but when we travel, we use an app on his iPad. It helps in strange places with those things that go bump in the night and the typical city noise that I am not used to.
    I don't like wearing earplugs. They are not comfortable to me, and I'm afraid of not hearing something that I SHOULD be hearing like my alarm clock or a fire alarm.
Posted by
5 posts

The bright green Flent contour ear plugs, soft comfort. I use them to sleep in hotels and to do yard work. They conform to your ear better than the non-contour kind, they wash up easily, and they last forever. Bring at least two pair, in case you lose one.