Please sign in to post.

eagles nest from salzburg

I've been to the eagles nest twice some years ago. I need a refresher. I know a bus ticket from salzburg (bus 840) costs 10E. How much is the bus ticket (bus 838) from bertchesgaden to documentation center??

Posted by
211 posts

Hold the phone. I was reading and its seems that if using the Bayern ticket you could train Munchen to Salzburg to Berchesgaden and back to salzburg and onto Munchen???

Posted by
2331 posts

Of course you can. The down side is that you cannot depart from Munich before 9am on workdays (no time restrictions on weekends). There is a Meridian train (the company that runs the local trains between Munich and Salzburg) departing 8:56. Thats four minutes too early, but the train stops at Munich East at 9:03, so a Bayern ticket is valid from there. Buy a single ride ticket for the leg Hauptbahnhof to Ostbahnhof or board the train at Ostbahnhof.

Posted by
32735 posts

I don't know that the BLB Berchtesgadener Land Bahn is included in a Bayern Ticket. You take that and change at Freilassing.

I also don't think that Oebb S-Bahn from Freilassing to Salzburg is covered.

Therefore, as far as I know, the Berchtesgaden portion answer would be NO.

Posted by
19092 posts

I don't know that the BLB Berchtesgadener Land Bahn is included in a Bayern Ticket.

Yes, it is. So you can take the Meridian train from Munich to Freilassing, then the BLB train from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden. I've done it with a Bayern-Ticket. Actually, the train at that time from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden was a continuation of an IC from somewhere north in northern Germany to Berchtesgaden. It was called something like the Alpine Express, but from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden it was designated as a regional train. I'd been on regional trains from Freilassing to Berchtesgaden before, and they always felt like they were hurrying, but this IC seemed like it was just floating along.

What I don't know is if a Bayern-Ticket can be used for the RVO bus (Watzmann Express) through Austria from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden. This is a stretch outside Germany, and, according to the Bahn, the Austrian pertion is not valid for the Bayern-Ticket, but some people say they have done this stretch, and the BT was accepted by the bus driver.

Posted by
19092 posts

If you are using a Bayern-Ticket, or an RVO Tagesticket (10,40€), or a BGL Tagesticket Bus & Bahn to get to Berchtesgaden, most of the buses in Berchtesgaden (e,g., RVO 838 to the Bus Abfahrt) are included. The RVO Tagesticket includes roundtrip bus between Salzburg and Berchtesgaden.

Posted by
2331 posts

I don't know that the BLB Berchtesgadener Land Bahn is included in a Bayern Ticket. You take that and change at Freilassing.

I also don't think that Oebb S-Bahn from Freilassing to Salzburg is covered.

Therefore, as far as I know, the Berchtesgaden portion answer would be NO.

Every railway company that operates local trains in Bavaria has to accept the Bayernticket. Otherwise it would not get a license by the BEG. So, both on the BLG and the ÖBB S-Bahn accept it (and so will Transdev / BOB, which will replace the BLG in two years).

Posted by
32735 posts

Thanks for the detailed information and clarification.

All OK then

Posted by
2331 posts

It was called something like the Alpine Express

@Lee
That's IC 2083 "Königssee" (Hamburg - Berchtesgaden, will be suspended from 04/10 but resume operation in fall 2019). It's mockingly called "Kukident Express" among German railroaders because it is mainly used by retirees from northern Germany ("Kukident" is a trademark of a dentures cleaner). ;)

Posted by
211 posts

thanks to all who replied. Got a little lost in the acronyms. The jist is the Bayern Ticket works from Munich to Salzburg. The 8:40 bus requires E10 each to the Berchesgaden , 838 to the documentation center and back, and return to salzburg .Then use the bayern back to Munich. Do children (11) pay for bus 840 and 838? thanks again

Posted by
2331 posts

The 840 bus requires E10 each to the Berchesgaden

I'd first try it with the Bayern Ticket. Last year, a RVO representative assured me that the BT would be accepted for the trip from Berchtesgaden to Salzburg. But that may have changed by december, 10. Anyway, just try. And if they decline you should only need a ticket to the border (Marktschellenberg, ca. €5 pp).

Posted by
19092 posts

The BT definitely is accepted for the trains from Salzburg to Berchtesgaden via Freilassing. Unless you are planning on spending time in Salzburg (i.e., just going from Munich to Berchtesgaden and return), get off the train in Freilassing (all regional trains stop in Freilassing before going over the border to Salzburg) and take a BLB train to Berchtesgaden. All of the day tickets I mentioned (Bayern-Ticket, RVO Tagesticket, and BGL Tagesticket Bus & Bahn) are valid for most bus routes in Berchtesgaden, including #838 from the Hbf to the Kehlsteinhaus Busabfahrt/Dokumentation. Bus 849, the special bus up to Kehlsteinhaus (Eagles Nest) is not included in any of those day tickets. The cost of the RT bus ride up to the parking place just below the Nest and use of the elevator to the top is 16,10€.

When I went to Berchtesgaden in 2012, I took the bus from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden Hbf without a Bayern-Ticket (I was coming from Austria, where the BT is not valid). The one way fare from Salzburg Hbf to Berchtesgaden was 4,90€; at the time, as I remember, it was exactly half the then cost of an RVO Tagesticket, which today is 10,40.