Please sign in to post.

DW video: Coming to Germany and want to avoid a fine of up to 25,000 Euros?

Here's what you need to know whether you are a tourist, resident, or a citizen:
https://twitter.com/dwnews/status/1291601893077200896

RKI: Information on the designation of international risk areas (status Aug 5 2020):
https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Transport/Archiv_Risikogebiete/Risikogebiete_05082020_18Uhr_en.pdf

Web page from RKI with access to newest version of international risk areas:
https://www.rki.de/DE/Content/InfAZ/N/Neuartiges_Coronavirus/Risikogebiete_neu.html

Posted by
32198 posts

MarkK,

Wow, that's a long list of high-risk countries, and a fine of €25,000 will certainly discourage anyone from breaking the rules. I imagine the maximum fine would only be charged in extreme cases.

I wasn't aware that the number of new cases in Germany had increased so much, and I hope the authorities can start bringing those numbers down soon.

Posted by
6628 posts

"Arrivals from abroad could make the problem worse."

Of course. But I'm sure the astute German officials know it isn't just about having more people on hand. There's a big difference between German citizens coming home and foreign visitors, who often plan to tour around from place to place and might innocently spread the virus.

I'm also betting that they are focused not only on infection rates in different countries but on country-by-country characteristics. If the German authorities are cued in at all on the American media, they've learned that at home, Americans (and maybe other foreigners) have shown a significant pattern of disregard for their own country's covid-rules. Why admit them to Germany, if they are unlikely to follow Germany's guidelines?

OTOH it's not clear to me what the purpose of the ban on "high-risk" foreigners might be. It's not like the whole country would be knocking on Germany's door. Isn't the test, administered free of charge at the airport, supposed to send infected foreigners packing? Is the test they use unreliable?

As this virus period drones on, restlessness among Germans is budding, and like US authorities, the Germans don't seem to be breaking up the mask-averse crowds there. I think sometime soon they will be dealing with the same sort of resistance that is now pretty common in the USA:

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-protests-coronavirus/a-54456654

Posted by
3044 posts

This is a bit incendiary. The €25,000 is a fine given if you do refuse the test. It's a clear incentive to not refuse.

Posted by
3517 posts

And why would anyone who needs to be in Germany refuse the test in the first place? Only ones I could think of would be those who already know they have or had the virus and would test positive. And I do know that tests are not 100% accurate. Some people might test positive that are not. Wouldn't they give you an opportunity to retest if you show positive?

Posted by
32198 posts

Mark,

I assume that travellers from low risk countries or from other E.U. countries are able to enter Germany without a test or other restrictions? Are masks compulsory in all settings in Germany?

Posted by
2188 posts

Ken,

From today on every flight passenger entering Germany has to do such a test - nationality does not matter. So also German travelers coming home have to do it.

In principle, all travelers returning from Corona risk areas are obliged to undergo a 14-day domestic quarantine if they have been in a risk area at any time within 14 days prior to entry. Low risk countries are not an issue because Corona infections in these countries are often very local - such as in Germany. Against all rumors population density does not play a major role.

The daily life rules are state-wise but more than less very similar.

In nearly all situations physical distance, hand hygiene and face masks (if distance cannot be hold, e. g. public transport) are mandatory. Partly high fines are penalty for not following rules (see for example Berlin's penalty catalogue in German language): 50 - 500 EUR penalty for not wearing a face mask in regulated situations.

Berlin and other regions are fighting against the wish of some people just to live on as before. Because clubs are closed the remained open bars are so overfilled that they are not able to follow rules sometimes. I was asking the district mayors for strict handling. Every bar which shows more than three offences against regulations shall be closed immediately and stay closed for 2 days (my suggestion).

Posted by
32198 posts

Mark,

Thanks for the additional info. I was just curious on what tourists from low risk countries would face upon arrival in Germany. If I'm reading correctly, a 14 day quarantine is not required but testing is mandatory for everyone. I wonder if one would have to stay at the airport until the test results are known? Also, is testing required for tourists transiting through Germany (ie: FRA) to another country?

Posted by
2188 posts

The last question I am not able to answer. Best is to contact the airport of transit / connection for this (FRA, MUC, ...). Maybe also a question if baggage can be checked through or not?

Posted by
1549 posts

I wrote to the local consulate in Toronto just the other week. The link they provided was basically the same information discussed above. The link below is for Munich Airport. I also read somewhere that Frankfurt and Dusseldorf charge a high fee for a quick turnaround of results, which may have changed recently.

https://www.munich-airport.com/corona-tests-at-the-airport-9526455#e0e1fd3d

I've no idea why someone would be offended by having to take a free test, especially when arriving from a high risk area.