Please sign in to post.

Dusseldorf

We're thinking about taking our spring break trip to Dusseldorf, a city we have never been to. I'm still doing research but it will be a family of 4, husband and I, daughter who is 7 and my father-in-law who loves to explore new places, history, art and the zoo for our daughter. Are there any things that you think are must sees? We will probably go to Cologne and have talked about doing a day trip to Brussels and/or Amsterdam.

Do you have a favorite restaurant?

Thank you!

Posted by
19092 posts

Do you have a favorite restaurant?

Favorite? Well, it's the only restaurant I have been to in the old town, but when I was there on business in the last century, our business associates took us to Hausbrauerei Zum Schlüssel, so they must have thought it was a good place. I enjoyed it.

Posted by
2233 posts

I guess you already discovered the official tourist website of Düsseldorf.

The attractions are really good listed at website of German National Touris Board. They also have a short presentation of Düsseldorf for young and budget travelers which contains some good tips for you.

Great zoos you will find in Cologne and in Dusiburg. For the daughter close to Cologne there is also fun park Phantasialand.

A remarkable mix of art and industrial history you will find at Zollverein Essen. This month the last German black coal was "produced". So a big chapter of this region's industrial and social history was just closing after 200 years. You cannot imagine what this meant and means for a lot of people there.

The Ruhrgebiet is full of very own restaurant styles. Tip: Search for food blogs. They often have interesting and up-to-date recommendation such as this one (in German language). You will also find some very good Japanese restaurants in Düsseldorf because it has the largest Japanese community in Germany. A real delicious meal which is typical for former Prussian regions (also Berlin) is Tatar, which is raw ground beef on excellent bread. Nearly all German men love that - me too.

NRW state has a real good tourist website which gives a good overview of the NRW regions around.

With all that information you shall be well equipped.

Posted by
380 posts

Great, thank you both! Mark I was actually on their official website site last night and found some great information. I'll take a look at the others.

Posted by
380 posts

Can either of you recommend a mid price hotel?

What is the area around the HBF like? Our favorite hotel in Munich is across from the HBF and we've stayed at one around the Berlin and Frankfurt HBF's (my husband and FIL like staying around them if possible). I like being at one that is close to a U/S bahn stop to make it easy with luggage.

Posted by
7299 posts

I'm surprised that you like hotels near the HBF. In much of Europe, it's the least attractive part of town. Is budget a major part of your decision-making?

I liked Dusseldorf, and it has a huge airport, with good connections. Cologne is actually a more attractive destination for a family vacation (and very walkable), but of course it's an easy daytrip. (I had to skip Wuppertal, which I want to visit, because the commuter train line was under repair.) Note that Duesseldorf is often noted for its beerhall and late-drinking culture, especially in the picturesque old town. That does NOT mean it's not a family-friendly destination, by the way. It's traditional for the hosts to seat you at an already occupied table with up to nine or ten seats. As you may know, most Germans under 55 can speak English. I was there for modern and contemporary art, which it is a center of. It is not an important Rhine riverboat destination, like the Middle Rhine is. I enjoyed the Botanical Garden but did not visit the zoo.

You might try to find the date of the monthly "Fish Market", which is actually a Saturday(??) one-day festival along the river, with sausage, beer, wine, pastry, seafood, and similar stands, right along the riverside. It's good fun, and heavily attended by families. I was disappointed by the thin crowds at the "oldest" (?) restaurant, Brauerei Zum Schiffchen,, but I had a wonderful evening at Brauerei im Füchschen. I was seated with three German chemical executives, and three hard-drinking Chinese staff who were in town for training. I paid for my pork knuckle, but could not pay for my beer and Killepisch shots!

Edit: Clearly it's not on your program, but there are a surprising number of over 100 Euro prix-fixe gourmet places in Duesseldorf! One of the obvious daytrips from Duesseldorf is Aachen (maybe easier from Cologne.) But if you can find a way to get there, even a tour bus, Monschau is special among the dozens of Fachwerke towns. Munster is a little far, but a lovely little city.

I am not trying to get you to change your mind, but you may decide to go on more than one daytrip to Cologne. It's such an attractive and rich destination. Don't overlook some of the less visible destinations, like the Jewish archaeology district (with a sometimes visitable medieval Mikveh), and the extensive underground Roman fort and tunnels. The MAK (Applied Art Museum) in Cologne is especially enjoyable for people who get tired of pictures on the wall. (There is also an underground museum in Duesseldorf, but it's contemporary art on the walls.)

Posted by
380 posts

Tim - yes budget is a major factor. Our first trip to Germany was to Munich and the hotel we stayed in was one my boss and another coworker actually stayed in and liked. We stayed there for a few days and loved the staff, the breakfast and the room was very comfortable so we've stayed every time we go back. My husband and FIL like to go over to the station and have a beer while they people watch, plus they usually have something to eat while there. Neither of them like to spend a lot of money and since my FIL usually pays for the trips I have to be very careful with the budget he gives me. Plus it just makes it easier when coming from or going to the airport to have something close to the station so we don't have to walk to far or change trains too often, was especially true when our daughter was younger.

Thanks for the other tips, I'll check them out. We are looking at Dusseldorf as being our home base as they have direct flights to/from Atlanta and actually are currently cheaper on Delta than the other German cities.

Posted by
832 posts

The NY Times featured Dusseldorf a few years ago - 36 Hours in Düsseldorf, Germany

The artsy, cultivated hometown of both the great Romantic poet Heinrich Heine and the German punk-rock legend Die Toten Hosen, Düsseldorf has more than enough attractions for a rich cultural weekend — or even longer. Although the city is celebrating the 725th anniversary of its founding this year, Düsseldorf’s real draws are to be found in its dozens of new developments: stylish contemporary architecture, impressive modern art, cool new restaurants and even new takes on altbier, the local brew that ranks among Germany’s best beer styles.

Posted by
14507 posts

Almost every trip I stay a night or two in Düsseldorf, always in the train station area.. The city is one of the wealthiest cities in Germany. At one time, the 1980s and 1990s, (don't know about now), Düsseldorf had per capita the most millionaires. See the Königsallee...pretty rizzy.

If you're want to do a day trip, several places can be recommended, obviously Cologne, depending on your level of interest. One place I would recommend is across the river, Neuss. Bonn also.

Posted by
14507 posts

Hi,

The hotel near the Hbf I heartily recommend is a 3 star, "Hotel Bismarck" on Bismarckstraße 97, ca 2-3 mins from the Hbf. I've stayed there many times. Breakfast comes with the price, an ample buffet. No A/C if you need that, I don't.

On a parallel street is a YMCA that caters to families.

Both the U-Bahn and S-Bahn run out of the Hbf, such as to Krefeld, Rattigen, Wesel, Kaiserswerth, Neuss. which I did as day trips.

If your father-in-law includes war history as part of his interest in history, take the train to Kleve from Düsseldorf Hbf to see the Reichswald WW2 cemetery. I saw it once...in 1989.

Düsseldorf airport has a direct flight to Calif too...LAX.

On comparing the area of Munich Hbf and Düsseldorf Hbf...I would say Munich is grittier. I don't get the same feeling in Düsseldorf.

Posted by
380 posts

@Fred - thank you very much for the information. That hotel looks great, my husband loved the pictures of the breakfast! If we do this trip it will be the first part of April so no AC will be needed.

Does that hotel have an elevator? I couldn't tell from the pictures.

Posted by
14507 posts

@ Georgia....Yes, the elevator is just opposite the front desk, "Rezeption" It's a small elevator, barely fitting one person and a spinner.

What you might also find handy is that the guests are offered a free public transportation pass to show the controller if you're checked. No need to get any bus pass for Düsseldorf. Keep in mind that Hotel Bismarck is not the only hotel in Germany. offering such a pass to its guests