Please sign in to post.

Driving in Germany

We are getting a rental car in Germany to drive rather than use public transit. Do we need to get an International Drivers License or is just our US license sufficient. I'm getting mixed answers on the internet.

Posted by
6569 posts

Just returned from Germany and the rental car company only wanted to see my U.S. license at the rental car counter. I got an IDP since I was driving in four countries and wanted to play it safe, plus I’ll will need it later this year for Spain. Nobody, in all my visits to Europe, has ever asked to see it.

From what I read, it is not required if your license is in English. There’s no mention of needing one on the state department website. Yes, there is conflicting information on the Internet, so spend the $20 plus photos and be safe.

Posted by
197 posts

I’ve gotten one in the past. It just provides a translation of the various fields on your license to the local language. It’s only a factor if you get stopped by the police.

Posted by
4880 posts

Well, according to Germany, it would appear that you would need an IDP if you hold a US license. https://bmdv.bund.de/SharedDocs/EN/Articles/StV/Roadtraffic/validity-foreign-driving-licences-in-germany.html#:~:text=Your%20driving%20licence%20is%20valid,the%20Federal%20Republic%20of%20Germany.

"You must carry a translation of your domestic driving license if

it was not issued in a Member State of the European Union (EU) or a state party to the Agreement on the European Economic Area (EEA) (Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway), or

it is not in the German language, or

it does not comply with the provisions of the Convention on Road Traffic of 8 November 1968 (Annex 6). You can find out whether your driving license complies with the provisions of Annex 6 by inquiring at the appropriate authorities of the issuing state.
German translations may be prepared by, inter alia, German motoring organizations or internationally recognized motoring organizations in the state that issued the driving licence, official agencies of the state that issued the driving license and court-appointed and certified interpreters and translators."

Posted by
7569 posts

Might be easier to get it, than not have it. I mean for 20-30 bucks, it's cheap insurance

Posted by
2908 posts

After more than a dozen trips renting a car in Germany and driving to Austria and northern Italy, I’ve never been asked for my IDP. Not even at the rental counter. I get one anyway. As stated above, cheap ins. in case it is needed.

Posted by
144 posts

I have been asked to present it at the rental counter in Germany at least three times in the last 4 years.
As noted, it’s very inexpensive to purchase. I feel that it is far better to have it and never need to produce it, than not have it and either get delayed at the rental counter right as you begin a trip … or worse yet, get into an accident and have a police officer want it. What excuse would be valid ( especially for a rules-oriented country like Germany)?

Posted by
32801 posts

When I saw the post title I thought you would be asking about the actual experience of driving in Germany. I just got back yesterday from one of many driving trips to Germany (using my car from England) and some of the surrounding countries.

Driving in Germany is unique, and I don't mean just the Autobahns. We can talk about those things and real experiences of the Autobahns if you'd like.

Posted by
24 posts

Nigel - please relate your German driving experiences for the rest of us. I’m hoping it will calm my wife’s nerves. My last was via motorrad in ‘81 and auto/motorrad in ‘85 - I hope things haven’t changed since both were enjoyable experiences.

Posted by
32801 posts

I shall do. It has been a weekend and Fathers Day here so I will take keyboard in hand in the morning

Posted by
32801 posts

I love going to Germany, been many times.

I usually take my car. That doesn't mean that I particularly like driving in Germany.

Context - I drive a lot, always have done. I drive in France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Italy, Monaco, Netherlands, Austria, and Germany from my home in England, driving my personal car from England.

I go out of my way to avoid driving in Belgium because of the crazy drivers and the awful state of the roads.

I love doing long distance driving in France on the French Autoroutes. With rare exceptions, if it is dry the speed is 130 kph, wet 110. Just get on - it helps that I have a toll transponder - set the cruise control and relax. Smooth, safe, fast. Super easy. Local roads are a bit tougher because of those yellow diamond signs, or worse the crossed out yellow diamond, 90 or 80 kph, lots of speed cameras.

Germany is now fighting with Netherlands for my least favourite country to drive in. You need to get into the mindset for the Autobahn. Even if you are on a no-speed-limit section you are likely to go slower and way more stressed than a comparable stretch of French Autoroute. Coming out of Basel on the no limit A5 is worse than the nearby French A35.

Why, I hear you asking. Much of German Autobahn is two lanes and there are a LOT of trucks. Trucks are slow, and they pull out to pass other trucks - s-l-o-w-l-y so if you are clicking along at warp speed you have to suddenly throw out the anchors. Sometimes people miscalculate and there are a lot of accidents, nasty ones. I tend to cruise on no-limit sections at between 145 and 165 (diesel Honda Civic with good tyres) but often only for 5 or 10 minutes before something slows me down. What this can often be is a car going faster than me so even if I am overtaking I have to return to the right lane before the missile behind me catches me - slow down a lot - then pull back out and rebuild the speed before the next missile or train of them. Very stressful, overall slower, and really hard on the mpg and the brakes.

Then learn the word Stau. It is the word for a buildup of traffic moving either very slowly or not at all. Could be caused by an accident, roadworks, a misalignment of the planets or nothing at all. You may never know the reason. Eventually you will start to move again so patience is key. Even Audi boy (often Audis, sometimes BMWs or Mercs or Land Rovers, and almost always men) has to stop for the Stau. When the traffic stops you are required to make a path for emergency vehicles as you stop. German and Austrian traffic law requires drivers to form a Rettungsgasse (emergency vehicle lane) whenever traffic backs up on the autobahn. Traffic in the left lane moves all the way left to the edge of the paving, the right lane moves to the verge on the right, if there is a middle lane it moves as far right as possible. Everybody does it automatically, and there are big fines if you don't. This leaves a wide lane open for all emergency services, and they will use it with a degree of noise and at some speed. Always have water on board, if winter have a way of staying warm.

That said, there are Autobahns linking most parts of the country. You aren't often far from one.

There is also a dense network of "B" roads, usually yellow on a map, and yellow on signs. They are good secondary roads and are often fast. A speed limit of 100 kph in the countryside, and 50 (or slower) in built up areas. Be aware that every crossroad will slow you to 70 kph for the duration of the junction, and they came with occasional speed cameras (no leeway). There likely will be no speed limit sign as you enter a town or village. The town name sign indicates the start of the limit, and there are more than a few speed cameras enforcing that right after the sign. The town name sign with a diagonal red stripe across it indicates the end of the restriction and you are back up.

... continued - out of space

Posted by
32801 posts

continued

When you reach a speed restriction of any sort in Germany it means that speed from that exact spot. It doesn't mean lift off the gas and start to coast down to that speed. That can be a very expensive mistake.

Keep an eye out for the yellow diamond and crossed yellow diamond. It means the same in Germany as it does in France.

There is quite a lot more but this is good to get on with I hope.

Posted by
32801 posts

just noticing the mention of motorrad. On Autobahns expect bikes to ride between lanes, especially as the traffic slows or stops. Worst accident I ever saw was a group of bikes and trikes which had quarreled with a truck on the downhill bit of the westbound A8 as it weaves towards the Teck valley. It wasn't nice. 10am sunny Sunday. Perfect bike day.

Posted by
556 posts

I really had to laugh Nigel :-) Now I know who that person is that is blocking me on the left lane .....

I drive left to pass the trucks at high speed (after all that's what a Autobahn is for) and suddenly I have to brake hard because a car changes from the 'truck lane' to the left lane and forgets to speed up.

Driving on a German Autobahn is easy if you don't drive like a slowpoke on the left lane :-) And don't forget to check if someone is coming on the left lane who is faster than your little car ..... maybe it's me next time :-)

Of course a joke but with a core of truth. Yes, I confess I love driving very fast on a Autobahn.

Posted by
2 posts

I really enjoyed driving in Germany. We went south from Frankfurt through Heidelberg to Freiburg. From there we went to Triberg and on to Lindau, Wangen im Allgäu and Fußen. We finished our trip in Munich. The autobahns were easy to drive. I was very aware of watching my back in the left lane and had no problems. Even the “b” roads were great. Knowing about slowing down in towns was helpful. We paid extra for the navigation in our rental car and paid attention to the speed limits on that. That quickly helped us figure out to slow down at the town sign and speed up at the exiting town signs. Overall a much better driving experience than at home in the USA!

Posted by
32801 posts

Yes, I confess I love driving very fast on a Autobahn

Audi?

BMW?

McLaren?

Posted by
556 posts

@Nigel

I would love to say Porsche 911 but the thruth is BMW 120i. A larger car does not make any sense in Munich.