Please sign in to post.

Driving in Germany

I will be renting a car and driving in Germany and Austria for the 1st time. What are things that I need to know? Rules of the road? I know the left lane is only for passing, no passing on the right, what else? Road etiquette? Getting gas - how does it work? Will my chip credit card work or is it better to use my ATM card that has a PIN? Any differences between driving there and driving here would be appreciated.
Thank-you.

Posted by
597 posts

Make sure you have knowledge of the international signs.
If you stick to using the left lane for passing you will do fine.
Mind the speed limit religiously since there are traffic cameras everywhere
Even though there are "NO SPEED LIMIT" zones, not everyone is flying as fast as they can.
I got surprised the first times I was passed by cars going as fast as they could.
Get out of the left lane if the car behind you flashes his lights.
Make sure you don't run out of gas in the autobahn.
Most highways have service island like in the states with gas station, restaurant and restrooms.
Six years ago I used my swipe and sign ATM card to get gas.
It probably will be a good idea to get feedback from the locals or those who have driven there recently.
When I was driving I made sure to be very focus on the road and not get distracted.
If you are going through a town, the yellow sign at the entrance with the town name has an implied speed limit (??).
Take a good GPS that will tell you what is the speed limit on the road you are travelling.
I was nervous the first couple of days and then got the hang of it.
Have fun.

Posted by
1221 posts

If you're planning on driving the autobahn in Austria, you need a toll sticker called a vignette on your windshield. The Polizei will sometimes set up roadblocks at the off ramps to check for these. There will be roughly 15,000 different gas stations and other places to buy one, typically well-advertised, and will run something like 10 euros for a week's sticker.

Some large cities have congestion rules and limit vehicle traffic in core areas to locals. But you don't want to be driving in central Munich or Berlin or Vienna anyways, so for those days of a trip, park the car at the hotel, and take mass transit.

Paid parking is a mix of 'pay and display' where you estimate how long you'll be at a lot and prepay at a kiosk, or postpaid where you get a ticket upon entering the lot and then pay when you leave. Note that the pay station at postpaid lots may be at a different location than the exit gate and that you need to validate your ticket at the pay station before the gate will oprn at those kinds of lots.

Posted by
2908 posts

Obey the speed limits! They change when you go through towns and villages!
The Austria Vignette can be purchased in Germany at a gas station. 9 Euro for a sticker good for 10 consecutive days. DO NOT drive on a highway in Austria without this on the car windshield. Look at the picture on the back of the sticker for proper placement. It's EASY.

https://www.german-way.com/travel-and-tourism/driving-in-europe/driving/autobahn/driving-on-the-autobahn/autobahn-tolls-in-austria-and-switzerland/

https://www.tripsavvy.com/vignette-austria-the-austria-road-tax-and-toll-sticker-1507935

Posted by
8442 posts

Note that directions signs are different there. We are used to seeing exits signs that say "I-70 East, St Louis" for example. There, you might see signs that just point and say "München". In other words, you have to have an idea of which road you are taking, since there could be more than one way to get to München from where you are. This is hard to explain, but it can cause you to get off at the wrong exit, or not see an exit for the smaller town you're looking for. They have higher expectations for driving skills, is what I was told.

Posted by
8141 posts

If you are on the autobahn in Germany, don't even get in the left lane to pass without carefully checking your mirrors. The BMWs and Mercedes' running 120 mph will be all over you. Speed differential is deceiving.
I use good road maps and carefully plan my routes, especially on autobahns. Be aware that the autobahns often don't go from city to city, but may go 5 miles outside one city to 5 miles outside another city. And in some regions, Germans have too many controlled access roads--confusing.
We just love driving the roads of Tirol, and often get up on the mountainsides driving from village to village. The scenery in western and southern Austria just cannot be beat.

Posted by
797 posts

A lot of good advice above, the one major detail omitted is you need an IDP in Austria ... it is the law. Years ago when I checked with the Austrian Travel Bureau the nice lady said regardless of Rick's chatty comments in his guide book, "Only a fool would drive without one. The fines are bad enough but if you have an accident the financial down side is potentially unlimited."

Posted by
1803 posts

Highway rest stops have nice clean restrooms. So don’t hesitate to use them. Only catch is that you need to pay for them. Have small change with you. I think It was abou 70 euro cents. Food can be pretty good too.

Posted by
7667 posts

I lived in Germany for 4 years working for the US Army.
Yes, I did drive my car 110MPH on the autobahn (top speed on the speedometer). However, I soon discovered that for long distances, driving so fast can be very stressful. You can't relax at all.
I found that driving about 85 MPH or 130KPH was a good speed to get where you were going fast, but you could relax a bit.

Germans tend to obey the rules of the road, and they expect you to do the same.

You do need to pay attention what the traffic is doing all the time on the autobahn, especially if you are in the left lane. There is always someone that wants to go faster than you. You must move over to the right if a car approaches you from the rear.

I have been able to use my credit card all over Europe without a chip and pin. Not sure if that works if you try to buy gas at a station that is unattended?

Posted by
268 posts

Have a look at http://www.gettingaroundgermany.info/regeln.shtml - not all of these rules have been mentioned here (for example, the right of way rule).

Also note: Someone here mentioned BMWs driving at 120 mph. Most family cars can do 120 mph. Someone with a fast car might do 250 kph / 155 mph. Few cars go faster than that. This makes it vitally important to check the rear view mirror before changing into the passing lane, look over your shoulder to cover the blind spot, and to use your turn signals. Passing on the right is strictly forbidden and dangerous (with the exception of slow-moving dense traffic); but people will do it if someone blocks the left lane (which makes it dangerous to drive on the left without passing anyone).

Posted by
2341 posts

I found YouTube very helpful preparing for driving in Germany. This guy was informative and funny. I live in a state that does not have self-serve gas (really, we don't) so I also watched videos to learn how to fill up. I only used a station where I could pay inside so can't answer the chip/pin question. Without question, get GPS for the car and make sure it's programmed to English before you leave the rental company.

The biggest mystery I encountered was parking in unattended lots. This page has helpful hints about using the paper parking disc to mark your time. My rental had one in it, but instead of being in the glove box it was stashed in the driver's door pocket (so look around for it).

Posted by
13 posts

Germans have a strong sense of community. and this carries over to the roads as well. Don't do anything that disrupts the smooth flow of traffic or is otherwise selfish or dumb. Most German drivers are adept, but if you do not follow the rules of the road, they will not hesitate to "punish" you with a blast of the horn or a few choice comments. Pay attention to the speed limits going through the small towns and villages. Even the best drivers get nailed by a "knips" ever so often.

Posted by
332 posts

A few of these have been posted, but this is my list of things that we have learned:

• When renting a car, get a compact car. City roads are narrow.

• A lot of rental cars are manual transmission. If you cannot drive one, make sure reserve an automatic

• Also don't skimp on the insurance. We get the loss damage waver. It came in very handy on our last trip.

•The left hand lane is the passing lane make sure once you have passed to move back over

• Use your turn signal

• Check your mirrors and blind spots several times on the Autobahn (Germany's interstate system) to make sure there is nothing there. Mainly as the superfast cars are not there one second and are there the next

• When parking in a garage, there is a kiosk near the entrance/exit. Before you leave, pay your ticket, or else you will have angry people honking at you while you figure it out.

• Some times what looks like free parking lot is not free parking. Gratis is the German word for free as in no money. If you are unsure, look for a little kiosk. If you see one and buy your ticket and display it on your dashboard. (It is always fun to get a parking ticket added to your rental car fee :( ) Frei which also means free but as in open spaces. (It always takes me a minute to remember that one)

• It is illegal to run out of gas on the Autobahn (this didn't happen to us, but it has been repeated to us over and over again)

• Some of the Autobahns do have speed limits. When one is there, make sure you are not driving above it. As Germany has cameras and will send the rental car company the speeding ticket which they send to you. (we did not have this happen, but a friend of ours did)

• Have your rental car company put the GPS into english. I would recommend a GPS it is worth it.

• It is more expensive to pick up a car in one country and drop it off in another. So keep that in mind

• The German word for drive is fahren. I still giggle like a 12 year old when I see Gute Fahrt (have a good drive/trip).

Posted by
8889 posts

The German word for drive is fahren. I still giggle like a 12 year old when I see Gute Fahrt

On the Autobahn, you will see lots of signs to "Ausfahrt". Photo: https://snarkysmachine.files.wordpress.com/2010/05/ausfahrt.jpg
No, its not the most common placename in Germany, it is German for exit.
In car parks you will see signs to "Ausfahrt" and "Ausgang", sometimes pointing in opposite directions. If you look them up in a dictionary, they both translate as "exit". But Ausfahrt = vehicle exit (the way you drive out), and Ausgang is the pedestrian exit.

Posted by
332 posts

I am still kicking myself for not buying the t-shirt that says "Where in the heck is Ausfahrt Germany"

Posted by
503 posts

As someone hinted at above, be very careful about cars approaching from behind you. For instance, if you want to change lanes to get around a slower moving car and look in your review mirror before moving over to the left lane to overtake the car, look twice, look three times and be aware that you may think you have enough time and room to get around but that car behind you could be traveling much faster than you expect and could be upon you before you know it. Having said all this and reading other answers, it is really not that difficult. If I can do it, anyone can. You just have to be a little more aware of what you are doing than you would be at home where you know where you are going and what the usual traffic is like. It's actually easy to drive the autobahn.

Posted by
1550 posts

Unlike most of their North American counterparts, German and Austrian drivers know how to merge onto a highway. None of this going straight into the middle lane business. I prefer to use a scenic side route whenever possible.

Posted by
2316 posts

We’re just back from 3 weeks of driving in Germany, Austria, Slovenia & Italy. Great advice so far. Speed limits are clearly posted. If you have gps in the car it will ding at you if you are going too fast. There’s a lot of construction going on now, and speed limit is 80 kph in those areas. We saw one road rage incident when a Porsche wouldn’t get out of the way for a Ford Fiesta! So don’t think it’s just sports cars that go fast! We were often driving 150-180kph, which is stressful. 4 hrs driving at high speed seems like 8 hrs driving in the US. We forgot to have the GPS changed to English (oops!) but it was still helpful. I downloaded maps in Google maps for offline use and that provided turn-by-turn directions without using data. Make sure you download maps that cover your entire journey. There are lots of semi trucks using the right lane. People switch lanes often and quickly, but use their blinker first. If there is traffic and you need to come to a stop, flash your hazards so people behind you know your not just slowing down. Have cash ready for tolls near tunnels. Exits on the autobahn are not frequent and sometimes an exit doesn’t have an entrance back on to the autobahn going in the same direction. If you exit, you may have a ways to go on side roads to get back on.

When getting gas, pump first then pay inside. Chip credit card works, but know your pin (request from card co.)

In Germany and Austria, rest stops are frequent and usually have gas, food/minimart and nice restrooms. You pay (0.50€) to use restroom but often get a voucher for the minimart in return.

Get familiar with road signs (one way, no entry, etc) in advance. Ausgang = exit (as in a parking garage, not autobahn exit), eingang = entrance.

Posted by
19 posts

Thank-you all so much for your input. All is wonderful advice and information and is greatly appreciated!

Posted by
268 posts

Have cash ready for tolls near tunnels.

To my knowledge, there are exactly two tunnels in Germany that charge a toll, both in the North, so this is not a general requirement :-)

Posted by
330 posts

My experiences on the autobahn (I am in Germany now) have been different. More often than not there has been an endless procession of trucks in the right lane going 80km/hr and everyone, including caravans going marginally faster will pull out to the left to pass, speed of traffic in that lane be damned. Construction everywhere, with sped limits of 80 and 100 km/hr. The times one can drive as fast as they wish are infrequent, and you’d better be prepared to brake hard to slow down for the next construction zone or that guy pulling the caravan going half your speed.

If you are diligent about only passing in the left, and alert to pedestrian crossings where you need to stop, you won’t find it a big adjustment. Merging lanes is almost a pleasure, everyone alternates turns and no one tries to jump the line merging at the last possible chance. In bumper to bumper on the autobahn, move as far left as you can in the left lane or as far right as you can in the right lane, this opens a lane for emergency vehicles, and unlike at home, no one who is not a first responder will use it.

Posted by
1291 posts

Getting gas is like the US self service. Be prepared to pay with cash (Bar) as many US cards are not accepted. Driving is similar to the US. Research the road signs and know them and emergency procedure for Stau (Rettungsdienst. emergency vehicles)! When entering a town on secondary roads the speed limit is 50 kph. Keep in mind there are stationary and mobile speed cameras (Blitzer) on the roads and Autobahns, to include tailgating distance cameras (white lines on the Autobahns, particularly by bridges). Traffic can be extreme on some Autobahns, especially in large cities. Truck traffic on the Autobahns has become crazy and congested. It's almost like they LET you drive on the Autobahns sometimes (Elephants dancing). Don't let high speed cars upset you, but don't pull ahead of them. Keep your eye on the rearview mirror and be cognizant of your surroundings. The Autobahn can become stressful if you let it. Go with the flow, but don't follow the idiot. If you have time, consider the more scenic slower secondary road route. Avoid school vacation times in Bavaria! https://www.schulferien.org/Schulferien_nach_Jahren/ Add an hour or more to your travel time during peak weeks. Rent a car with @200 HP if possible (to pass) with a good realtime navigation device. Big is not better when you have to park! I've been away from the US for 16+ years, but freewheeling driving in the US is more stressful for me now than the Autobahn. Probably familiarity. Austria is actually easier with the 130 kph Autobahn speed limit and in the mountains the road limits the speed. It can be frustrating when you get behind Opa or a tourist though...

Posted by
32750 posts

I know I always sound the pessimist here giving warnings of potential issues and messing with peoples' dreams of the perfect holiday away from home shores.

Perhaps some of it is lowering expectations so when things do go right the happiness is greater.

Anyway - can I just say - I Hate driving Autobahns, most autobahns, most days.

Yet again the A5 got me yesterday. From Freiburg im Breisgau to Frankfurt am Main, what should have been an easy 130 kph to 150 kph quick roll up the autobahn I was held up in at least 10 stau - traffic jams - starting within 5 km of joining the road. There were, as typical on the A5, millions of trucks, often passing each other despite the no trucks passing signs. And near Heidelberg we we stopped for a helicopter to take off from the other direction. At least the stp was just momentary - the poor suckers on the other side were parked for 2 junctions before the road had been closed. That would have added half a day to their sorry trips.

Truly, guys, the French Autoroutes and the Austrian Autobahns are so so very much easier to drive. Did I say I hate most German autobahns?

Yet I continue to drive them because they get me from place to place. Just not exactly fun.

Posted by
1291 posts

The Deutsche Autobahn stopped being fun years ago (no romance here and don't want to burst anyone's bubble too hard). Yes at times and places (less trafficked Autobahns and early AM) you can cruse at 100+mph for miles. With all the Old East truck traffic and X-plus-times the cars with Stau, construction (a German speciality, they fix roads that are better than many brand new American roads) and city traffic the train, bus, Strassenbahen and taxi look better all the time (and usually are less stressful). Use them for the whirlwind tour as in most cases the timetables are reliable. With time, relax and drive the secondary roads and see the Country. Take the less traveled roads. Enjoy your trip and exploration there. Stop for a drink and lunch. You will see culture there that is not touristic and real local German or local for other Countries. Driving will get you were public transportation can't. Public transportation can take 2-10 times longer to get to some locations. I drive as I like to explore, discover and I live here. Drive when the traffic is the least. Take the less traveled path and see some Echt Europe. Plan your time accordingly. Yes it will take more planning, but there are many resources to reference. English is a second language in Germany (hard for some to contemplate with only one language). Make a call or two, send an email, WhatsApp etc. talk to the locals...

Posted by
967 posts

Much great advice in this list. I enjoy driving in Germany because German drivers are skillful and predictable. They follow the rules, and expect you to also. I would just add these things: when a German car puts on the turn signal, it IS coming over, so be ready. And they will do the same for you when you put on your turn signal.

Understand the concept of "zippering in" when two lanes converge into one. Everybody takes turns - one from column A, then one from column B. It makes so much sense. I wish Americans would adopt that idea here. In Atlanta a turn signal just alerts the other drivers to get ready to block you.

Understand what the yellow diamond signs mean in towns and villages. If you DON'T have the yellow diamond, you don't have the right of way.

In the glove compartment of your car you will find a blue parking disc called a Parkscheibe. Here's how to use it. https://www.armybeatz.com/use-parking-disc-germany/

And in a German parking deck, take your ticket with you and pay at the Kasse machine before you return to your car. It's very efficient. All the cars can exit the deck very quickly that way. But if you forget and get to the exit lift bar without a paid ticket, Rut Row....

Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
868 posts

Could be the area of the country I was in, but A3 and A5 had huge
amounts of trucks, traffic and construction when I was there a month
or so ago, was surprised by the amount of traffic outside the cities.

You visited the most densely populated and industrialized part of the country. Like most fans of Rick Steves. Obviously traffic there is much worse than in less populated regions of the country.