Please sign in to post.

Driving from Munich to Austria

I am trying to help someone with a trip they planned to Germany. They will be there for 2 weeks this fall and wanted to drive from Munich and end up in Vienna. They would then take the overnight train back to Munich before flying home. I am looking for ideas on the best route and would love to get them to the Black Forest if possible somewhere along the way. They like a bit of history thrown in with different types of things to do. I see a lot of longer itinerary options and really need something shorter. Thanks for any help or insight.

Posted by
16893 posts

The Black Forest is the opposite direction from Vienna, but Austria has many lovely stops possible in the Salzkammergut region around Hallstatt and along the Danube river near Melk. To avoid paying a 2nd-country drop-off fee, it's usually better to take a train from Munich to Salzburg (or Innsbruck) and pick up the car within Austria.

Posted by
19092 posts

"take the overnight train back to Munich before flying home."

The overnight train leaves Vienna at approx 11:30 PM and gets to Munich around 6 AM. That doesn't allow much time for sleeping in your expensive compartment. I'd take the railjet in the late afternoon, then the S-Bahn to Freising, and the bus from Freising to the airport in the morning.

Posted by
12040 posts

The most direct driving route from Munich to Vienna skirts the northern edge of the Alps for about half the distance. The Black Forest pales in comparison, so there's absolutely no reason to back-track in the opposite direction just to see lower mountains (and if you really want to see lower mountains besides the Alps, you could take a slightly more northerly route through the Bavarian Forest).

Posted by
1292 posts

A dip to the south and the lakes in the Kärnten region are worth the visit. Liked the mountains around Hinterstoder too.