Please sign in to post.

Driving a Porsche 911

I am visiting Stuttgart this summer. I have been to the Porsche Museum and now I'd love to drive a Porsche 911 for a couple of hours or for a day. Does anyone know if and how that can be arranged in the Frankfurt, Stuttgart or Munich area? Any suggestions how to avoid being caught on photo radar on the autobahn?

Posted by
2333 posts

You can rent a Porsche from Sixt (www.sixt.de). But don't dream of autobahns where you can drive 200 mph; traffic is mostly way too heavy.

Posted by
533 posts

Hi Herb.

In 2012 we rented one for the day in Berlin from Avis, a brand new 911 Carrera. It was a Sunday (Sept 30 according to my notes), and we travelled north on A24/A19 to Rostock, stopping at Sachsenhausen on the way. The rental voucher is missing from the trip package, and it seems to me we didn't rent directly from Avis, but through an exotic car agency.

Prior to the trip I remember reading that traffic levels on those particular highways is typically light on Sundays, and I think larger transport trucks are not permitted to travel on Sundays, so that's why we did the drive that day.

It wasn't an inexpensive experience but it was memorable.

Posted by
122 posts

Thanks for your reply, sla019. I went through the list of vehicles for rent on your suggested web site: although they feature very exotic sports cars for rent, I could not find a Porsche car offered.

Posted by
122 posts

Thanks, Peter. Sounds like you enjoyed the experience. I definitely want to go on the autobahn - but avoid being caught on photo radar. I probably could arrange for a short visit to Berlin in order to have the experience of a lifetime.

Posted by
533 posts

Herb.

Just sent you a pm with a link to a Porsche rental agency that's says on the website they have offices in the 3 locations you mentioned in your original question.

Have fun.
Peter

Posted by
32767 posts

avoid being caught on photo radar.

Drive at or below the posted speed. If the speed limit is posted on an autobahn section it is very strictly enforced. Same is true when you are off the autobahn and pass a town limit sign which doesn't say but strictly means 50kph (about 30 mph).

If you are on a National Speed Limit section of the autobahn, designated by a white circular sign with a diagonal black slash, you can drive any reasonable speed but if you crash at higher than 130kph you are presumed to be at fault.

Look up the word Stau and become familiar with its implications.

You will as often be testing the limits of the brakes on the 911 as its acceleration.

Posted by
500 posts

I rented a consumer class mazda once in the berkshires (massachusetts). Parked in front of our bed and brekkie. Got up the next morning, put the keys in the ignition... and backed into a Porsche. Spent a month working out the insurance details. May your Porsche experience be more thrilling!!

Posted by
868 posts

The busiest Autobahns with the most speed traps are in Southern Germany, i.e. the region most foreign tourists visit. The only Autobahn I know where you can drive a Porsche flat out, without endangering others*, is the A20 in Northeastern Germany, which only gets busy on sunny weekends in the summer when Berliners drive to the beaches of the Baltic coast.

*Germans in general are not very happy when foreigners, which are not used to high speeds... or stick shifts, use the Autobahns as an adventure park.

Posted by
1293 posts

Traded in My Audi TTRS for an A3 Cabrio as I'm getting older. I've done 286 kph/177 mph.
Follow the speed limits.
Do not pass in the right lane.
I'll assume the Porsche has high speed tires...
Keep your distance as some cameras measure the distance between you and the car ahead. At least 50-100 meters based on speed, or half you speed (Tacho) in kilometers. You will see the white lines on the Autobahn. If/when you see the cameras many times on bridges it's too late. Do not tailgate or flash your lights or flash the left blinker to pass. Be courteous and concentrate. The recommended speed on the Autobahns is 130 kph.
The traffic will determine how fast you can go in areas without speed limits. Without experience at high speeds be very cautious. Be ready for a car or truck to pull out in front of you doing half your speed. Look much farther ahead than you are used to and keep your eyes on the road.
Be aware that German roads many times do not give you indications to slow down. Be smart in your driving and slow down on curves on the Autobahn and secondary roads. Rain changes everything and slow down and be aware of the rain speed limits.
Sunday mornings before 10:00 on non holidays is a good time for high speed and little or no truck traffic.
Have fun, but don't kill yourself or others. The Autobahn is not the Nürburgring!

Posted by
2333 posts

The only Autobahn I know where you can drive a Porsche flat out, without endangering others*, is the A20 in Northeastern Germany,

Well, there are a few more, which include the A73 / 71 from Bamberg to Erfurt to Sangerhausen in the middle of nowhere.

BTW, please be aware that in all likelihood you won't be able to buy full CDW when renting a Porsche. There will be an excess of €1000 at least.

Posted by
4156 posts

Speaking of the Nürburgring, you can rent an appropriately prepared Porche or other car and drive the Nordschliefe. My husband had plenty of fun doing that in a Suzuki Swift. He did 8 laps. Here's the link -- http://www.rentracecar.de/en/.

Be aware that no regular rental agency will allow you to drive their car on the Nordschliefe and you will be in big trouble if you try.

Posted by
12040 posts

I agree with the others... if speed is your goal, you won't be able to experience long stretches of top velocity in southern or western Germany, with only a few exceptions. I find that the portion of A7 south of Ulm usually has relatively mild traffic, except on Sundays going north, when it seems everyone departs from their Alpine weekends at the same time. Forget about getting any speed at all along A8, and most of A6 is touch and go except for the portion west of Kaiserslautern. A3 is also extremely busy, although traffic usually moves at a good clip.

The best major road I have found for driving long distances relatively unencumbered by tight traffic is A9 north of Bayreuth to the outskirts of Berlin, although there's often a choke-point near Leipzig.

Posted by
122 posts

Thank you for all your replies. One respond let me know that it cost him $850 for a day's rental. That's a bit steep for my pocket book. On his recommended web site there's an option for a 2 hour drive with instruction for Euro 199. I'll investigate that deal.