Please sign in to post.

Dresden—Yes or No?

We have signed up for the RS Poland tour in early June, and plan to travel independently for approximately 10 days post the tour. We plan on staying an extra day in Krakow to visit Auschwitz. Currently I am thinking of taking the train to Wroclaw and spending 2 nights and then spend 2 nights in Dresden via the train. After Dresden we would take the train to Berlin and spend the next 4 1/2 days there before flying home. Wondering if it makes sense to cut out Dresden so we would have more time to spend in Berlin? If we did eliminate Dresden, we would fly from Wroclaw to Berlin. Any thoughts?

Posted by
4140 posts

I have a biased view, having visited Dresden twice, (a week, each visit) In any event , two nights in any place , only translates to one day . Even one day there is better than none .

Posted by
4639 posts

I spent 4 nights each in Wrocław and Dresden (trip reports are linked for each) and while I can always spend more time in a town, I am glad that it wasn't less. Dresden and Wrocław have compact tourist centers; so, if you don't think you'd be back, you could still have a pleasant time in the 1 to 1.5 days that you would have in each.

It really depends on how you like to travel and how much there is that interests you in each town.

Posted by
6415 posts

Very much yes! Skipping Dresden would be a mistake in my opinion.

Posted by
671 posts

Definitely go to Dresden. It is an amazing place, even if just for 2 nights.

Posted by
185 posts

We did Dresden as a day trip by train from Prague in 2019. Well worth going!! Get tickets ahead of time for the Historic Green Vault- amazing!! We also did Rick’s walking tour in his Best of Germany book.

Posted by
1749 posts

I'll add my pro-Dresden vote to the chorus.

I stayed there five nights in 2019. I did one day trip to Leipzig and one to Saxon Switzerland. I highly recommend both. I also attended the Semperoper, and it was a superb production.

I absolutely loved my visit to Dresden. If you visit my blog (link in my profile) and search for Dresden, you can find my posts describing my time there.

Posted by
1371 posts

Four nights in Berlin and two in Dresden for me is better than six in Berlin - from a guy who spent three in Berlin and two in Dresden.

Posted by
7321 posts

It is a matter of opinion, but I rate Dresden slightly ahead of Wroclaw. You are likely to pass through Berlin on future trips, and less likely to pass through Dresden. Note that if you include nearby out-of-town sites (like the Peace Churches near Wroclaw, or Meissen and Saxon Switzerland, near Dresden) there is far more than you can see in either place in two days.

Posted by
541 posts

I agree with everyone else. I was just in there this past September and you will be glad you went to Dresden. To me it was just different enough from other German towns that I have visited. I loved it and think you will to. Berlin is amazing as well. I have also been to Auschwitz and my advice is to make sure to have your ticket bought in advance. I showed up without one and they were sold out and I had to buy a guided tour in a foreign language to get in. Hope you have a great trip!!

Posted by
7676 posts

I visited Dresden in 1989 when it was still in the old Communist DDR. There was still way too much bomb damage from WWII, yet it was an interesting place. Perhaps it has improved since German reunification.

Posted by
1296 posts

I think a visit to the rebuilt cultural center of Dresden is in order. Also a river boat trip along the Elbe towards the Czech Republic and return thru the Sächsische Schweiz. Maybe a stop or overnight along the way? I recall rows of renovated DDR flats in the city. I'm sure a culture in itself worth some time. You should read some of the graphic accounts from the survivors of the WWII bombing. The heat from the fire storms.

Posted by
14521 posts

Don't skip Dresden. Seeing Dresden for one day or so is still better than not at all. I've been there a number of times, as day trips and also on short visits, the first time in 1992 was on a guided bus tour from Berlin. Very interesting place and I need to go back again.