Please sign in to post.

Deutsches Museum in Munich - Messerschmitt exhibit closed through 2020?

Reading the Deutsche-Museum website, it appears the WWII aircraft exhibition is closed through 2020. Few questions:

1. Can someone confirm this is so?
  2. Is the collection exhibited elsewhere?
  3. Is there another collection of WWII German aircraft near Münich/Nürnberg/Berlin/Frankfurt/Köln?

I did look at the Flugmuseum Messerschmitt near Ingolstadt, but the dates don't work for us.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks @Lee. I looked at the one in Oberschleßheim - sadly it didn't have the FW190, Me109, Me262s that I was looking for.

Posted by
14795 posts

Those particular planes I have seen in other museums in Europe. In London the Me 262 can be seen at the RAF Museum, Tube stop: Colindale located in North London. The interior of the Jumo engine is also displayed next to the plane. The Smithsonian Air Museum in DC also has the Me-262.

The Me 109 is at RAF Museum, Duxford, England. You have to take a taxi from the train station. I took the train from London, after that the taxi to reach the Museum grounds.

The FW-190 used to be at the Imperial War Museum in London, Tube station , Lambeth North. Elephant &Castle Tube station is all right, the walk to the IWM is a bit longer. The plane you don't see in the museums is the Stuka.

There is the Luftwaffenmuseum in Berlin-Gatow but I don't believe it has WW2 planes, this museum used to be in Hamburg. Seeing the WW2 German planes in Munich is different from seeing them in museum in England. In Germany the planes have been "sanitized," not so in England. ...can't help you with the other questions.

Posted by
32325 posts

As Fred mentioned, the best place to see the planes you mentioned in probably the RAF Museum in Hendon, provided you were planning to be in the U.K. The Aviation Museum north of Munich does have an ME-109 but not the others.

As I recall, there's also a Stuka in the Hendon Museum in the Battle of Britain hall. I'd have to check my photos. The "Jericho Trumpets" must have been absolutely terrifying to those on the receiving end - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg0vBIzM9S4

Posted by
868 posts

If you want to see the weapons of the losing site you need to visit the museums of the winners... ;-)

Posted by
19238 posts

From the website of the Deutsches Museum,

The Historical Aviation section (up to 1918) in the old Aviation Hall
(Level 1) will remain open.

The new Aeronautics Hall with the sections Aviation 1918-1945, Modern
Aviation and the Physics of Flight will remain closed. These areas are
being redesigned and will open again in 2019.

Selected aircraft from the closed areas will be relocated to the
Flugwerft Schleissheim branch museum.

There was an ME-109 and an ME-242 at the old Deutsches Museum exhibit. Perhaps they will be moved to Schleissheim while the Deutsches Museum exhibit is closed.

Posted by
14795 posts

That entirely depends upon the particular weapon of the losing side, what one is tracking down and is going.

I've seen numerous Russian tanks, (T-34, JS 1), SU tank destroyers in museums in Germany and, of course, in England. The 88 mm gun , as known to us, which in German is known as the "8,8 cm" I've seen in Berlin, Vienna, London, New Orleans, maybe Paris too. I've seen the Tiger I tank in both England and Germany. You can see the famous Austrian "Skoda" gun of 1914 , 310 mm, made in Pilsen, in Vienna.

The Me 262 I've seen in Wash, DC, Munich, and London. The most prevalent German plane, if any are displayed at all, is the Me-109, which I've seen in Seattle, Munich, and England at two different museums, one of which is in London. .

Posted by
483 posts

Fred said,

"One of plane you don't see in the museums is the Stuka".

The Ju-87 is an incredibly rare plane now and I only know of two in museums:

1. The Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.
  2. The Royal Air Force Museum outside London.

Apparently, a third Stuka has been found, but I don't know if it's on display yet or not.

-- Mike Beebe

Posted by
14795 posts

Thanks for the information. I am aware of the plane at the Chicago Science & Ind. Museum but the one outside of London, you don't mean Duxford? Or, is it another site?

Posted by
483 posts

Hi Fred,

Yes, the museum in Duxford is the correct one.

I'm fairly surprised the Russians don't have their own Stuka, as many -- including the infamous G model -- were captured by the Red Army near the end of the war.

It's also interesting that the American A-10 ground attack plane design was aided by Hans Rudel, the highest-awarded Geman soldier in WW2, who was himself a Stuka pilot. He actually "downed" a top Soviet ace by flying his Stuka so slow that the pursuing Russian stalled his plane while trying to line up a shot on Rudel and crashed. Unfortunately, Rudel also remained an unapologetic and ardent Nazi to the end of his life, so it's probably for the best not to sing his praises too loudly.

-- Mike Beebe

Posted by
32325 posts

The RAF Museum in Hendon, which is just outside London definitely has a Stuka (I have a picture of it). It may have been moved to Duxford since my last visit?

Posted by
14795 posts

Thanks guys for the updated information. I was at Duxford in Oct 2018, did not see the Stuka. I probably missed it, both of us. A old time friend was with me and the plane escaped his attention too. I know that the top Stuka ace Oberst Rudel (He was promoted that high). was involved in the 1988 (?) elections. I read his book, ie for what it is worth historically as a memoir and primary source material.

Posted by
483 posts

Ken and Fred,

Well, I'm an idiot -- I would have sworn on a stack of flight manuals that the Stuka was at Duxford. You're both correct: it's in Hendon.

-- Mike Beebe