Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Boppard in February 2017

I am planning a trip in February 2017 and booked a Thursday and Friday night in Boppard. I was hoping to take the cable car up to the Fortress in Koblenz on Friday and tour Marksburg on Friday then hit Rheinfelds castle on Saturday morning before taking train to Baden-Baden. Winter cable car schedule is only Saturday and Sunday so looks like I have Friday open now and was looking for somewhere to go on the train from Boppard.

Posted by
6641 posts

I believe Rheinfels is closed until mid-March.

I don't know whether you're still coming from Paris on Thursday, but if so, it would make a lot of sense to me to park yourself for a half day and a night in Trier. It's an interesting and charming small city with some UNESCO World Heritage sites. On Friday you could maybe see a bit more of Trier?? Or leave early and park your bags in a Koblenz station locker while you visit Marksburg Castle in Braubach (only 10 minutes by train from Koblenz - you'll get there faster than you'd get to the Ehrenbreitstein lift from Koblenz station.) Once you've seen Marksburg, return to Koblenz and catch a train to Mainz, a good place to spend Friday night and do some more sightseeing the next morning. And Mainz is closer to Baden-Baden than Boppard. As you ride the train south from Koblenz, you may bypass the Middle Rhine Valley towns, but your train will pass through the same scenic, castle-studded route, so grab a window seat... trust me, these small Rhine towns are mostly shuttered tight in winter (makes sense if a major attraction like Rheinfels is closed, doesn't it?) so your time is better spent elsewhere.

Posted by
19092 posts

According to the St. Goar website, the castle is available for open guided tours in February on Saturdays and Sundays at 11:00 and 14:00, weather permitting.

Castle Rheinfels is closed for individual guests from November 9th
2015 to March 11th 2016!

Weather permitting open guided tours are offered on saturdays and
sundays at 11.00 and 14.00 o'clock.

Weather permitting, guided tours will be available for groups of at
least 10 people after prior arrangement with the Tourist-Information.

The museum is closed.

Note, the website has not been updated for 2017. This is last year's information.

Posted by
8943 posts

You could cross the river and take the train down to Eltville. The Eberbach Monastery is a short bus ride from here and it is open all year. Very impressive 800 year old monastery. Wine tasting, great food and lovely half-timbered buildings are all there in Eltville. It doesn't seem to shut down quite as bad as the other towns on the Rhine.