Please sign in to post.

Day trips from Berlin

We are registered for the Best of Germany tour in May 2023. We plan to spend several additional days in Berlin after the tour. We definitely plan to go to Potsdam one day. What additional day trips do you recommmend? Thank you.

Posted by
2288 posts

I also enjoy Halle (Saale) but you can't do justice to either, if you combine it with Leipzig, in that day !
A reminder, if you do consider Leipzig, you can't cheap-out on the train ticket - you need to purchase the ticket for a high-speed ICE.
While in Potsdam, just over there by Tram, is the Glienicker Brücke, very meaningful from the Cold War era.

Posted by
7267 posts

Not quite as far as Leipzig is UNESCO WHS Gartenreich Dessau-Worlitz, if you like that sort of thing, as we do. Many outdoor lunch options nearby in season. Another closer-in trip is the Gründerzeitmuseum in Mahlsdorf. It's a very long walk, or a cab ride from a Berlin SB train stop, very easy to get to. It's related to the Pulitzer Prize winning play "I am My Own Wife", but in that sense is a also a Nazi-era and Stasi-era stop. Limited English tours by appointment only.

Posted by
14500 posts

How far from Berlin do you want to go? Presumably, within 1-2 hours. Lots of choices here, depending on your interests aside from Potsdam.

I would suggest Leipzig, Lutherstadt-Wittenberg, Rheinsberg, and Halle, as suggested above. For a specific WW2 place, then Seelow, if the distance is not a major concern. I did day trips to these places from Berlin, also the length of time depends of the train, the ICE or a regional train.