Please sign in to post.

Day trip to Neuschwanstein Castle from Munich Summer 2020

We are a family of four (2 adults, 2 children) traveling to Munich this summer. We are planning a day trip to Neuschwanstein castle and wondering which would be the best train to take to get to Fussen. I know the Bayern pass only works after 9:00 AM so that means we won't get there until about 13:00, which probably means we would need to book a 15:00 tour. Is there an earlier high speed train that we can take that may be worth the extra money to get there earlier or would sticking to the regional trains covered by the Bayern pass be best? I know the last regional train is about 18:00 back to Munich. I don't want to feel rushed, but I'm also unsure if the extra hours around Fussenare worth it.
Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Posted by
7209 posts

Go on a weekend where the 9:00 am rule is not in effect. There are no high speed trains to Fuessen from Munich. Mike's Bikes has a tour on their bus to the castles which includes biking around the area on their bikes. It might be faster ? but the bikes are definitely fun.

Posted by
4675 posts

How do you know you'll get tickets for that particular time? When we were there a few years ago, getting tickets was quite a challenge: the online system was sold out in advance, we had to stand in line at 8:00am [for over an hour] for tickets, and then the only tickets left were for much later in the day. It was an exhausting all-day process. I hope there are other folks here who have had better experiences, and will share those. If I had to do it over again, I would have purchased tickets from a tour company.

Remember you'll need to catch a bus or cab from the Fussen train station to the base of the castles, and then there is another 45 minute walk or bus ride [requires standing in lines] to N-Castle, and lines at N-Castle [even with timed tickets]. Repeat this to return back down. You'll need to plan time for all these transitions.

IMHO, the indoor N-Castle tour was a let down: only 30 minutes, bad acoustics, and bored tour leader. I did enjoy the outdoor area, and taking pictures from St. Mary's Bridge, and walking back down. But- I THINK currently there's outdoor/indoor scaffolds doing repairs???

In either case, enjoy your trip, and be prepared.
Safe travels!

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you both for your reply, unfortunately we won’t be able to head there on the weekend. The bike option sounds interesting and would make it more fun. I hear a lot about the inside being a let down but it’s one of those things we need to check off the list. On their site it says I can pick the time since it’s still 6 months in advance I’m hoping it will be available.

Posted by
436 posts

I can also recommend the Mike's Bikes trip. Not sure of the ages of your kids, but I took each of my sons when they were 11 and they loved it. There was also a chance to do the sommer rodelbahn and swim in the lake. If the weather is fine and you want to spend some extra money - tandem paragliding. It makes for a fun busy day.

Posted by
20002 posts

No high speed trains, but during weekdays you would need to pay the regular fare to take earlier trains. Another option is to go on a weekend or German public holiday when the Bayern Ticket is valid on early morning trains.

Here is a little trick that can get you an earlier start with a Bayern Ticket. There is an 8:52 train from Munich that will get you to Fuessen by 10:55. If you buy local MVV tickets, 3.30 EUR per adult, 1.50 EUR for kids under 15. Then buy your Bayern Ticket, and board the 8:52 train to Fuessen (via Kaufbeuren). Your MVV tickets are valid to Munich-Pasing, then the Bayern Ticket becomes valid as you depart Pasing at 9:00 am.

Posted by
17 posts

Thank you everyone for the advice. We went ahead and booked the Mike’s Bike tour. This seems like the most convenient and enjoyable way to do this day trip.

Posted by
2004 posts

We did the Mike's Bike Tour trip with our young adult kids. We all loved it!!! I was afraid my husband was going to think it was cheesy, but that was not the case AT ALL.

Posted by
12040 posts

Count me as one who was less than impressed by Mike's Bike tour. Mainly because I covered most the same ground the day before on foot, and other than one church, the tour didn't take you inside any buildings....

... caveat being that I took this tour in 2006, so it could have changed significantly in the interim.

Posted by
2004 posts

Tom, did you take Mike's Bike Tours to Neuschwanstein or on a tour within Munich? I ask because we did the one to the castle and there was no church on that tour. We enjoyed our tour so much that the next day we rented bikes in Munich from Mike's and spent an entire day riding around the English Garden etc. I know they have bike tours in Munich, but we didn't do one of those.

Posted by
7209 posts

The bike tour around the castle area is to see the sights outside. I think Mike's bikes is more about being outside than inside.

Posted by
2004 posts

Tim--That wasn't our experience with this tour. We felt it was a good combination of seeing the castle from different vantage points, inside and out, and the bike ride was just a bonus.

ngc663--That is the tour that we took:) The bus ride was very nice and comfortable. We did it in mid September and I would say the bus was half full at most, so not crowded at all. You can buy drinks on the bus as well, soda and beer, for like one euro or something like that. Enjoy!