Please sign in to post.

Day Trip Rhine Cruise from Frankfurt

Hello - I am traveling solo and want to do a day trip from Frankfurt for a cruise on the Rhine. Does anyone have any recommendations? Preferably a cruise that does not involve dinner. I am thinking about booking a train myself rather than a service that includes a bus/car from the city but can be persuaded otherwise. If I am buying a train ticket, what station/rail line should I use and go to? Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Posted by
9142 posts

There is a train every hour from track 23 or 24 at the main station in Frankfurt, that goes to Rüdesheim. It leaves at 07:53, 08:53, 09:53, etc. Once you get to Rüdesheim, the KD docks are straight down the street that runs along the river and the train tracks. The ships do not match up with the train arrivals, so you have time to walk around the town. There are not a lot of ships per day, so check the KD schedule to see how it matches with your train. Ride the ship to St. Goar, go explore Burg Rheinfels, take the train back to Frankfurt, maybe with a stop in Bacharach.

1 person, one way to Rüdesheim, is 14.80. You will need a ticket from St. Goar to Frankfurt too, that will cost you 27.50€
A Quer Durch Deutschland ticket is 44€, so you could get this if you like, but you can't use this before 09:00 except on weekends though.

Show your train ticket to the KD stand and get a discount for your ship.
As already mentioned, www.rmv is good to look at times and schedules for the Frankfurt area trains.