Please sign in to post.

Day Trip from Munich

Our family will be arriving in Munich 5/9 and leaving 5/14 and would like to visit Zugspitze but it's closed for Spring for maintenance. Any suggestion for a day trip to the Alps, this would be our first visit to Germany.

Also, do we need a Trial Bahncard to get in and around Munich since we are not staying close to Munich?

Posted by
1373 posts

Although not an Alps day trip, the Dachau concentration camp in suburban Munich is worth a half-day. It's somber and sad but also a very educational experience.

Posted by
8399 posts

I’m afraid you are not giving enough information to get the best replies.
1. Where are you staying specifically? Is it near an S or U line?
2. How many people in your party? How old are they? (Adults,children)

Even if you can’t go up the Zugspitze, Garmisch-Patenkirchen remains a great day trip with lots of activities available and lovely Alps scenery. Many other lifts in the area.

Posted by
904 posts

Get the Bayern pass for the family and do a day trip to Innsbruck. It's a straight shot from Munich and mountains all around. If you really want Garmisch go visit Partnachklamm instead of the Zugspitz.

You can buy a day pass for in and around Munich, but as Carol says, it really helps to know where you're actually staying if not in the city.

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you for all the feedback. We will definitely consider Garmisch P and consider visiting Innsbruck.

BTW, we are staying at Munich City East and the closest train station is Osbahnhof U bahn.

Posted by
188 posts

Regarding Zugspitze, the following web page shows the opening hours.
https://zugspitze.de/en/Service-information/Opening-hours-timetables
In the period May 9 to May 12, trips to the Zugspitze are possible. Please check the site shortly before you plan to go, as changes are possible. This only makes sense in good weather.

The closest mountain alternatives from Munich are:

Train to Lenggries and short bus ride to the Brauneck-Bergbahn (1:20 hours from Munich HBF). At the top there are moderate hikes, beautiful views and cozy alpine huts.

Train to Tegernsee 1:06 hours from Munich HBF. There are many possible hikes here, or simply enjoy the lake.
https://www.outdooractive.com/en/hikes/tegernsee/hikes-at-lake-tegernsee/1453397/
Don't miss the Bräustüberl Tegernsee.

Posted by
3 posts

Thanks Paul. I’ve been looking into Zugspitze website but can’t figure out if the weekend of 5/11-5/12 is open or not since there is no way to purchase ticket. There website and the link you attached says they are open I guess I’ll check when we get there.

Thanks again to all for all your posts.