Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Cologne

Guten Morgen!

I will be arriving early in Cologne for the start of my GAS trip in early September. I will have 2 full days before my tour starts. I'm looking for suggestions on day trips (full or half day) from Cologne by train. Has anyone been to Aachen?? Looks interesting. Or would Bonn be a better destination? Any information or comments appreciated.

Posted by
14758 posts

If you do go Bonn, consider Bad Godesberg too.

Posted by
1312 posts

I'd jump on the RE5 and go to Koblenz. It's a short walk from the main Bahnhof to the Eck and you can take a sielbahn to the fortress.

Posted by
7748 posts

Aachen is a superb destination, and easy to get to. Two other options are Dusseldorf, which has its own local beer, completely different from Kolsch, and Monschau, which is touristy, but an outstanding, very large and pure half-timbered town. May not have a train station. Some people, especially those who've seen the German movie "The Princess and the Warrior" want to see the Schwebebahn in Wuppertal, just beyond Dusseldorf.

Note that Cologne has more than two full days of attractions itself. It is completely false to say that there is nothing to do in Cologne except the highest-turnstile count place in Germany, the Dom. And many who visit the Cathedral skip the superb Treasury because it has an entry charge.

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/germany/can-i-see-enough-of-cologne

Many people would mention the scenic Middle Rhine boat ride from Bingen to Boppard, which is do-able, but easier from Frankfurt, for example. The train is always used to get to and from this boat ride, not the "boat all the way". Maybe that's on the Rick tour???

Posted by
6923 posts

I will be arriving early in Cologne...

Arriving how? Does this mean your flight lands at CGN? Or are you flying into FRA (or another airport) and catching the train to Cologne?

If it's FRA, perhaps you'd have time that very same day to do a 1.5-hr Rhine Cruise as part of your transportation to Cologne. The steps would be...

FRA airport > Bingen by train
Bingen > St Goar by boat
St Goar > Köln by train

Trace those steps using the map below; FRA airport is "Flug." just below the red plane symbol.

https://www.seat61.com/images/rhine-train-map.jpg

Posted by
7556 posts

I loved Aachen, and it's only 30 minutes away by train from Cologne. Its cathedral is quite beautiful (especially the interior, which is drop-dead gorgeous) and houses the remains of Charlemagne, leader of the Holy Roman Empire. The town is also very charming and has a lovely vibe to it. It's smaller than Cologne and you could easily spend some time just walking around and enjoying the sites.

Don't miss the Granus tower, which is next to the Rathaus (town hall) and is one of the few pieces remaining from Charlemagne’s palace. It dates back to the 8th century, making it over 1200 years old.

Posted by
32 posts

Thank you all for your replies. I have been to Cologne once before so I want to get out of that city and explore a bit. I have also cruised on the Rhine and visited Koblenz. So...it seems that Aachen will be my day trip.