Please sign in to post.

Day trip from Berlin

We'll be Staying in Berlin 5-6 days. Looking for recommendations to day trip: quaint towns, castles preferred, unique people watching places preferred. Ideas?

Posted by
2487 posts

You have already considered Potsdam, on the edge of Berlin? Famous for its palace and even more for the palace gardens. Not far from the city centre and easily reached by the S-Bahn (running every 10 minutes; 40 minutes from Berlin Hauptbahnhof).
Somewhat further away (about 45 minutes from Berlin Hauptbahnhof) you have Wittenberg (formally called »Wittenberg Lutherstadt« because of its associations with Luther). It's a medium-sized city with enough typical German things to enjoy. A return ticket for the two of you on the fast and luxurious ICE train will be some EUR 75. These trains have compulsory reservation, so tickets are best be bought the day before.

Posted by
8094 posts

I've not made it to Berlin, but when we go we're going to be also visiting Dresden--2 hr. train ride from Berlin. I've been reading online of this incredible city since we had relatives that fled in 1938. Dresden's finally been reconstructed for the most part, and the architecture is absolutely stunning. Prior to Allied bombing in 1945, it was perhaps the most beautiful city in Europe--Florence of the North they called it.

The Saxon mountains and the Elbe River Valley are also incredibly beautiful.

Posted by
7010 posts

I would second Potsdam if it's not already on your list, so much to see there. I took a walking tour there with Original Berlin walks and it was excellent. It was quite a bit of walking after taking train and bus (with guide) to starting point but well worth the effort, lots of history there. It was about 6 hours total so the better part of the day but had time for lunch in town and then time on our own to explore the palace and grounds after the tour (optional).

If you don't mind the 2 hr each way train ride I would also recommend Dresden. If you don't want that much time on the train there is also Leipzig and if you're ambitious travelers you could even combine Leipzig and Wittenberg in one long day trip.

So many options.

Posted by
868 posts

Berlin was built in the middle of nowhere. It's difficult to find quaint towns, and the castles were turned into residences in later centuries. Anyway, here are some ideas:

Potsdam
That's the most popular day trip. Potsdam was the summer residence of the Prussian kings for 200 years. Most people visit just Sanssouci, but there is much more to see. The city is surrounded by four more parks (Babelsberg, New Garden, Glienicke and Peacock island), and the partly preserved old town gives you an idea that Prussia was much more than just wars and Pickelhauben. There is a Dutch quarter, a Bohemian quarter (Babelsberg), and wooden Russian houses and a church.
Sanssouci already requires a full day if you want to see the whole park and most of the buildings.

Schwerin
Schwerin is the capital of the state of Mecklenburg-Vorpommern and formerly the duchy of Mecklenburg. The highlight of the city is the 19th century fantasy castle beautifully situated on an island. The old town, surrounded by lakes, is very nice too; a picturesque mix of half-timbered houses, Brick Gothic and grand 19th century government buildings.

Wittenberg
This is a small town with many places related to the Protestant Reformation. Some of these places could be closed however because of the coming celebrations. On the other hand there is a big exhibition about Lucas Cranach right now.

Tangermünde
This is off the beathen path and a real insiders' tip. A small town on the banks of the Elbe river, with impressive medieval fortifications and a cute old town. (pictures)

Quedlinburg
This isn't really a day trip anymore since it takes 3 hours to get there, but: Quedlinburg is one of Germanys most beautiful towns, easily on a level with Rothenburg, but bigger, more important, and less crowded. And a World Heritage Site, unlike RodT. There is a direct train on weekends, so it's possible.

I would NOT recommend Dresden. On a day trip you would only see the old town, but this old town was leveled in WW2 and only a small part was reconstructed. Sure there are some highlights like the Zwinger or the Frauenkirche, but the real reason to visit the centre are the museums, whicha re quite unique and truly world-class, but you will already visit many museums in Berlin.
Dresden is good choice if you stay there for some days since it's a great base for day trips.

Posted by
19052 posts

I guess I'm not a city person. I spent four nights in Bad Schandau (Sächische Schweiz), on the Elbe, a few years ago and loved it. One day I went to Königstein, a virtually impenetrable fortress. Very interesting. Another day I took the S-Bahn into Dresden. Very so-so. Interesting to see the church which survived the fire bombing only to collapse the next day, but otherwise, just a big city.

Just noticed the previous post. I would recommend an overnight trip to the Harz region - not only the fachwerk towns of Wernigerode and Quedlinburg, but the Brocken, scene of the Walpurgisnacht in Göthe's Faust. You could visit Quedlinburg and Wernigerode on the way and take the narrow gauge steam train from Wernigerode to the top of the Broken and spend the night at the hotel on the top of northern Germany's highest mountain (~3700 ft).

Posted by
15560 posts

Dresden is far for a day trip and too lovely at night not to stay over. 5-6 days in Berlin is not very much if you want to see the sights in the city.

Posted by
12040 posts

Another option would be the Garden Realm of Würlitz, near Dessau and Wittenberg. I'm not sure how long it takes to get there via public transportation, but probably under two by car.

Posted by
14482 posts

Hi,

"...quaint towns,castles preferred...." If you want an esoteric place connected with history, specifically Prussian history, I suggest Neustrelitz, formerly of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, very doable as a day trip from Berlin. The Schloß/chateau is connected to the Queen of Prussia, Luisa of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, who had to negotiate with Napoleon at Tilsit/East Prussia, another example of Napoleon's faulty diplomacy.

Posted by
868 posts

If you want an esoteric place connected with history, specifically
Prussian history, I suggest Neustrelitz, formerly of
Mecklenburg-Strelitz, very doable as a day trip from Berlin. The
Schloß/chateau is connected to the Queen of Prussia.

Ahm, the Schloss/chateau was destroyed in WW2 and doesn't exist anymore.

Posted by
19052 posts

When I was in Braulage in 2008, the bus stop had a posting for a dedicated round trip day bus trip from Braulage to Berlin. I wonder if they have the same thing in reverse.

Posted by
14482 posts

That Schloss in Neustrelitz is pointed out in a big city map stand located at a street corner ca. 2-3 mins from the train station and the bus depot. No, I didn't go there but it was indicated on that map.

Posted by
868 posts

That Schloss in Neustrelitz is pointed out in a big city map stand
located at a street corner ca. 2-3 mins from the train station and the
bus depot.

That's probably one of the Stadtpalais. The castle of the grand dukes looked like this and doesn't exist anymore. But the palace grounds survived and are very nice.

Posted by
14482 posts

Good! Thanks for the information, esp the second one on the Schloss. Whether the corner street map stated Stadtpalais or Schloss, I can't be sure but Königin Luisa's name was also listed, .....the bottom line: a definite return trip to Neustrelitz to see that sight.

Posted by
513 posts

I second the recommendation for Leipzig. There is so much to do and see there, and it is a shorter train ride from Berlin than Dresden. Among the many sites to visit are the Thomas Church (Bach) and the Nicolai Church (candle light marches in 1989). Then, if you are a Faust fan, there is the excellent restaurant Auerbachs Keller which is featured in the story.

Posted by
58 posts

It looks like there are a lot of good suggestions above. I would just add that the recommended day trips from Berlin as listed in Rick's Germany guidebook are to visit Potsdam (highlights include: Sanssouci Palace, Neues Palais, Bornstedt Royal Estate, Potsdam Town, and Cecilienhof) as well as a visit to the Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp Memorial.

Posted by
7453 posts

We did Leipzig as a day trip and was pleasantly impressed. A very active central area, lots of shopping, mostly pedestrian, some good historical sights. If you are into beer, there are a couple breweries specializing in Gose beers, a beer unique to the area.

We also did Potsdam, and we went to Sachsenhausen Concentration Camp...but those two could be a half day each, full if you want.