Please sign in to post.

Dachau concentration camp

Hello,

My 17year old son and I would like to visit Dachau in July. We're interested in doing it on our own, as it seems to be fairly east to get there from Munich. But my main concern is, do the guided tours fill up fast ? On the memorial's website, there were only 2 times available, 11 and 2, I think for about 30people. I was wondering, because it's summer, would we be better to go through an organized tour?

I know the entrance is free and we could get audio tours, but I'd much rather have a guided tour experience as its more interactive.

Thanks

Posted by
19117 posts

I took the guided tour from the Memorial site itself in 2. Sept. 2009 and had no trouble getting a place. Tours are at 11:00 AM and 1:00 PM. if you are worried, get there early, reserve your tour, and watch the documentary film first at 10 or 12:30.

Posted by
381 posts

We did the audio tour and did it on our own. It is an amazing and sobering site and is a full day if including the train ride from Munich. My husband and I move at a different pace when touring so it works better for us to take in information at our own pace. We found Dachau to be emotionally overwhelming and at times just had to take a deep breath and sit on a bench in the garden to regroup.....

Posted by
62 posts

Thank you for your responses, I hadn't considered the advantage of self pacing, the ability to step back and pause.

And yes, going early and watching the documentary sounds like a great idea, at least we'll ensure we'll get tickets and make use of our time.

Posted by
11613 posts

I also visited using the audioguide. I had to stop many times.

Posted by
425 posts

We also did the audio guide and have no complaints. Good luck with whichever you decide.

Posted by
94 posts

I guess it all depends on your preference. We spent a full day there and did the audio guide on our own. There was SO much information that it was overwhelming. We ended up spending forever in the main part of the museum and then had to rush through the bunkers, grounds, etc. All three in our group agreed that if we had a do-over we would have done the guided tour and then spent time after the tour going over parts we wanted to see more of. Either way, it is an emotionally heavy day.

Posted by
13 posts

I am taking my 82 year old mother there in April. She gets around just fine, but was wondering if anyone can recommend a small guided tour? I have been there before and remember the train had no seats on it - is there an option that maybe has a bus transport there or a train with seats?

Posted by
19117 posts

have been there before and remember the train had no seats on it

???

Define seats. The train is an S-Bahn. The S-Bahn has seats. They might not be in regular rows, but they are seats. Depending on the time of day, they might all be taken, but that can happen on any conveyance.

There are also hourly regional trains from the Hbf (Gl. 20 or 21, I think) that stop at Dachau Bahnhof. They would have seats in rows, if that is what you want.

Finally, you can take the #20 streetcar to Moosach Bahnhof and the #710 bus to the Dachau Bahnhof. It will take longer.

Posted by
911 posts

I would get there at 10:00 AM and buy the tickets for one of the two times. Dachau is very easy to get to from the train station either by walking or taking the bus. Plan on spending some time there; as there is a lot to take in and comprehend.

Ed