Please sign in to post.

Dachau

Does anyone have a suggestion for a good tour company to use from Munich to Dachau. I know we could go by train ourselves but we have heard it is better to actually have a guide for the camp. I have read the reviews on Trip Advisor and almost all the tours seem to be spotty with the exception of the one operated by Grey Line which also goes to the shooting range.

Posted by
111 posts

Dachau offers 2.5 hour guided tours for just €3.50/person. "Tickets for the guided tour are available at the information desk of the visitors' center. It should be noted that space is limited to 30 people. Please buy your tickets at least 15 minutes in advance. It's not possible to make a reservation. You will be informed of the meeting point for the tour when you purchase your ticket." See the link for more information.
https://www.kz-gedenkstaette-dachau.de/tours_single_visitors.html

Posted by
10221 posts

We did a Radius tour. It originated from Munich. Their office is at the train station. We thought it was an excellent tour and we learned things from the guide as we traveled to Dachau and back, as well as their tour at the camp.

Posted by
2023 posts

We visited Dachau recently and agree with travel man's comments. It is easy to get there by metro and a bus meets the train and takes you there. A guide is not necessary. Allow about three hours for the visit.

Posted by
19092 posts

Having done Dachau on my own, I can't see the value of a 3rd party tour. The camp's own tours are given by guides trained by the camp and taught to include what the camp considers important. I know I don't remember everything told to me by the guide in 2½ hours. How much more important stuff do I need to forget, and how can the guide convey that extra information on a 42 minute (several hours?) round trip in a noisy S-Bahn car where you might not even get to sit near him?

If you are already buying a 6,70€ Innenraum Tageskarte for one person, it's only 2,20€ more for the Munich XXL Tageskarte (3,30€ extra for 2-5 people). (At least Grey Line takes you there and back in their own coaches - still not worth $60 a couple.)

Posted by
8942 posts

I have taken a tour of Dachau. I think having a guide is invaluable.

The guide is imparting important knowledge and answering questions during the entire trip going to and from Dachau. This is not wasted time. This is 6 hours of shared knowledge. That works out to 5.50€ an hour. They have to be licensed by Dachau to do these tours. You can't just walk off the street and be a guide there.

Posted by
32202 posts

I would also highly recommend Radius Tours. The group and guide travel together to the site via train, so that provides some time for the guide to provide background information on Dachau. As I recall the Radius office is in the Munich Hbf so very easy to access.

Posted by
7209 posts

Have taken many students to Dachau Memorial Site I can say that you either need to read a bit information before you go or have a guide so that you can best understand what was going on. Yes you can wander around around, watch the movie, read about the exhibits, but do research a bit on your own before showing up.

On our first few trips we used Stefania Gavazza Zuber as our private guide. I have her email address if you’d like to contact her.

Posted by
824 posts

I visited Dachau in May and I see no need for a guide. The memorial offers audio guides for a nominal fee and the exhibits had written descriptions in both German and English languages.

While we stayed the night in the city of Dachau, there is a bus (726?) which runs from the train station to the memorial (~3km walk).

BTW - we found the Dachau Altstadt to be very charming - it's worth a visit if you have the time.

Posted by
19092 posts

I didn't just walk around. I took the Memorial's own guided tour for 3,50€. I thought it was a great deal at 1,40€/hr., and we had time to ask questions. I would highly recommend the Memorial's tour. I just think 3 hrs of information the Memorial thought was most important (including the movie) is adequate. I don't think it's worth $20 more for three more hours.