Please sign in to post.

D-Ticket

Well, now it is August and I feel that it is time for me to purchase the D-Ticket. All of my other "ducks are in a row"!
I arrive in Frankfurt on Sept. 3 and will use the ticket until Sept. 14.
I understand its limitations and they will not be a problem for me on my itinerary.
I have seen so many different apps recommended (MVV, HVV, VBN, BVG).
Which one has been working the most effectively and easily in the past month or so?
Can I download the app and purchase the D-ticket for September NOW, like today?
When can I cancel it, so I don't get charged for more than one month? I would like to cancel before I leave on Sept. 2
I thought I had found step-by-step instructions on this site a month or two ago, but now I can't find it.
Please kindly and patiently help this senior woman to complete this last thing on my list, so I will not stress about it any more.
Thank you so much.

Posted by
6917 posts

No personal experience with buying the D-Ticket, but I take advice from the Man in Seat 61 most seriously... and he recommends tranzer.com as the easiest, adding in a recent forum post that "with them you don't need to remember to cancel a subscription, and they accept overseas credit cards."

Posted by
185 posts

I downloaded their app, but I definitely don't think it is easy. Still don't see how to purchase the D-Ticket. The website seems like it is more for businesses to use their services. HELP!

Posted by
8784 posts

I have purchased and used the D ticket. I used the MVV app and it worked just fine and was not difficult.

1. I went to the MVV website and set up an account with a login.
  2. Downloaded MVV app on phone and logged in.
  3. Purchased the D ticket for the following month (double check the month)
  4. Received QR code in the app
  5. Received confirmation email that included the link for canceling subscription
  6. Waited 5 minutes and followed link for cancellation and cancelled the subscription.

Result was a D ticket that was good for the month I wanted. Whole process 5-10 minutes.

Posted by
10535 posts

I also used the MVV app and it was easy to both purchase and cancel the ticket.

Posted by
1069 posts

I will also be in Germany in September and planning to buy and use a D-ticket. The advice I have been given is to wait until after August 10 to buy my ticket. I am planning to buy mine using the HVV app as Hamburg is our first German city.

Posted by
2446 posts
  1. Can I download the app and purchase the D-ticket for September NOW, like today?
  2. When can I cancel it, so I don't get charged for more than one month? I would like to cancel before I leave on Sept. 2

3. The advice I have been given is to wait until after August 10 to buy my ticket. I am planning to buy mine using the HVV app as Hamburg is our first German city.

ad 1: That depends on the app you choose. Some let you buy several months in advance, some don't.

ad 2: You have to cancel before the 10th of the previous month, in your case no later than August 10th. But you can buy and cancel after two minutes, it makes no difference. Like @Russ, I would like to refer you to the Man in Seat 61 for more information

ad 3. You may buy as soon as it is possible through the app of your choice. And the choice of the app has nothing to do with where you start your journey. Every carrier sells a nationally valid Deutschlandticket. Please note that the HVV Switch app is extremely picky with foreign credit cards, so don't be disappointed if it doesn't work and use a different app if necessary. In principle, however, HVV Switch is one of the best apps (You should note, however, that there are many fields that you don't have to fill out because it's a multi-purpose app; for example, you don't need to fill out the question about your driver's license if you don't want to rent a car through it).

Posted by
85 posts

We used Fahrplaner AP last year and it was easy. We will use if again this year. It was even easier to cancel it.

Posted by
21 posts

@Carol now retired - Thank you for sharing the step-by-step directions on using MVV! I just bought my ticket and my husband's ticket for our August trip. Also, I've already cancelled the subscriptions, so there's nothing to worry about in the future. Very easy.