Please sign in to post.

COVID Testing for Return to US

Unless things change in the next two weeks (which I don’t expect) I’ll need to get a COVID test on June 29 in or around Bacharach, Germany. Does anyone have any recent information about where to get tested and how much it costs?

Posted by
304 posts

I got tested at a pharmacy in Vienna yesterday. It was €9.90. When I was in Germany last week I saw testing sites everywhere.

Posted by
4690 posts

Are you flying out of Frankfurt? If so, there's a large testing center there. Bacharach is small, I think I saw one site there a few weeks ago, but not open on Sundays. We took the proctored Abbott Emed self-test, and it worked quite well.
Good luck!

Posted by
3843 posts

I have had two trips from the US to Europe in the last 2 months.

I got tested in Berlin in late April at a stand-alone testing site at the end of the block where my B&B is located. Cost was supposed to be 15 euro, but the guy at the desk charged me nothing.

I got tested at a pharmacy 2 blocks from my hotel in Vienna a week ago. Cost was 15 euro.

I would recommend e-mailing your place of lodging in Bacharach and asking them about testing options.

Posted by
6293 posts

I was tested in Berlin (there are testing sites all over) and mine cost €15 (unlike Dave, I had to pay - must have been his handsome face). 😊 I also saw them when I was on the Rhine - just ask at your hotel when you get there. They'll know where they are.

Posted by
60 posts

I flew home via United earlier this week and everyone in my group had a good experience with eMed. It took us about an hour total and we did it from our hotel room the day before we flew. We were able to instantly send the results via the United app. The tests are expensive since you must buy 6, but I believe insurance is required to compensate you for it. Even without that, I think it's a cheaper and probably more flexible option than going to the airport sites. Whatever you choose, good luck and don't worry! It's no big deal.

https://united.emed.com/

Posted by
50 posts

By going directly to the eMed site, I was able to order only 2 tests and charge it to my healthcare flexible savings account.