Please sign in to post.

Christmas near Cologne

We are taking the train from Amsterdam to see Christmas the week before Christmas. Looking for ideas, places to visit, day trips from Cologne which we are using a travel base

Posted by
967 posts

Aachen, Maastricht, Bonn all have nice markets. Cologne has about six. My favorite is at Neumarkt. The Dom market is great if you can go at a less crowded time. Weekends are jammed with people.

Posted by
32 posts

Bonn and Koblenz are nice towns along the Rhine River that have some decent Christmas markets that might be worth checking out, and not very far from Cologne. Trier is another option, it's the oldest city in Germany with a medieval charm and known for being built by the Romans. It's a bit further away, but still very doable as a day trip from Cologne.

Posted by
332 posts

Please be advised Germany has stores closed on Sundays and Saturdays stores are open 1/2 day, grocery store and gas stations have different hours.Check out my hometown Fulda there is a web site and info about the Christmas market as well.

Posted by
7 posts

Susanne, since I will have 7 days in Germany from 12/13 to 12/20 I am thinking of 1 day in Cologne and work my way south visiting the smaller towns on the Rhine and then heading east toward Fulda. Does that make sense instead of day trips back and forth to Cologne?