Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets

Hello, I would like to go to the christmas markets in the beginning of December. Thinking of nurnburg, dresden, prague, cesky krumlov, vienna and Salsburg. Can I fly into Nurnberg? Hotel suggestions? Any Suggestions would be appreciated. It'll be two women traveling. Hotels just need to be safe and preferably near Christmas Markets. I'm thinking we'll travel by train. Thanks

Posted by
8889 posts

To aid you searching, I think you mean Nuremberg (German: Nürnberg). For "Salsburg", do you mean Salzburg or Strasbourg?

Yes Nuremberg/Nürnberg has an airport, but whether you can fly there depends on where you are flying from. A list of airlines and destinations to/from Nuremberg airport is here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuremberg_Airport#Airlines_and_destinations

You then need to consider how to get from one place to another. Another option is Munich airport. Munich (German: München) has a Christmas market, and it is easy to get from there Nuremberg or Salzburg (in opposite directions) for day trips. Prague and Český Krumlov are probably too far to do as day trips from Munich.

Strasbourg is one of the best Christmas Markets, but is an outlier from the rest.

You do know how to look up train times and prices on the DB website? Here: https://www.bahn.com/en/view/index.shtml

Beginning of December is only ~6 weeks away. You need to plan and book fast.

Posted by
330 posts

Hello,
I’ve done Christmas markets and I will tell you the plan that I did:

I stayed in Munich for 3 days. Did several markets there. Then I went to Salzburg and spent the night. Then to Nuremberg and spent the night.

I was then heading to Budapest, have family there, so I stopped in Vienna for a couple of days then ended in Budapest.

I had used a German Christmas Markets website that I found on google.

I have also done a few places in and near of London during the Christmas season. Please send me s private message if you need any additional help.

Have a great time.

Posted by
868 posts

Prague and Český Krumlov are probably too far to do as day trips from
Munich.

But Prague is a easy day trip from Dresden. Or vice versa. Dresden has the better Christmas markets, Prague is the more beautiful city.
If you are just interested in Christmas markets I would skip Cesky Krumlov. For a Christmas market overload consider Seiffen, to the south of Dresden on the German/Czech border. A village with nothing but Christmas shops, but deep in the mountains and a bit difficult to reach by public transport. Here is trip report about the area:
Germany and Prague for the Christmas Markets-12 days of heaven

Posted by
14 posts

Thanks so much for posting the trip report and your advice. Seiffen sounds wonderful. I booked a river cruise from Prague to Vienna. Figured that would be best since I'm getting a very late start in planning.

Posted by
8889 posts

booked a river cruise from Prague to Vienna.

I would question that. AFAIK it is not possible to get from Prague to Vienna by water. The river at Prague (the Elbe) flows north to Dresden and flows into the North Sea at Hamburg. The river in Vienna (the Danube) flows south-west and ends up in the Black Sea on the Rumania-Ukraine border. Opposite directions.
Budapest to Vienna is a common cruise, both are on the Danube

Posted by
2230 posts

Likely Danube cruise and Prague operated by bus from Passau.

I would make more a question mark on levels at river Danube. Currently there is extremely low water in the rivers. I would re-check with tour provider which towns can actually be visited or not.