Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets

My husband and I will be spending 10 days in Germany. We want to visit Christmas Markets, Beer Halls & take in some other must-see sights, ie. Neuschwanstein Castle. We fly into Munich on 11/30 and depart on 12/10. We plan to spend at least 2-3 days in Munich, 1 day in Nuremberg, 1 day in Salzburg and looking to fill our other days. Would you recommend Regensburg, Stuttgart, Innsbruck or elsewhere? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Posted by
2261 posts

For Christmas market and small town experience I recommend Augsburg.

Posted by
903 posts

I highly recommend you overnight in Nuremberg if you plan to do the Christmas market. The place really changes flavor and comes to life after 7pm. That's when the locals all come out and party and most of the tourists are gone. You can get ein stuck of wurst, some Gluhwein, and take a stroll along the Pegnitz river under the holiday lights. Bonus points if it's snowing.

Likewise for Regensburg. The fest grounds there are on a small island and it's really special at night.

Innsbruck too is best after dark in the winter. Especially the old center of town and along the river. Much better than wasting time going to Neuschwanstein, where, unless it's very clear, you really don't get a good view of the castle. Linderhof is better in the winter if you have to do a Schloss visit.

I can't imagine seeing much of Munich in 2-3 days, but if you're bored and want a change of scenery without a lot of time traveling a quick train ride can get you to Augsburg where you can easily walk around the inner city from the train station (like Nuremberg).

Posted by
4 posts

@KGC Thank you for all of your advice! We are in the very early stages of figuring out our itinerary and will likely add more days in Munich. Plus overnights as suggested in Nuremberg/Regensburg to enjoy the markets w/o as many tourists. Last Fall was our 1st trip to Europe (Prague, Poland with 2 days in Vienna) and we definitely tried to do too much, so hoping to learn from our mistakes.

Posted by
970 posts

All the market cities you mentioned are good choices, though I prefer Hall in Tirol down the road from Innsbruck to Innsbruck itself. Salzburg is one of the prettiest for me. Just be mindful that all of these popular markets get too popular on weekends! Nuremburg especially is jammed. Regensburg is high quality but try to be inside the gate in the afternoon before the evening queue starts. I always love the small markets in cute, touristy Rothenburg. If you overnight there, it's easy to get to Nuremburg in an hour, and to very untouristy nearby Dinkelsbuhl in half that.

After a couple of markets you may be done with any shopping, so try to pick some places where there is something else you want to do or see. Salzburg is definitely worth more than a day for me. An electric boat ride on nearby Konigsee can be magical if it's snowing.

Posted by
1296 posts

Regensburg is worth an overnight. The Weihnachtsmarkt is spread over three market places. There is also the pay entrance to the Thurn und Taxis Weihnachtsmarkt. Various beer halls in the city. My favorite is Kneitinger. Maybe look into Bamberg for bier too.

Posted by
3049 posts

I don't consider Augsburg to be a small town and I don't think most Americans would either.

I've visited Regensburg in the summer and loved it, but I can't speak to it's Christmas market.

Most people I know have one thing to say about the Nuremberg Christmas market: "Crowded." But it's the most famous, so people go regardless.

Salzburg has a Krampus festival in addition to it's center Christkindlmarkt which is lovely and one at a palace outside of town but easily reachable via bus. Unfortunately the various Krampus events aside from the run on 11/30 haven't been announced yet, but last year the first Saturday in December was a huge Krampus event. 1 night though, if you arrive early enough, is probably sufficent.

I loved Innsbruck as a city, with the beautiful scenery and mountaintop access so easy from the city, but the Christmas markets were somewhat underwhelming, although there were several scattered throughout the inner town. They were all quiet small, although differently themed. I did enjoy the "world's highest Christmas market" halfway up the mountain, but in reality it was just 5 stands, it was the view that really stood out.

Stuttgart is the most underrated Christmas destination in Germany currently. In addition to Stuttgart's huge and beautiful market, the best city market I've been to (and I've been to lots!), you also have the excellent markets in Esslingen and Ludwigsburg, the former is medevial, and the latter has an elegant Baroque style. I know I'm biased as I live and work in Stuttgart, but I have told people to skip the city based on other itineraries or interests, but I would not skip it for the Christmas markets!

Posted by
143 posts

I have been to many Christmas Markets in Germany. Regensberg is not to be missed. They have a private one on the grounds of the Thun and Taxis (sp?) castle that you have to pay to enter. I almost didn’t but it turned out to be one of my favorites. It has a “romantic” atmosphere, set up like a medieval village with lots of unique crafts and foods.

Posted by
8946 posts

I would certainly include Stuttgart on your market schedule. It is probably the nicest big city market in Germany. Near-by Esslingen is not to be missed either. Include Regensburg and Salzburg and that should be enough. Munichs' market was just ok, nothing special. Nuremberg is just too crowded and not very special. Not sure why everyone wants to go to this one. All the stands look the same and you can't move at night for all the people. Sightseeing there, yes, but not so much for the market.

Posted by
1482 posts

The main markets in Stuttgart, Nürnberg and Munich are all mob scenes in the evening. If you want that frenetic atmosphere they are all great. I liked them best during the day for shopping and would go back to any of them.

My favorite Christmas Market Town is Regensburg, not only for the markets but also the city's atmosphere.

https://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-2010/Regensburg/

https://mcchelsea.smugmug.com/Advent-2010/Thurn-and-Taxis-Palace-Market/