Please sign in to post.

christmas markets

I have a few days to see some Christmas markets in Germany during the week before Christmas. What are the best markets to visit?

Posted by
4758 posts

Where will be be located? There are great markets all over Germany.

Posted by
10 posts

We are not sure. I am thinking of flying into Munich. From Germany we are headed to Paris but thought we would see some German Christmas markets first. I thought Munich would be good but then I read that it would be crowded and that the best ones were in the smaller towns.

Posted by
1230 posts

Must they be in Germany? If your goal is Paris, how about markets in Strasbourg and Colmar?

Posted by
6418 posts

There are as mentioned Christmas markets all over Germany. If you don't want to visit the ones in Munich, you can consider Stuttgart, Augsburg or Ulm, they are all along the train route from Munich to Paris.

Posted by
770 posts

There are tons of German Christmas Market threads on this Forum, as well as Trip Reports. I'd suggest a little broad research into those first. Then come back with some specifics -- this or that?; worth the extra time and detour?; too big? too small? etc.

Posted by
459 posts

My personal favourites are Bremen and Strasbourg, but they are different. Flying into Frankfurt allows you to visit Frankfurt and Mainz easily, then travel on to Strasbourg. I preferred Mainz over Frankfurt.

Posted by
2265 posts

Your definition of "best" or expectations would help because just the headine "Christmas markets" is a huge field from ...
+ permanently to only week(end)ly
+ huge to small
+ partyish to more religious oriented
+ different specials and amount of craftsmanship