Please sign in to post.

Christmas Markets 2024 itinerary

I am planning a Germany Christmas Markets trip for early December and have tentatively come up with the following. I am interested in comments, whether this is doable, anything important I am missing, good restaurant or lodging suggestions. It will be my sister and I (66 and 72 years old but active!)

Arrive in Frankfurt, rent a car
Drive to Rothenburg (stop at Wurtzburg on the way), 3 nights in Rothenburg; Christmas Market, day trip to Nurnberg, walk the wall
Drive to Fussen on Romantic Road, stay 4 nights, Neuschwanstein Castle, Mary’s Bridge, Tegelberg cable car, Oberammergau, Laber Bergbahn gondola, Zugspitze cable car or cogwheel train to summit, Garmisch?, Innsbruck
Drive to Salzburg, drop off car, stay 3 nights, Christmas Market, concert, maybe Bob’s Sound of Music tour?, Berchtesgaden ski area (maybe Berchtesgaden tour?)
Train to Munich, 3 nights, Christmas Market, The Residenz, Dachau
Looking forward to comments/suggestions!

Posted by
451 posts

For Salzburg, keep the car another day or so and go to the markets at the Wolfgangsee. You won't regret it.

Posted by
2320 posts

I assume you are comfortable driving in snow and ice. If not, I would consider taking the train.

Posted by
4707 posts

Did you check the fees if you cross the border with a rental car? Personally, I feel most of the trip can be done by train. Do you really want to drive on icy roads ( review 2023 December storms), park far away from the markets, pay for gas, parking, etc? The trains generally come right into the center of the various towns.

I love Rothenburg, but the markets are very small there, so I'd take away a day.
Perhaps add a night in Regensburg, the markets there get wonderful reviews.
Too much time in Fussen, actually I find the area extremely touristy, a lot of walking, and just not worth it.
Add a day to charming Salzburg, and decrease a day in Munich. From what I've read, there are more charming markets than Munich.
Mrs. Jo is a German resident and the Xmas market expert here, hopefully she will add her thoughts.
I'll attach my 2019 Trip Report here. Altho my trip was different than yours, I'd highly recommend considering Strasbourg/ Colmar and the Stuttgart/ Esslingen markets, for some real magic.
Safe travels!

https://community.ricksteves.com/travel-forum/trip-reports/christmas-markets-switzerland-france-germany-2019

Posted by
142 posts

I love the European Christmas Markets and I go almost every year.
You have to plan for winter weather. I would never drive myself, the train is a better option. Your itinerary especially in the alps would be fine in summer or fall, but won’t make it in December. I was in Munich this December and there were no nice days to go on the Zugspitz, hike to Mary’s Bridge, or any cable cars. You might get snow, but you will get rain in Europe in December. This year there was so much snow they closed the Munich airport in early December. Also the days are short and you can enjoy the Christmas Market’s lights starting about 4 pm.