Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets 2021

We are panning a trip to Germany and Austria mid-late December. (COVID willing). We will likely be flying into Munich. Our plan is to spend 3-4 days in Germany before heading to Salzburg. We've been to Munich before and really enjoyed ourselves. We've also been to Fussen. We'd like to go somewhere new this time and would love advice on where to go. We were thinking Nuremberg for the Christmas markets but have also heard smaller towns might provide more charm (if the markets are open this year). We won't have a car this trip so will need places easily accessible by train. Any advice on where we should go? Thanks!

Posted by
677 posts

The Christmas market at Augsburg is very attractive and it is not very far from Munich. Have you been to Garmisch Partenkirchen?

Posted by
8938 posts

Try Regensburg. Charming town and their Xmas market is supposed to be really nice. Easy to get to by train from Munich and there is great sightseeing options there too.

Posted by
4675 posts

Mrs. Jo, I'm going to be in Germany in the Spring, 2022. Should we spend a few nights in Regensburg, or day trip from Rothenburg?
Thanks for always being so helpful!

Posted by
1479 posts

I will add a plug for Regensburg and its Christmas Market at the Thurn and Taxis Palace. I see that they are showing it to be between 19 November and 23 December this year.

https://www.wm-tut.de/start-page#header-grafik-container

I have traveled a couple times between Rothenburg to Regensburg by train. It would be too long for me to do a day trip. Regensburg is one of our favorite small cities in Germany. There was little damage in WWII and it a pleasure just to walk about.