Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets

My friend and I plan to go to Germany for 10 to 14 days in late November and December to visit the Christmas markets. Has anyone done this? And can you suggest an itinerary? I have worked one out but I would love the knowledge of someone who has already done it.

Posted by
8655 posts

Jane if you use the search option of the Forum you’ll find countless comments about German Christmas Markets. The search box can be accessed by clicking on the horizontal bars in the header on the top left.

Posted by
8941 posts

You can also go check out the Trip Report section where many of us posted the various trips we took this year or in former years.

Posted by
2396 posts

First decide where you woulld like to go without considering the Christmas markets.

Posted by
540 posts

We just returned from a German Christmas Market trip last month and loved it. This is what we did. We flew in and out of Frankfurt (non stop on Lufthansa). We went to the Frankfurt market the first night and the Mainz market the last night (small town just outside Frankfurt). In-between we home based in Nuremberg for five nights and took day trips to the following markets: Rothenberg, Wurzberg, Bamberg, and Regensberg (Thurn & Taxis castle market). We loved this set up because were were never more than an hour or so away from those cities and with Nuremberg being a major rail station, we had many train departure options. Plus, there was plenty to do in Nuremberg during the day. So we saw one site during the day, went back to the hotel for a short rest, then took the train to one of the other markets timed to arrive just about sunset and spend the evening there and returned back to Nuremberg. We absolutely loved all the markets and the pace of the trip. If/when we go back, I would structure it the same way except a different home base like Berlin or Munich.

Posted by
2017 posts

We also went last month just for the Christmas Markets. We went to Munich as well as Salzburg, which are close enough to make it an easy train trip (about 2 hours). We had been to both cities before, but not at market time. With 10-14 days, you could easily add a 3rd city.