Please sign in to post.

Christmas markets

We will be visiting the Christmas Markets with our home base in nuremberg. I've thought about Rothenburg, Bamberg, Coburg, and Stuttgart. Any I should add or delete?

Kate

Posted by
5697 posts

How long do you have ? Regensberg and Wurzburg are also on my list of possible places for day-trips from Nuremberg.

Edited to add: we will also have bases in Stuttgart and Munich.

Posted by
15576 posts

I encourage you to go to Stuttgart so you can visit the medieval market in nearby Esslingen.

Posted by
1288 posts

I've never been to the Stuttgart Weihnachtmarkt so can't say. For a day into night trip I would recommend Regensburg. The old city is beautifully decorated with lights for the evening. There are three different Weihnachtmarkt market squares and the pay to enter Thurn Und Taxis Schloss Weihnachtmarkt. The old city of Regensburg along the Danube also offers old lanes and historical sites, and many unique cafes, restaurants, bars and stores. I'd visit all you've listed, but plan a few in darkness after 17:00, maybe an overnight.

Posted by
4 posts

I really want to get the the Christmas Markets this year, I've been talking about it for about 5 years now. The Nuremberg one is the best known, not sure if its the biggest but it may well be also.

Posted by
8938 posts

Stuttgart is the best big city market and Esslingen is a must. In comparison, Nuremberg looks rather boring, with all the stands looking the same and it is too crowded. No thanks.

Posted by
3834 posts

I'll add a vote for the Stuttgart area markets. Three distinct markets in one place -- big city market at Stuttgart whose huts all have decorated roofs, super cool medieval market at Esslingen (be there after dark to experience it best), and Baroque market at Ludwigsburg. I would go back to the Stuttgart markets. Nürnberg? It was nice to see once. I actually preferred it during the day and found it fairly miserable at night due to crowding. You would need a second base in the Suttgart area to pull that off.

Posted by
26 posts

I have been on one Christmas market trip and am forever planning a next one!

I agree about Nuremberg, not my fave; much too crowded.

I would like to try Stuttgart, but that close to France, why not go to Strasbourg? t could be done as a day trip. I've found that different countries have different flavors of Christmas markets. I haven't been, so can anyone chime in on that area?

And if I were in Munich, I would be hard pressed not to go to Innsbruck (1 hr 45 by train) for at least two nights. It is a magical place in winter with plenty to do! Get a 24 hour Innsbruck card, climb the city hall tower, go to the Folk Art Museum, take the Nordkettenbahn, stop at the Alpenzoo and continue up to Hungerburg (visit the little market there) and Hafelekar and watch the sun go down. Wander around the old town market, eat as much Kiachl as you can, and try to guess all the fairy tale scenes painted on the buildings. Browse the shops (ok, touristy but fun) and ogle the amazing displays in the huge Swarovski store. Stay at the RS recommended Weisses Kreuz, where Mozart and his father stayed. Look out your window at the Goldenes Dachl and feast on the best breakfast ever. (It's noisy but when you shut the windows it keeps the noise out.)

Remember you can't spend all day every day at Christmas markets, it gets old. So make sure that there are other things you want to do in the cities that you visit.