Please sign in to post.

Christmas in munich, Salzburg 2015 with children

Planning a trip for 7 days with 7 adults and 5 children. Suggested itinerary and places to stay to make the most of the Christmas season. And any favorite activities with young children. Many thanks!

Posted by
328 posts

It would help to know the age range of the children but in Munich I'd suggest the Deutsches Museum, Tierpark Hellabrunn (zoo), a visit to Hofbrauhaus for a riesige brezen (huge pretzel) and Spezi (half cola half lemonade drink that we loved as kids), if the weather isn't too cold a walk through the Englisher Garten would be fun. There is a nice big toy store called 'Obletter' in Karlsplatz, Munich that would be fun to visit with the kids.

Of course the Christmas Markets would be worth exploring but there are others who know more about them than I do on this forum.

As a day trip from Munich I'd recommend Oberammergau. In December is just feels 'right' ... like an old-world Christmas, especially if there is snow. It's a small town, too, so you wouldn't have to worry about losing the kids in traffic or crowds.

Posted by
5697 posts

In case you're planning to be in Salzburg or Munich ON Christmas (24th through 26th) you might want to get an apartment -- many restaurants close down and it's harder to find a place for dinner (unless you want a €100 holiday meal.) Hotel breakfast is hearty, though.

Posted by
5372 posts

This link provides some ideas of what to do in the Salzburg area over Christmas. Markets are popular, of course, especially the one at Hellbrunn (best for small kids). Sleigh rides up in the mountains, caroling at Oberndorf, where Silent Night originated. The markets at Wolfgangsee are particularly beautiful.

As for your itinerary and places to stay, I think you need to figure that out and send a draft along for comments. We are only volunteers after all, not free travel agents!

Posted by
980 posts

A good Christmas market for children is the Mittelaltermarkt, or medieval market, on Wittelsbacherplatz. People dressed up in medieval costumes, food on sticks cooked over fires, falconry (at least when I was there), puppet shows, the list goes on. Way more interesting things for kids than your "traditional" Christmas market full of trinkets.

If you have a car and good winter gear, another great activity for kids (and adults) is to go sledding at Wallberg (http://www.wallbergbahn.de/en/winter/sledding-run/). It says its not suitable for small children but they are referring to small children controlling the sled themselves. I've taken a 3 yr old down on my sled with no problems and the sleds can take 2 people no problem.

DJ

Posted by
16893 posts

Each country or city's official tourist office web site has recently been highlighting winter activities, so try to check a few of those for ideas, before they change their focus to spring.