Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Munich

My husband and I are traveling to Munich for Christmas to visit our son who is studying abroad in Eichstaett, near Ingolstadt. He suggested that Munich would be a good place since it is a train hub and a big town. Any hint out there on what we could do during the holiday period (Dec. 22-31)? We've been there in the summer. We are going to try to visit all the churches we didn't see the first visit. Any day trips which would be possible in the winter? Any places to avoid?

Posted by
1482 posts

The Christmas Markets will be ending shortly after you get there. Still, enjoy them for a day.

December 24th and 25th will be quiet. Make sure you have a meal reservation for these days. I would add have snacks in the room. One Christmas in Salzburg, we had traditional boiled carp as the only choice for a meal this time of year. It was inedible for me.

Although it will be quiet the rest of your stay, things will be open moderate size towns. Two of my favorites are short day trips from Munich: Regensburg and Landshut. Regensburg is a UNESCO World Heritage Site for its middle ages buildings. Landshut is wonderful for its Baroque building facades. The Augustiner and Hofbräuhaus in Landshut are very good for German cooking. Augsburg is also a good day visit. Do a little research on these three and I think that you will find something that you like.

While things are quieter and dark comes early, there is a nice atmosphere in Germany this time of year. I lived in Germany for six years and the non-tourist season was a good time to imbibe a bit and feel connected.