Please sign in to post.

Christmas hotel in Bavaria or surrounding areas

We are looking to spend Christmas in Bavaria or the surrounding areas and are looking for suggestions for hotels that have Christmas festivities going on, especially Christmas Eve. Does anyone have any suggestions. Also we are willing to consider other areas as well if there is a great Christmas atmosphere. We would prefer snow but that isn't a must. We are a family of four, two kids ages 11 and 6.

Posted by
12040 posts

in Bavaria or the surrounding areas

Explain what you mean. Bavaria is the largest federal state in the country and has a very diverse landscape. Do you mean the Bavarian Alps?

Posted by
1297 posts

My perspective is this year the fourth Advent is early 16- 18 Dec 16. Most Christmas markets will end latest 23 Dec 16. Unless you are in a ski region, not much may be going on as far as festivities 23-26 Dec 16. 26 Dec is also a German holiday. 24-26 Dec is more a family time at home, but for younger folks bars and some parties late 24 and 25 Dec 16. Some church activities too. Maybe ski regions in Germany and Austria and associated towns would be better suited to what to are looking for even though you may not ski. This is high season and you need to get reservations in early (now). Many places will accept at a minimum a week stay. A family Gasthause/Hotel in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Obertsdorf etc. that caters to tourists in ski regions may be your best bet, with an old town/town. Key is German/European families away from home celebrating the Holiday. You would be surprised how quickly Christmas markets come down 24 Dec 16. By New Years all will be put away.

Posted by
10 posts

Yes, we were thinking the Bavarian Alps. We were hoping for a hotel that was decorated for the season and had a nice dinner or was in an area that had some festivities such as caroling, sleigh, etc..

Posted by
1297 posts

I'll have to defer to others for suggestions as to where to stay. I have stayed in Garmish a few times, but I can't say I would recommend a place. I must say that snow is not a sure thing in December there, but the Christmas market is nice and a lot of things to see in the area even though they really cantor to tourists. Mittenwald is near by too. You can catch a Schuhplattler slap dance in Partenkirchen at http://www.gasthof-fraundorfer.de/ but I would not necessarily recommend staying there. There is World Cup ski jumping New Years Day too. They will make/transport the snow to make it happen. You can go up to the top of the Zugspitz too.

Posted by
179 posts

For this year's Christmas, you are lucky if you find any accomodation at a site which has the remote chance of snow. You had to have that booked about one year in advance. At least one week of stay and fixed arrive/depart dates are pretty standard in Christmas season.

To avoid endless phone calls, pick a place you want to go and call/email the local tourist information. They find out for you which hotels at the place still have vacancies. Use that service. It's free.

And: does it have to be Bavaria? There are other mountainsides in Germany which give you a cozy Christmas feeling (with some snow, too) and which aren't crowded as the ski resorts in the Alps.

Posted by
179 posts

Just to check: if you insist on downhill skiing at Christmas, the Alps are your only option. The other mountainsides may have snow then but it's not sure they have enough for skiing. But it doesn't have to be Bavaria then, Austria (Tyrol) or Switzerland may suit you better. Be prepared for large crowds of people having the same idea, skiing on Christmas. If skiing is nice but optional, you may go better with Schwarzwald, Bayerischer Wald, Röhn, Sauerland, Erzgebirge or Harz.

I can't think of a medium/bigger hotel at a winter tourism site which does not have a special Christmas celebration, a dance, for the kids a visit of Santa and the like. Similar any German city has a Christmas market, how big and/or impressive it is doesn't rely on how big or known the city is. There aren't much other special Christmas activities in Germany, what you can do at the time depends on the things the place you go offers during the whole winter season.

Posted by
12040 posts

The best hotel where I've stayed in Garmisch-Partenkirchen is the Atlas Grand. Not the cheapest, though.

The Fraundorfer just don't the street is cheaper and quite comfy, but they don't have as many rooms. But the restaurant on the first floor has live music almost nightly.

Other Bavarian towns that might give you good winter holiday options are Mittenwald and Oberstdorf.

Posted by
513 posts

Perhaps you ought to check out Oberammergau. It is a small (quaint) town that might just meet your needs.

Posted by
993 posts

Hi:

Tacking on as I have a similar question - we will be in Germany over Xmas too... Were thinking of going to Garmisch. Does anyone know if the skiing is open from Dec 24-26? Trying to figure out if there is anything to do during those days since they seem to be pretty quiet...

Thanks!
kim

Posted by
10 posts

OK so we decided on doing Munich for 5 nights, Salzburg for 2 and then 4 nights in Kizbuhel over the holidays to ski. Any suggestions for activities? Also was looking at Neuschwanstein Castle. Is it worth all the trouble to get there? Our kids are 11 and 6, will the hike from the bus be too much for them? Will it be too cold to enjoy?

Posted by
1297 posts

Honestly temperature in Füssen in December can fluctuate fairly wide. Where I am at in Oberpfalz (other side of Bayern) during the Holiday season the last 15 years it has been as warm as 50F and as cold as 2F. Snow is also problematic, but in Füssen you are in the beginning of the Alps and the Tegelberg is a ski area. If you want to make the trip then just prepare... Layers, gloves a hat and a scarf. The cold can become part of the trip if you are not used to it. A good excuse for a hot chocolate, Glühwein or a Schnaps too. From what I remember the hike from the bus was lite. If you are skiing in Kizbuhel I would guess you are prepared for the cold?

Maybe plan one night in the Füssen area. Enough to see the castles and the town, get there early the first day and leave late the next. This place has been on German travel shows for the food and I stayed there overnight once. Not too bad, but outside Füssen in Schwangau-Horn. They also have pickup from the train station. You can see the distant lighted Neuschwanstein from the hotel: http://www.helmerhof.de/

Posted by
332 posts

I would find a B&B .We stayed in Garmisch at a B&B and loved it. I agree nothing is open, markets are closed as well so are supermarkets. Its time for families and rest!