Please sign in to post.

A week around The Rhine ending in Frankfurt

We would like to visit around the Rhine Gorge section.
We will be coming from Belgium and leave a week later from Frankfurt.
Would like a day in Frankfurt and possibly a visit to Cologne Cathedral
Want to see the Lorelei Rock and the most scenic river area
Any suggestions for traveling on the river?
We would like a train trip or 2 in this, We don't want to drive . We are fit seniors and can walk all day( though that is not my plan.)
Thanks for any suggestions. If I have got it completely wrong can you put me on the right track.

Posted by
8889 posts

ckennedy, I am seriously troubled by your geography.

will be in Paris for a week late March. We intend to travel to Brussels and Bruges then possibly Lichtenstein for a day.

Liechtenstein (spelling!) is nowhere near Paris, Brussels or Brugge.

From there we would like to visit around the Rhine .We will have a week and will fly out of Frankfurt .... it appears that the boats don't start running until we leave

The Rhine is a very long river. If you are talking about the Rhine Gorge section, from Koblenz to Bingen, you can easily get there from Belgium by train, spend a few days and then go on to Frankfurt airport. You do not need a "Rhine boat" to visit this area, it is easily accessible by train, there are train lines along both sides of the gorge.

You equally do not need a car for any of his trip.
Paris - Brussels - Brugge - Koblenz - Rhine Gorge - Bingen - Frankfurt airport is all doable by train, and less stressful than by car.
Liechtenstein - save for another trip, or simply forget, not that high on anybody's bucket list.

Posted by
6658 posts

"it appears that the boats don't start running until we leave.Is that correct?"

The Bingen-Rüdesheimber cruise covering the southern end of the scenic part (Burgenfahrten) is running from March 25 on. It covers Rüdesheim, Aßmannshausen, Trechtingshausen, and Bingen 3 times per day. See schedule in top left box (in German) and map on this flyer:
http://www.bingen-ruedesheimer.de/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/BINRUED_Fahrplan2017_FINAL

Most of the small towns will be uncomfortably quiet at that time, I imagine. But if you stay in either Bingen or Rüdesheim you'll be well positioned for the cruise and also for a train outing to the south into Mainz (from Bingen) or Wiesbaden (from R'heim. And of course you can take a train outing from either Bingen or R'heim north along the river; tracks run along both sides and meet in Koblenz. Rüdesheim will be a bit livelier than Bingen, but Bingen has an exceptional view of the river from Bingen's Rhine promenade if you are able to book in the NH Bingen hotel. The breakfast hall is great too. And the most popular small towns are on the Bingen side to the north (Bacharach, Oberwesel, St. Goar (Rheinfels Castle) and Boppard.) If you stay in R'heim, a train trip north takes you to Braubach, home of Marksburg Castle, the only intact/accessible castle tour on the Rhine, and very worthwhile (It is possible to reach Braubach from Bingen as well - just use one of the passenger ferries to cross the river, then the train.) Rheinfels in St. Goar is a set of ruins with a museum and also worthwhile.

Koblenz is OK but IMO not as interesting on the whole as Mainz and Wiesbaden. I would not recommend staying there since you need access to the Koblenz rail station, and while there are hotels in that area, the area itself is relatively uninspiring.

Posted by
20158 posts

The KD boats do not begin operating until April 8, but they are easily seen from the train. St Goar is a good place to stop for the view. There is also a ferry there to cross the river.
A trip to Liechtestein will be the most underwhelming journey of your life.

Posted by
8947 posts

The boats are running, just maybe only one per day. If there are enough people, they run all year round. Have been on them in Feb. and March many times. When in March will you be here?

The Loreley is the most underwhelming sight. Small statue at the point which you may miss unless pointed out to you, otherwise, the whole cliff looks just like the rest of the area. If they didn't tell you it was the tallest point along the Rhine, you wouldn't know it by looking at it. On the ship, they will play the Loreley song.

Get on your ship in Rüdesheim, Bingen or Assmanshausen. Take it to St. Goar, train back to Frankfurt. Get off the train in Bacharach or Ober-Wesel if desired.

Mainz is worth a visit if you are in this area. The cathedral here is very different from the one in Cologne, but centuries older. It is one of my favorites, as I prefer Romanesque architecture over Gothic, but that is a personal preference.

You can spend several days in Frankfurt itself, but we need to know what your interests are. Wide variety of museums, lots of markets, lots of historical sites, and several medieval era churches.