Please sign in to post.

car rental questions

We are arriving by train in Baden Baden and want to rent a car there, dropping it off a few days later. We originally hoped to drop the car in Fussen, where we'll be staying for a couple of nights, and then heading to Salzburg. But that doesn't seem to be an option (no rental companies seem to offer that possibility).

So we are looking at dropping off either at the train station in Munich or in Freilassing and continuing on to Salzburg.

First question: am I missing something obvious, because it seems weird that I can't pick up in Baden Baden and drop off in Fussen?

Second: is it a huge pain to get to the train station in Munich by car? It's much closer, but also seems like it could be a hassle?

Third: the less expensive cars are electric, and I have no experience of that. Is it easy to drive electric cars in Germany? Is it easy to find recharging stations?

Many thanks!!

Posted by
6663 posts

We originally hoped to drop the car in Fussen, where we'll be staying for a couple of nights,

Try dropping in Kaufbeuren instead. Worked for me with pick-up in Baden-Baden on the Autoeurope site. Both europcar and sixt showed rental options. But of course I can't say for certain that it will work for you as I do not have your rental dates.

From Kaufbeuren it's a 1-hr direct train ride into Füssen on the regional train. As you can see on this map of railways in the area, Kaufbeuren is directly north of Füssen. Trains appear to leave Kaufbeuren every hour at :45 after the hour.

Posted by
19110 posts

Can you rent a car from Hertz in Baden-Baden? There is a Hertz rental car agency right across the river from Füssen in Schwangau, at 112 Füssener Str.

There is a Europcar rental agency in Freising at the intersection of Salzburger Str. and Ludwig-Zeller-Str. From near there are buses which will take you into the old town Salzburg. It's about a 1 km walk to the Freising Hbf.

There are Europcar agencies in Baden-Baden.

Posted by
2353 posts

@Lee:
"There is a Europcar rental agency in Freising at the intersection of Salzburger Str. and Ludwig-Zeller-Str. "

You probably wanted to say Freilassing.

Posted by
19110 posts

you probably wanted to say Freilassing

Yes I did. Darn, those German towns are so confusing. They're all spelled so much the same. Why can't they be like American towns.

Posted by
2353 posts

You had the opportunity to regulate that between 1945 and 1955. So, no complaints please ;).