Please sign in to post.

Car rental Munich

We will be renting a car in Munich , heading to Fussen and beyond in mid September this year. (Prior to Octoberfest). My question is, should the car be picked up at the train station or the airport. We will be staying in central Munich, returning the car to Frankfurt after a couple of weeks traveling in France and Germany. I understand driving in Munich is difficult. We'll just be leaving and I am accustomed to driving in large cities. Have rented in France and Italy previously. How difficult can it be? Under the circumstances, what would you do? Thanks.

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi Bob,

We've driven into Munich and parked by the Hauptbahnhof twice, not too much trouble getting into or out of Munich. If you prefer, you could train to Garmisch, which is about an hour from Fuessen, and pick up your car there. The airport is a good distance from Munich and in the opposite direction of where you're heading. You'd probably be adding at least 1:30 to your entire drive by going out to the airport and then driving right back by Munich and on to Fuessen.

Paul

Posted by
16893 posts

Given your experience, I also think you'll be fine to drive out of the city by the major roads. I did drive in and out of Munich years ago.

Posted by
12040 posts

Munich is probably the worst city in Germany for driving. It's doable, but expect a bit of trial and error. Particularly now, when all the feeder arteries and parts of the inner ring are undergoing a massive reorganization. I find most other German cities pretty easy to navigate by car, however. Even Berlin. Well, maybe not Stuttgart either.

I would pick up the car at the Hauptbahnhof on the way out of the city.

Posted by
321 posts

Hi Bob- just a quick comment- you might not get your car of choice at the train station. But in this case it seems like a waste to go to the airport then back to the middle of the city to pick everyone up then back out of the city. You might want to rent through Gemut.com - they have a pretty good reputation for helping out if something goes awry-

Have a great trip!!!

Posted by
2908 posts

Hi again Bob,

We have rented through Andy Bestor at www.gemut.com for our last few trips. Highly recommend them.

Paul

Posted by
2779 posts

Quite often you can save 20% on your rental if you do not pick up at an airport or train station but at a regular downtown office. In Munich it's very easy to get to downtown by train from the airport.

If you managed to drive in Italy and France Munich will be easy - so don't worry about that bit. The question is will you need a car for your days in Munich as there is no free parking. I'd probably only pick it up toward the end of my time in Munich when I want to explore the vicinity or Alpine region and travel on...

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for your help. I will be renting at the train station when leaving Munich.