Please sign in to post.

Car rental insurance

Need advice on car rental insurance in Germany.

Many options: add to trip insurance, credit card insurance coverage, buying Super CDW.

When I rented car in Ireland, I purchased maximum insurance and glad I did but not sure what is best in Germany.

What is recommended?

Posted by
3594 posts

If you have an Amex card, they sell true no deductible rental car insurance at such a reasonable rate that I have to consider the prices charged by the rental companies to be super-gouging. It varies slightly according to what state you live in ( ?), but for us in California, $26 buys up to 42 days of coverage. I have made a claim, and they were very prompt at settling. Since the only condition is that you must use your Amex card for the rental, They put the claim cost on hold, so you don’t have to front the money and get reimbursed later.

Posted by
17 posts

Many premium credit cards come with free travel insurance which covers the extra insurance cover. Check if yours does and the level it provides. If yours doesn't, go on-line and check out 'additional hire car insurance'. You can buy a policy for a short period or an annual policy. I have claimed against one and it paid up easily. Have the insurance before you pick up the car and DON'T buy the insurance from a car hire company.

Posted by
5697 posts

Agree with Rosalyn that the extra per-rental Amex insurance is a good deal and very comprehensive -- but if another credit card has really good included coverage you might want to check that out as well. Used the Amex several times before I got Chase Sapphire Reserve, which we have used for the last 3 rentals.
No claims on either.
Note that you need to sign up for Amex separately before you rent.