Please sign in to post.

Car rental in Munich

We will be in Germany in June starting and ending in Munich and would like to rent a car for about 10 days. There are 7 people in our party. Any suggestions best way to do this? Rent a van or two smaller cars? Appreciate the recommendations. Thanks!

Posted by
2244 posts

In the inner part of Munich a rental car is not a real benefit. Public transport is the better option there.
For destinations that can be reached well by rail Deutsche Bahn offers group saver fares.

Personally I would opt for two separate vehicles - just for the comfort and to have space for luggage.
If you are fine to sit with 7 people in a limited space for some hours a van is possible but not with huge luggage portions for each person.

Info: If you do not rent a car drectly at an airport or a train station you will save money. At these and some very prominent places an extra station surcharge is taken. This is done by all rental car firms.

Info 2: From mid to end of June the soccer championship is started and ongoing. Munich is one of the Stadion places.

Posted by
7 posts

MarkK, thank you for the response. We will be in Munich two days and will use public transport. After that we move on to Garmisch, Berchtesgaden, and rothenburg. It is in these areas we would like to have a car. Good to know about airport rentals being more expensive. Will keep looking at options. Thankfully, we fly home on June 11 before the soccer begins. Thanks!

Posted by
2244 posts

I do not know if the German Apine Road is already on your bucket list for the trip?

Some places in Bavaria have Asparagus week at begin of June. Worth trying for foodies.

Have a safe and good journey.

Posted by
28 posts

I rented a 9 passenger van from the Munich airport in 2019 for a week. We travelled from Frankfurt back to Munich and on to Salzburg with stops in-between. There were 6 in our party (all adults) with luggage. It worked great.

Posted by
99 posts

If you want the easy of in and out of Munich rent the car at the airport on the way out of Munich to Garnish and you stay way out of the city traffic. I would rent the van because there might be more room for the luggage. Go to Auto Europe and you will see three or more auto rental companies. Hertz is one of the big ones so you can get pricing.