Please sign in to post.

Car insurance

Hello All,
We want to rent a car in Germany for 10 days and just wondering where i could get a car insurance? There are 7 of us and my husband and brother-in-law are the drivers. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Posted by
1216 posts

Hi. Liability insurance will be provided for free by the rental company. You can buy optional damage and theft insurance from the car rental company, or your credit card likely has damage and theft insurance as a free benefit; get details from your credit card company. Also, see the travel tips section of this website on renting cars in Europe. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
8155 posts

You should start by contacting your auto insurance agent to see if your auto(s) primary coverage goes with you to Germany. In many cases, they cover you in most European countries except Italy, Northern Ireland and some Eastern European countries.
When people have a credit card that furnishes coverage, it is often seconday to their home primary coverage. And often coverage purchased from the car rental company is often secondary to your primary insurance policy on your personal car. (Rental ins. in Italy is mandatory but relatively inexpensive.)
When insurance is purchased from rental companies, they pocket the funds as a profit department. Very few rental operations have physical damage and comprehensive insurance.
Like I say, start by checking with your home insurance agent. If not covered, you can go online and read the terms and conditions on your specific credit card online.

Posted by
2916 posts

You should start by contacting your auto insurance agent to see if your auto(s) primary coverage goes with you to Germany.

I have my doubts as to whether any auto insurance policy in the US extends coverage to Germany (or anywhere else in Europe). The standard policy limits coverage to accidents occurring in the US, Canada, and Puerto Rico.

Posted by
2908 posts

Your car insurance here in the States will not cover a rental in Europe.

Check out American Express' Premium Car Rental Insurance Program. We've used this every time we rent a car in Europe.

Paul

Posted by
1557 posts

As per Paul, your insurance in the States will not cover you in Europe. Unless your husband and brother-in-law are named Siegfried and Roy - which I doubt but you never know - you will not cram seven people with luggage into a car.

AutoEurope is your best bet.

Posted by
11294 posts

Even if you could find a car that would hold 7 people and their luggage, you will do much better with two smaller cars. Not only will they be much easier to maneuver and park, but it will give you much more flexibility, if you want to split up for a day or part of one (say, to see different things in the morning, then meet up after lunch).

Posted by
16893 posts

Note that credit card insurance excludes some larger vehicles, such as vans over 8 passengers, as in this example from Visa. If you were to reserve a 7-passenger van and get "upgraded" on the car lot to a 9-passenger version, that could be an issue.

Posted by
2908 posts

Call Andy Bestor from www.gemut.com for advice.

My opinion is to get two cars. A van or any vehicle for 7 will be tough going on a lot of the narrow twisting roads. In larger towns and cities, something that large will be a nightmare.