Please sign in to post.

Burg Eltz Bus #365?

Hi,

I've seen some information that seems to conflict regarding the bus from Hatzenport to Burg Eltz Castle. Can someone confirm if bus #365 does in fact run every day OR is that bus only running on weekends and holidays as some sources I have seen? If the bus is not running, I'd appreciate information regarding how to get to Burg Eltz. I am traveling with my parents and I believe a 10k round trip walk would be very strenuous for them. Thank you!

• Greg
Posted by
6924 posts

Happy to help, Greg. The bus runs every day now. The weekends-only comment was in previous years. I assume you are not sleeping in Hatzenport but in Cochem or somewhere else nearby. Where are you and your parents starting out from that day? The idea is to get a schedule from that place to the Burg Eltz, Wierschem bus stop from the DB website, which gives both train and bus information for your travel date. Just enter your starting point, travel date, the time you wish to leave, etc. Then do the same thing for the return trip (if you are returning.) Ticketing is seamless.

If you want help with this, just post your date, etc. on the forum and you'll get some help or confirmation of whatever results you get from the DB site. 

https://int.bahn.de/en/

Posted by
7565 posts

Greg, it definitely should be running. If you go to this site - https://www.vrs.de/en/drive/stop-information/information-on-stops/line-details/linie/de:vrs:3365 - you can download the Bus 365 schedule.

The bus will take you to the large parking area below Burg Eltz, and from there, you take the shuttle up to the castle.

You might be able to get a better visual from the guide at the castle's website. The timetable is a lot clearer. :-)
https://burg-eltz.de/files/cto_layout/img/Bilder%20Home/Regio%20Bus%20365_Englisch.jpg

Posted by
19232 posts

I can remember back when they first started running a bus to Wiescheim/Burg Eltz. It was only on weekends and only a few a day, two to the castle in the morning, two back in the afternoon. Now they're everyday and a lot more often. Back then, the bus started in Treis and went through Moselkern before going to Hatzenport and on to Burg Eltz. Hatzenport is a rail station between Koblenz and Cochem.

I was not sure the bus went to the castle or just to Wierschem, which is about 4 km away (Google Maps doesn't show any bus stops in Wierschem or near Burg Eltz. Now I can see from the castle's website, that it goes to the parking lot close to the castle.

Posted by
2 posts

Thanks Russ, Mardee, and Lee for sharing the very helpful information!

We will be starting in Bacharach. We'll take the train to Koblenz and then the train to Hatzenport. We'll be heading back to Bacharach whenever we have seen what we need to see at Burg Eltz.

• Greg
Posted by
6924 posts

There is a day pass that covers your round-trip as described for €42/3 adults, including the buses... The Rheinland-Pfalz ticket. It's valid at any hour on Saturdays, Sundays and official holidays. Buy it on the DB app or from a ticket machine at Bacharach station.

On weekdays you must start out from Bacharach after 9 am with this ticket. Random check of a Wednesday in September shows the 10:21 - 12:38 journey to be the first eligible departure, as you outlined it. On a random September Saturday, earlier choices would also be available with this ticket (8:04 or 8:50.) Since you're starting out from such a distant base town, and you'll have about 4.5 hours round-trip for this outing, doing this trip on the weekend, if you have a choice, and leaving earlier, will allow some time in your day for other activities or sightseeing.

If you have the Deutschland Ticket, there are no weekday time restrictions, and everything is covered. Leave as early as you like on any day you like.

Posted by
19232 posts

When will you be making this trip? If it's before November 2 this year, it should be no problem, but for next year, you'll need to check back to see if the route and its timing are again in effect.
On the VRM network map, the part of the route from Münstermaifeld to Burg Eltz is shown as a dotted line. The legend says dotted lines are zeitweise Linienführung, which Google translates as "temporary routing". On the schedule linked by Russ, above, it shows the route number, 33, with the footnote, nur von 29.03. bis 1.11, "only from March 29 [2024, I assume] until November 1" - roughly the dates when Burg Eltz is open.

Posted by
7565 posts

We'll take the train to Koblenz and then the train to Hatzenport.

Greg, that's exactly the way I went and it was really easy. Hopefully you will be able to find the exit out of the Hatzenport station easier than me. :-) It's a very small station and I was the only one there after disembarking from the Koblenz train. I could see the bus station for the 365 bus from where I stood but unfortunately there were train tracks in front of me and I couldn’t figure out how to get across. Usually there’s a bridge or an underground tunnel but I didn't seen anything like that.

I started walking to the left (as I faced the town) along the tracks and quickly realized that this was taking me nowhere. Luckily I ran into a woman jogging and she pointed me in the right direction. Turns out I just had to turn around and walk back where I came from and a little bit further and there it was. :-)